BROOKES HELMETS

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
crs1953

BROOKES HELMETS

Post by crs1953 »

Hi All
I have never worn a cycling helmet before but my wife, daughter and grandchildren have begun 'pressuring' me to do so now that I have again returned to fairly regular 2 wheel jaunts ( work commute and occasional weekend day rides )

I know it's going to feel weird but I guess I'll get used to it so have ordered a Brookes 'Island' helmet. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this particular helmet and your opinion as to its pros / cons

I chose it because of its inconspicuous looks more than anything - at 64 I don't really want to be wearing anything too flashy and most of the helmets I see look like they owe something to Ridley Scotts 'Alien' creation :lol:
Roadster

Re: BROOKES HELMETS

Post by Roadster »

All I'll say is that the equally non-flashy Bern Union can be bought for £50 if you shop around...
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Don't wear a helmet, their dangerous !!!!
Or safe, or will make you invincible ....
They stop you breaking your wrist if you fall off.
Really ...
See the helmet section on this very site ...
:lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

crs1953 wrote:Hi All
I have never worn a cycling helmet before but my wife, daughter and grandchildren have begun 'pressuring' me to do so now that I have again returned to fairly regular 2 wheel jaunts

I'd have a good read of the CUK helmet briefing because that's based on much harder evidence than Joe & Jane Public (and I'd guess your family) know about.

They make a fair bit of sense for e.g. technical MTB where if you don't fall off you're not trying hard enough, but as Sustrans' helmet policy points out, it's actually controversial what (if any) safety benefit they have for general cycling.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

pjclinch wrote:They make a fair bit of sense for e.g. technical MTB where if you don't fall off you're not trying hard enough, but as Sustrans' helmet policy points out, it's actually controversial what (if any) safety benefit they have for general cycling.

...and can even increase the danger.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I've bashed my head 3 times in my time - that's about 1 for every 3 crashes. The last time I had a black eye from where my glasses dug in but the rest of my head was fine - with a helmet. The previous time predated helmets and I was unconscious long enough for a crowd to gather. They may have thought the worst till I crawled out from under the truck. The other time I just had a decent bruise and a headache, also without a helmet. I'm not sure how helmets would cause injury - but someone will enlighten me I'm sure.
I should add that I've never broken any bones; and I'm not going to feel invincible because I don't want to break any bones, or come off at all. I think far too much is made of that particular canard.
However, you should only wear a helmet if you want too. I'm perfectly happy to ride with people who don't wear a helmet.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Why is it that when someone asks a perfectly good question about a particular brand of product, if its a helmet they all crawl out of the woodwork?

For goodness sake TAKE ARGUMENTS TO THE PROPER SECTION and leave the OP to ask his question about the particular product.

If he/she was asking about a particular brand of waterproof you wouldn't start arguing about whether people should wear waterproofs, now would you?
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

rmurphy195 wrote:Why is it that when someone asks a perfectly good question about a particular brand of product, if its a helmet they all crawl out of the woodwork?

For goodness sake TAKE ARGUMENTS TO THE PROPER SECTION and leave the OP to ask his question about the particular product.

If he/she was asking about a particular brand of waterproof you wouldn't start arguing about whether people should wear waterproofs, now would you?

There would - if there was a lobby that insisted that waterproofs should be worn by cyclists, yet were not needed by anyone else, because other groups like walkers and workers didn't get wet so didn't need them.

Also you would have to wear them even in hot dry sunny weather- just in case it rained
Last edited by Cunobelin on 5 Oct 2017, 6:12am, edited 1 time in total.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

There are three factors to consider

1. Fit - like shoes, different manufacturers have different shapes, and people have different shaped heads. Some compensation can be made with fitting systems, but if the basic fit is wrong then the helmet will be uncomfortable when you wear it

2. Comfort - As above, fit, but then there is the weight, ventilation and other factors. Combined with the fit if the helmet is not comfortable then it will not be worn

3. Safety - The more vents, the lesss absorbent material, and less effective the helmet in absorbing an impact. There is also evidence that these and sharp angles can cause injury (Snag point)

4. Protection - There are standards that (in theory) show how a helmet could function in an impact. To sell a helmet in the UK, it needs to meet EN1078, which is a ridiculously low standard and not recognised in some sporting events, especially in teh US. The toughest is the Snell tests which (again in theory ) should offer the greater protection

Which brings us to the answer .....This helmet is of the "smoother, rounder, safer" design with regards to teh snag pints. If the helmet fits, is comfortable and passes a test higher than EN1078 then buy
mjr

Post by mjr »

rmurphy195 wrote:Why is it that when someone asks a perfectly good question about a particular brand of product, if its a helmet they all crawl out of the woodwork?

On most cycling forums, asking about waterproofs gets some replies saying you don't need them, that skin is waterproof, that body heat from cycling will dry Lycra quickly, that waterproofs are boil in the bag and so on.

Helmets are like waterproofs that are suspected of drowning users.

It's a difficult decision whether to comment because it also draws out some helmet fans. If someone's planning to go to dignitas because their family's insisting, would you speak out then?

(Edited to remove an incorrect autocorrect)
Last edited by mjr on 5 Oct 2017, 9:12am, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Waterproofs? Check out e.g. https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=117308 and you'll find you're quite wrong about that!

But here it starts off, as I read it, with the OP not particularly keen on a helmet except to assuage the fears of his family. So if there's another way to do that then the OP may well get what they really want, and not take a hit to the wallet as a bonus.

Had the OP just said, "I want a helmet, what about X", I wouldn't have replied as I did, but that's not entirely the case.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

With any helmet you are better off buying from a shop where you can try on multiple models. If you do buy over the internet, you still need to make sure that it fits properly. An ill fitting helmet is worse than useless. Remember that helmets degrade and need to be replaced every few years or after any impact.

I haven't worn the Brooks Island helmet but it looks not to have much ventilation. This might mean that it offers slightly more protection but might make it less comfortable than a more typical 'alien' :lol: helmet with holes in. For people like me who easily overheat it can be a big problem. I don't wear a helmet except when forced by event rules, but I made sure I bought the least uncomfortable one I could find.

rmurphy195 wrote:If he/she was asking about a particular brand of waterproof you wouldn't start arguing about whether people should wear waterproofs, now would you?

If he had said that he had been "pressured" (his word) into getting any product you'd find people who thought the product (and pressuring) unecessary saying so. And, no, it would not be unusual for a thread asking about opinions of (eg.) Rotrax cycling capes to feature the opinions of people who advised against wearing cycling capes.
mjr

Post by mjr »

AdamS wrote:With any helmet you are better off buying from a shop where you can try on multiple models. If you do buy over the internet, you still need to make sure that it fits properly. An ill fitting helmet is worse than useless. Remember that helmets degrade and need to be replaced every few years or after any impact.

How do you know whether a helmet that's been shipped with Unexpected Package Squishers, blown up by TNT or so on has suffered an impact? It's not always as obvious as
(source)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

It really is intolerable when close family members engage in emotional blackmail to persuade a cyclist to wear a helmet against his better judgement :roll: - there ought to be a law against it!
The OP must dismiss the trivial concerns of his wife, daughter and grandchildren as totally unfounded, and instead adopt the views of better-informed strangers who regard the wearing of helmets as not only unnecessary but also undesirable. Accordingly, he should immediately reverse his decision to buy a helmet and reprimand, nay punish his family for their unwarranted interference in his cycling affairs.
Last edited by Roadster on 5 Oct 2017, 1:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Here it is.

viewforum.php?f=41