Police advice to wear cycle helmets

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Wanlock Dod

Re: Police advice to wear cycle helmets

Post by Wanlock Dod »

When a local lady suffered a serious head injury whilst walking to the shop it was put forward as a reason for me to wear a cycling helmet, but nobody considered that it had any effect on the potential risks associated with walking to the shop. Nobody considered it ironic at all.

Cycling is dangerous and needs a special hat, walking to the shop is not dangerous and doesn't require any safety equipment at all.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

http://www.victoriawalks.org.au/Assets/ ... Report.pdf
Globally, falls are a major public health problem. Each year an estimated 37.3 million falls are severe enough to require medical attention and 424,000 fatal falls occur.

From 'FALL-RELATED INJURIES WHILE WALKING IN VICTORIA'
Zigster

Post by Zigster »

softlips wrote:... just about everyone I know who skis wears one.

I find ski helmets quite interesting in the same way as cycle helmets. I've been skiing for about 35 years now and never worn a helmet. Due to young children, I've only been three times in the last ten years and have been amazed by how quickly helmets have changed from being something which only young kids in ski schools wear to being much more prevalent than cycling helmets. An old photo from a late 1990s ski-trip popped up on facebook last week and not a one of us was wearing a helmet.

But I thought ski helmets were subject to the same challenges as cycle helmets - a review of the data doesn't seem to demonstrate they are as essential as many people assume.
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/spor ... uries.html