School trying to make helmets compulsory

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
reohn2

Re: School trying to make helmets compulsory

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Once again it is the hypocrisy and dishonesty of the individuals who are imposing their wishes on an easy target group.

The biggest problem with any school is parking in surrounding areas, illegal and dangerous driving, obstruction and a plethora of other issues

These same head teachers could ban children from being brought to school by car, and staff parking in local areas....... yet whilst they are happy to impose restrictions on the children, they happily accept the dangers caused by motor vehicles and claim they are outsidentheir responsibility

Whilst I agree totally with you,can a school really stop children being brought and picked up by car?
Parking within the immediate environs if it's a danger to pupils yes,otherwise I doubt it.

https://www.st-john.hackney.sch.uk/safer-streets-day/

As part of the Safer Streets Scheme, Crondall Street is temporarily closed to traffic during school opening and closing times (during the times of 8:30 – 9:15 am and 3:15 – 4:00 pm). The aim is to encourage walking, cycling and using public transport to get to school, create a safer environment and improve air quality around the school.

Good call,there should more of such schemes :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Seize my child's bicycle, and I'd seize the head teachers (sorry, the Principal's) car until it was returned.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

reohn2 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Once again it is the hypocrisy and dishonesty of the individuals who are imposing their wishes on an easy target group.

The biggest problem with any school is parking in surrounding areas, illegal and dangerous driving, obstruction and a plethora of other issues

These same head teachers could ban children from being brought to school by car, and staff parking in local areas....... yet whilst they are happy to impose restrictions on the children, they happily accept the dangers caused by motor vehicles and claim they are outsidentheir responsibility

Whilst I agree totally with you,can a school really stop children being brought and picked up by car?
Parking within the immediate environs if it's a danger to pupils yes,otherwise I doubt it.
As for requiring helmet wearing of children cycling on school premises prhaps,but once off school premises I can't see how a head teacher can have any jurisdiction over pupils mode of transport or headwear

That was my point....

The same “powers” are available in both cases

The same censure “could “ be applied

The ability is also there through employment contracts to deal with the anti-social behaviour by the School’s employees

My employer does this... it is in the contract that you will not park within 1 mile of the Company premises

... and it is enforced
It is simply accepted though
Toffee

Post by Toffee »

Cunobelin wrote:My employer does this... it is in the contract that you will not park within 1 mile of the Company premises

Why?
COYB

Post by COYB »

They tried a similar thing at my granddaughters school a couple of years ago. Any pupil riding to school had to produce a helmet and hi-viz vest. If they didn't have both items they were refused use of the bike sheds. Result--- empty bike sheds. On the other hand, the school did absolutely nothing about the dangerous & illegal parking outside the school by parents.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Toffee wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:My employer does this... it is in the contract that you will not park within 1 mile of the Company premises

Why?

Never heard of that, why?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Toffee wrote:

Why?

Never heard of that, why?

We are in a large hospital in the centra of a massive housing estate Paulsgrove).

The Trust has a Parking Policy where only those with particular needs park on-site, and others park in the PArk and Ride Fort Southwick) and ferry in by Bus.

Both are chargeable (although ring-fenced for transport)

Many staff want to park and don't want to pay, so parked in an already busy residential area. This means that many locals cannot park because of Hospital employees. It is also compounded by patients who do not want to pay for parking. The immediately adjacent streets were full of hospital-related vehicles 24/7

Hence the decision

It also gives the locals some redress as they can report offenders to the Trust for action
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Cunobelin wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

As for requiring helmet wearing of children cycling on school premises prhaps,but once off school premises I can't see how a head teacher can have any jurisdiction over pupils mode of transport or headwear

That was my point....

The same “powers” are available in both cases

The same censure “could “ be applied

The ability is also there through employment contracts to deal with the anti-social behaviour by the School’s employees

My employer does this... it is in the contract that you will not park within 1 mile of the Company premises

... and it is enforced
It is simply accepted though

How can it be enforced, you are are private person until you get to work.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Damages following breach of contract. Quite possibly by deducting from pay and arguing afterwards.

Jonathan
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Jdsk wrote:Damages following breach of contract. Quite possibly by deducting from pay and arguing afterwards.

Jonathan

Damages?

It's a dress code. And an inappropriate one, at that. An employer could do that, but there is no legal grounds for it. The Royal Mail could not require helmets, and that's for people cycling as part of their jobs. There's no way that a requirement to wear one going to & from work will hold up.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I was referring to the immediately preceding posts... about car parking.

Jonathan
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Jdsk wrote:I was referring to the immediately preceding posts... about car parking.

Jonathan

:lol: :lol: Sorry.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

No problem. I can read it either way when I look again!

: - )

Jonathan