BROOKES HELMETS

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Psamathe

Re: BROOKES HELMETS

Post by Psamathe »

One trivial/minor consideration from experience:
Does it have an insect mesh to stop bugs getting in?

To explain I wear a helmet (I go through phases when I don't but at the moment I do) and in summer I've often had bugs get trapped inside and crawl around unable to get out! Not yet been stung. So I eventually took to wearing a buff under my helmet which stops the bugs to a degree (and at least you don't get the sensation of them crawling around on your scalp). But in summer the Buff can make thing quite a bit hotter.

Helmets are expensive and mine (£50'ish) apparently needs replacing every 5 years. Next helmet I get will have an insect screen on the vent holes!

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Congratulations to the reporter, we've been dumped in the ghetto so that the helmet fanatics can perpetuate their myth in the rest of the forum that helmet wearing is normal. Even the suggestion of looking in the helmet ghetto has been moved to the ghetto :roll:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

First rule of the helmet ghetto is you do not talk about the helmet ghetto
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

AdamS wrote:First rule of the helmet ghetto is you do not talk about the helmet ghetto

:lol: :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I'm also badgered by my family to wear a helmet. I find them heavy and uncomfortable. I've got five of them [family presents] cheap and expensive, and none of them are comfortable. I've stopped wearing them and the feeling of freedom is wonderful. I also, for some reason or other develop a headache just over my eye if I'm wearing a helmet.
I came off my bike last winter and my helmet did take a belt on the side of my head. But I'm not sure if the actual size and weight of the helmet contributed. It's the first time, I think, in my many offs that my head/helmet has made contact with the floor.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

bigjim wrote:I'm also badgered by my family to wear a helmet. I find them heavy and uncomfortable. I've got five of them [family presents] cheap and expensive, and none of them are comfortable.

Your family Christmases must be fun! Surrounded by all those expectant eyes as you open your present - oh, a helmet! What a surprise!

I think we have good comedy material here. This Christmas, can you reciprocate with some well chosen presents of your own?: diet pills for the fat relative; deodorant for the sweaty one; basic cook book for the one who made Christmas Dinner...
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

bovlomov wrote:
bigjim wrote:I'm also badgered by my family to wear a helmet. I find them heavy and uncomfortable. I've got five of them [family presents] cheap and expensive, and none of them are comfortable.

Your family Christmases must be fun! Surrounded by all those expectant eyes as you open your present - oh, a helmet! What a surprise!

I think we have good comedy material here. This Christmas, can you reciprocate with some well chosen presents of your own?: diet pills for the fat relative; deodorant for the sweaty one; basic cook book for the one who made Christmas Dinner...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"