Compulsory Helmets in Local Group.

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
pjclinch

Re: Compulsory Helmets in Local Group.

Post by pjclinch »

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
To quote good old Groucho "I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member" :wink:

Groucho again:

I have cast-iron principles
In case they do not suit, I have others in reserve

In the case of helmets Groucho really has it nailed:-
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made"
I think the helmet salesmen have :wink: .

Smiley noted, but I think most of the work is being done outside of the salesmen. Sales propaganda for cycle helmets doesn't trade on their safety benefits, that all comes from a combination of the media, do-gooder charities, government and, primarily, cyclists themselves.

The only claim you'll see related to safety from a helmet manufacturer is which standard it conforms to. That's it.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pjclinch wrote:
Smiley noted, but I think most of the work is being done outside of the salesmen. Sales propaganda for cycle helmets doesn't trade on their safety benefits, that all comes from a combination of the media, do-gooder charities, government and, primarily, cyclists themselves.

The only claim you'll see related to safety from a helmet manufacturer is which standard it conforms to. That's it.

Pete.

I dithered on the word 'salesmen' and nearly wrote cycle industry but felt it was wrong,IMO promotion = salesmen so I think it's a fair assessment.
No matter though I think we see it all along the same lines.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

pjclinch wrote:Sales propaganda for cycle helmets doesn't trade on their safety benefits

Indeed, often these polystyrene hats have stickers inside them specifically stating their many safety limitations.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

admin wrote:
pjclinch wrote:Sales propaganda for cycle helmets doesn't trade on their safety benefits

Indeed, often these polystyrene hats have stickers inside them specifically stating their many safety limitations.

See the Heads Up article originally published in Cycle for a straightforward description of what you can actually expect according to the design standards.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...