Compulsory Helmets in Local Group.

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

[ mod: Cut from. viewtopic.php?f=45&t=111218&p=1092741#p1092741 ]

meic wrote:I dont think that they would be interested, it is all trumped by an unhelmeted death on the roads and a "helmet saved my life" story from another injured cyclist.

Yes, but meic, what if that death was yours?

I've been smashed up and in intensive care through a head injury when I wasn't wearing a helmet - I had a cycling colleague who was unhelmeted and died horribly (but instantly) from a head injury - I have two cycling friends who had helmets destroyed in prangs to the head - one would have died and the other would have been seriously injured.

I hate wearing a helmet, probably for the same reasons that you do also........but I do know why I wear one. Each to their own, it's all a matter of our own choice. I'd never subscribe to compulsory helmet propaganda. However knowing what I know I'd never ridicule them nor argue against wearing one.
meic

Re: Compulsory Helmets in Local Group.

Post by meic »

You just described four bad crashes, two helmeted and two un-helmeted and through a belief in the efficacy of helmets, said the helmets had (or would have) been significantly effective.
I dont believe in the efficacy of helmets and think it made little difference to the outcomes of each crash.

I do however believe that a motorcycle helmet would have helped in all four cases.
So we really all should be wearing those, if crash protection was our priority.
Yma o Hyd
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

meic wrote:You just described four bad crashes, two helmeted and two un-helmeted and through a belief in the efficacy of helmets, said the helmets had (or would have) been significantly effective.
I dont believe in the efficacy of helmets and think it made little difference to the outcomes of each crash.

I do however believe that a motorcycle helmet would have helped in all four cases.

We learn by experience meic. I never thought it would happen to me - it hadn't, in 45+ years of cycling............but
meic

Post by meic »

So you are now wearing a motorcycle helmet then?
Yma o Hyd
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I am not so afraid of dying instantly, I would not know about it and I have no dependant children or family.

I think "only" being seriously injured would be worse, if I could no longer cycle, read, work, go to the toilet without help.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

To understand the merits of trying to impose helmet use it is helpful to understand the pros and cons of the arguments of helmet research, it is essential to weighing up the situation. Sending half the topic to the other place makes it more remote from the people affected in the local groups. Probably not much benefit to local group members who have concerns.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

The premise "Wearing a helmet saved them" is false.
I have sustained 2 major head injuries while cycling ..without a helmet.. I am obviously alive and well.
" He hit his head and the helmet was destroyed saving his life" ...probably the helmet a made of .... styrene foam, .... and didn't do a lot. At all.
Our heads / skulls have developed over millions of years .... to protect our brain.
And do it very well .....
Cycling is not dangerous ... being alive is ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:The premise "Wearing a helmet saved them" is false.
I have sustained 2 major head injuries while cycling ..without a helmet.. I am obviously alive and well.
" He hit his head and the helmet was destroyed saving his life" ...probably the helmet a made of .... styrene foam, .... and didn't do a lot. At all.
Our heads / skulls have developed over millions of years .... to protect our brain.

Err:-

:wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:The premise "Wearing a helmet saved them" is false.

Err:-

:wink:

Compulsory entry requirement ...... if you want to join the club .... accept the rules .... lol
Good point, well made ..... but ... club and rules .....
Be more Mike.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:Good point, well made ..... but ... club and rules .....

To quote good old Groucho "I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member" :wink:
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:

To quote good old Groucho "I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member" :wink:

:D
Be more Mike.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

JohnW wrote:
meic wrote:You just described four bad crashes, two helmeted and two un-helmeted and through a belief in the efficacy of helmets, said the helmets had (or would have) been significantly effective.

We learn by experience meic. I never thought it would happen to me - it hadn't, in 45+ years of cycling............but

Given your time of life I'd say you are in more need of a walking helmet than a cycling helmet...just in case, as statistics show us you'd be at more risk of dying or suffering from a serious head injury whilst doing so.
And if you don't wear one for walking or getting in a motor vehicle now that you've made it clear that you think a head injury could happen (after all it did whilst cycling), why not?
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

For NSW in the period 1992-2011 there were 231 cyclist deaths, 154 helmeted, 66 not wearing and
11 unknowns. Of known cases, 70% were helmeted. The 1993 Smith survey reported wearing rates of 68%
for children under 16 at road sites (56% for Sydney) and 83% for adults (77% for Sydney). The wearing rate
for cyclists varied and the lowest use appears to be associated with nighttime cyclists and teenagers.

see page 18, Mr Colin Clarke (PDF 68 KB) Attachment 1 (PDF 1848 KB) http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Bus ... ubmissions
Helmets may have little effect on saving lives. More likely to discourage some people from cycling and cost lives.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:

Groucho again:

I have cast-iron principles
In case they do not suit, I have others in reserve
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Groucho again:

I have cast-iron principles
In case they do not suit, I have others in reserve

In the case of helmets Groucho really has it nailed:-
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made"
I think the helmet salesmen have :wink: .
W H Auden