Child Safety (Cycle Helmets) Bill

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
gaz

Child Safety (Cycle Helmets) Bill

Post by gaz »

First reading yesterday: https://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/ ... 05a.109.12

I've no knowledge of parliamentary procedures. Can anyone explain the real world significance of a first reading?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
thirdcrank

Re: Child Safety (Cycle Helmets) Bill

Post by thirdcrank »

gaz wrote:First reading yesterday: https://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/ ... 05a.109.12

I've no knowledge of parliamentary procedures. Can anyone explain the real world significance of a first reading?

Apart from its being the first formal stage for any Act of Parliament, I don't think it's particularly significant. What's important is Parliamentary time to get it through the remaining stages. Parliamentary time = government support. Without that support it's vulnerable to tactics like being "talked out."

There's a ballot at the start of each Parliament to select twenty MP's to have first dibs on Private Members' Bill presentation. I couldn't see Peter Bone on the list but I think a winner can pass on their winning ticket to a colleague. Mr Bone does not seem to have a website of his own but I see he has a twitter account if that's the correct term. Unless somebody knows the background here, his own publicity machine is likely to be the best source of info, if not necessarily without bias.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Thanks. A quick search on Twitter reveals an allegation that he once said MPs not wearing a tie is lowering standards in Westminster.

Nothing however about helmets, cyclists, cycles or bikes.

Still I'm sure that the APPCG will alert Cycling UK should matters progress further.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

These are wheeled out every few years, when a lobbying group/charity persuade an MP in the private members' ballot that what we really need is a helmet law. The DfT/Government aren't convinced (and are probably less convinced than they were last time it happened) so unless something out of the ordinary happens it will very probably sink.

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/helmet-compulsion-bill-fails/012175 for previous failures.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think that things are unusual at the moment with a minority government held up by a minor party. The Whips can only control everything when they have good majority, otherwise they vulnerable to back bench revolts. This Govt., has only two goals, the big one being remaining in power and the other being to deliver Brexit (because failure to do so would mean they couldn't achieve the big one.)

I think this means that the govt., will not attempt anything which would test their majority. I think that Mr Bone knows how to play the system to have the best chance of getting his own way without triggering a General Election. He picks his causes to go down well with his constituency grass roots supporters and with other Tory back bench colleagues. Here's something I've dug out from the days of the coalition: bring back capital punishment; abolish Nick Clegg; call the August Bank Holiday "Margaret Thatcher Day;" abolish wind farm subsidies; introduce transferable tax allowances between married couples; privatise the BBC; decriminalise TV licence offences and more besides.

AFAIK, the transferable tax allowances are now in place. The abolition of wind farm subsidies has almost passed all its stages, probably with amendments to draw the sting. I think the TV licence decriminalisation is on the cards. You never can tell.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... burka.html
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Peter Bone has form n this (that Telegraph link is from 4 years ago - and not the first example of his activities by a long chalk).

A more up to date item about this years Bones private members bills is here:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/two-tory-mps-accused-abusing-10873972

Whether cycle helmets rate highly among his own list of 73 bills he is tabling - or whether the whole exerciser is a wrecking tactic to deny time to any other MPs with a slightly more progressive outlook is irrelevant. It has absolutely zero chance of becoming law.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

thirdcrank wrote:AFAIK, the transferable tax allowances are now in place.

Really?
When did that happen?

Oh:
Marriage Allowance lets you transfer £1,150 of your Personal Allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner - if they earn more than you.
This reduces their tax by up to £230 in the tax year (6 April to 5 April the next year).

You can get Marriage Allowance if all the following apply:

you’re married or in a civil partnership
you don’t earn anything or your income is £11,500 or less
your partner’s income is between £11,501 and £45,000 (or £43,000 if you’re in Scotland)

So £230 if the higher earner is on 11.5->45k.
So if one partner earns £10k and the other earns £44k they get a benefit.
But if the earning is all done by one partner (at £46k) they get nothing... great...

Surely it should be a joint income limit (frankly I'd want to do tax on a household income basis, rather than an individual basis.
Adults/children in the household get their tax allowance added together, and the income is added together and taxed appropriately.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Peter Bone voted against ending emergency services cuts.
Peter Bone 7/7 voted against equal gay rights
Peter Bone voted 13/13 against a right to remain for EU nationals already in living in the UK
Peter Bone voted 7/7 for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-e ... ws_central

clearly a totally rational and honest person. :twisted:
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

At least one can hope that this time they will use facts as opposed to lies that made Tony Blairs's WMD claims look realistic and sane
SilverBadge

Post by SilverBadge »

gaz wrote:Thanks. A quick search on Twitter reveals an allegation that he once said MPs not wearing a tie is lowering standards in Westminster.

Nothing however about helmets, cyclists, cycles or bikes.

Still I'm sure that the APPCG will alert Cycling UK should matters progress further.
Some sarcasm in there? Do the APPCG do anything other than get together for an occasional chat? Can't recall them doing anything significant when Grayling doored a cyclist and then told a Parliamentary committee that cyclists not using a cycling farce-ility had less rights than other road users.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

A mum was walking up the road today with two young boys maybe about 6 and 4 years old. Both had these small wheeled scooters. The younger one had a very small scooter, but even so his mum was carrying it uphill. Both the boys had helmets, but the younger one's helmet practically engulfed his head!
It seems as if a child using anything that has wheels, no matter how small, has nowadays to have a helmet!
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

MikeF wrote:A mum was walking up the road today with two young boys maybe about 6 and 4 years old. Both had these small wheeled scooters. The younger one had a very small scooter, but even so his mum was carrying it uphill. Both the boys had helmets, but the younger one's helmet practically engulfed his head!
It seems as if a child using anything that has wheels, no matter how small, has nowadays to have a helmet!

Ironically there is evidence that a poorly fitting helmet can double the risk of head injury ........