Productive section or I Reckon Repetition ?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
drossall

Re: Productive section or I Reckon Repetition ?

Post by drossall »

Steady rider wrote:Another useful piece of information also came from Robinson;
http://www.cycle-helmets.com/robinson-head-injuries.pdf it gives details showing helmet wearers are more likely to hit their helmets when they do fall off.

One would imagine that non-wearers are very unlikely to hit their helmets :wink:
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

I have been cycling for more than 50 years, so far no head impacts, maybe I am lucky.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've had two significant ones in about 45 years. One was before helmets were invented, and in the other I wasn't wearing one. However, had I been on either occasion, I'm sure the helmet would have saved my life.
fishfright

Post by fishfright »

So yeah it is a 'I Reckon Repetition' forum after all , ah well as you were
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

fishfright wrote:So yeah it is a 'I Reckon Repetition' forum after all , ah well as you were

The basic science doesn't change. The attacks on it are constant.

What do you expect?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Gave up expecting anything, years ago!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

I think this section is productive, although it is riven by repetition (but that sadly seems to come naturally with many internet discussions).

I haven't changed my attitude to helmet wearing (I don't wear one and have no intention of doing so, even if compulsion should ever be introduced) but feel more informed by what i have read here. Whereas before I felt like a bit of a lone voice against a tide of helmet wearers, now I feel my reasons for taking that stance have more objective backing than the gut feeling that drove me. :D
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Jon Lucas wrote:I think this section is productive, although it is riven by repetition (but that sadly seems to come naturally with many internet discussions).

I haven't changed my attitude to helmet wearing (I don't wear one and have no intention of doing so, even if compulsion should ever be introduced) but feel more informed by what i have read here. Whereas before I felt like a bit of a lone voice against a tide of helmet wearers, now I feel my reasons for taking that stance have more objective backing than the gut feeling that drove me. :D

^ +1 :)
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Jon Lucas wrote:I think this section is productive, although it is riven by repetition (but that sadly seems to come naturally with many internet discussions).

I think that just comes with most discussions in life really. All the internet has done is let such relatively small chat be saved so we end up seeing just how repetitive it is. Particularly were a specific topic has been subsectioned like this.

I suspect if you were to take a specific topic out of another section eg rear derailleur setup/problems, or a 'please recommend/comment on these bikes I'm looking at getting for commuting', it would look pretty repetitive as well!
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

It seems there are 9 pages of helmet topics listed and they cover a wide range of issues. It provides useful information that may not be so readily available from other places. I am not sure that you could view this range of information and opinions elsewhere.