France proposed bicycle helmet law for kids under 12

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 10140
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: France proposed bicycle helmet law for kids under 12

Postby Cunobelin » 7 Mar 2017, 8:45am

I simply wish thatthey would be honst about this.

I know that Cycle Helmets are NOT formal PPE, but the principle is interesting

The Hierarchy of control:

Image

When a helmet is discussed as "Safety" equipment there should be a compulsory statement in the legislation:

Having failed to eliminate the problem of bad driving, having failed to replace bad driving with a safer substitute, having failed to engineer a road environment safe for cyclists, having failed to take any administrative steps to prevent bad driving......... We are now (in desperation) resorting to the least effective, least sustainable and least reliable option and making cyclists wear helmets

Ruadh495
Posts: 413
Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 11:10am

Re: France proposed bicycle helmet law for kids under 12

Postby Ruadh495 » 7 Mar 2017, 12:30pm

But the problem isn't bad driving directly, it's falls from cycles. After all about 30% of child fatalities are reported as occurring off-road.

So elimination is simple; ban bicycles...

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 10140
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: France proposed bicycle helmet law for kids under 12

Postby Cunobelin » 7 Mar 2017, 2:48pm

Ruadh495 wrote:But the problem isn't bad driving directly, it's falls from cycles. After all about 30% of child fatalities are reported as occurring off-road.

So elimination is simple; ban bicycles...


What about the other 70%?

Ruadh495
Posts: 413
Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 11:10am

Re: France proposed bicycle helmet law for kids under 12

Postby Ruadh495 » 7 Mar 2017, 3:43pm

Those were on road, though it wasn't reported what proportion involved cars...

I'm teasing though, maybe even trolling.

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 17178
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: France proposed bicycle helmet law for kids under 12

Postby [XAP]Bob » 7 Mar 2017, 3:47pm

Ruadh495 wrote:But the problem isn't bad driving directly, it's falls from cycles. After all about 30% of child fatalities are reported as occurring off-road.

So elimination is simple; ban bicycles...


No - I can solve even more problems. Ban children.

In less than a century I'll completely eliminate human mortality...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

BennettH
Posts: 9
Joined: 6 Mar 2017, 6:46pm

Re: France proposed bicycle helmet law for kids under 12

Postby BennettH » 20 Mar 2017, 4:45pm

mjr wrote:
BennettH wrote:Either way, a child helmet law is basically state-forced child abuse, isn't it? ;-)


Sure felt that way to me growing up. :D

BennettH
Posts: 9
Joined: 6 Mar 2017, 6:46pm

Re: France proposed bicycle helmet law for kids under 12

Postby BennettH » 20 Mar 2017, 4:49pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:No - I can solve even more problems. Ban children.

In less than a century I'll completely eliminate human mortality...


Very interesting proposal.

It would suck for anyone that has to die in a world where everything has fallen apart due to a lack of providers. And where no one could retire. And there are no doctors to take care of you. And no effective police, government, or military. But I guess that is a problem for the last batch of children.

Most of us should be good.

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 17178
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: France proposed bicycle helmet law for kids under 12

Postby [XAP]Bob » 22 Mar 2017, 9:34am

BennettH wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:No - I can solve even more problems. Ban children.

In less than a century I'll completely eliminate human mortality...


Very interesting proposal.

It would suck for anyone that has to die in a world where everything has fallen apart due to a lack of providers. And where no one could retire. And there are no doctors to take care of you. And no effective police, government, or military. But I guess that is a problem for the last batch of children.

Most of us should be good.


I should point out that it isn't a particularly serious proposal.
But the effect is absolute. Human mortality would be completely eliminated.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.