Cycle helmets added to ONS Inflation Measurement List

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
kwackers

Cycle helmets added to ONS Inflation Measurement List

Post by kwackers »

I see cycle helmets have entered the ONS 'inflation' basket.

Guess people must be buying more of them - or perhaps crashing more often...
Bez

Re: Cycle helmets.

Post by Bez »

I expect it's the Hovding.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Link here, for the record.

I notice that the blurb says (my bold):
New item. This has been introduced principally to improve and diversify the coverage in an under-represented area of the baskets. It also reflects the growing popularity of cycling.
Does it? Maybe. I would have thought the purchase of bicycles themselves, or components of them, would be more representative.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Perhaps tyre pressure guages would give a better measure.

:oops:

They could take this further in the prediction of trends. Greater sales of pumps = increased likelihood of inflation. We know that deflation can be as bad for the economy as a whole, rather than only cyclists.
Psamathe

Have Helmets Just Become A Little Bit More Mainstream In The UK ?

Post by Psamathe »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/14/uk-inflation-ons-basket-goods-gin-cycling-helmets wrote:UK inflation basket drops in gin and cycling helmets
Bicycle helmets made it back into the basket after a 12-year absence, as the success of British cyclists in the Olympics and the Tour De France fuelled enthusiasm for the sport at home.

Ian
Wanlock Dod

Re: Have Helmets Just Become A Little Bit More Mainstream In The UK ?

Post by Wanlock Dod »

Presumably it's just to confirm that the perceived level of danger is very high, and removing brake pads from the list to confirm that motorists are less likely to slow down for you too.