School trying to make helmets compulsory

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
boris

Re: School trying to make helmets compulsory

Post by boris »

the main area of concern is the playground..... perhaps helmets and HiViz would prevent these injuries?

very good .

http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/10/3/144

http://adc.bmj.com/content/early/2016/0 ... 015-308424

Cause of head injuries

Half of the incidents, 2882 (50.6%), happened in the home, 874 (15.3%) in school/nursery, and 780 (13.7%) on road/street/motorway; 645 (11.3%) took place at other locations—for example, park, swimming pool, supermarket (missing data, 519 (9.1%)).

The majority, 3537 (62.1%), of head injuries were the result of falls in preschool children (table 1). Among causes of head injuries in infants, 887/1093 (81.1%) were falls and this included babies who had been dropped or fallen from furniture, Moses baskets, car seats, etc.

View inline View popup

Table 1

Cause of head injury in children: gender, age, number and proportion of (a) children referred to social services and (b) abnormal head CT scans by cause

Sports and recreation activities caused 783 (13.7%) of the injuries in the older children; there was a strong male preponderance. The most common sports associated with injury were: rugby, 143 (39.6%); football, 115 (31.9%); horse-riding, 62 (17.2%); trampolining, 28 (7.8%); hockey, 11 (3%). The recreational activities included sledging (38/154 (24.7%)), using a scooter (27 (17.5%)), and skateboarding (24 (15.6%)).
*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
The 403 (7.0%) MVAs principally affected primary-school-aged children; 279 (69.2%) were pedestrians (median age 6.5 years), 35 (8.7%) were cyclists (median age 12.2 years), and 89 (22.1%) were in cars (median age 11.3 years).
******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
The injury was the result of impact in 701 (12.3%) cases (median age 3.7 years): colliding with each other; running into walls, doors, radiators, etc; household item falling on the child. In 119 (2.1%) cases, the child was the victim of assault.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

The Canadians were quick to steer kids on bikes to wearing helmets with next to zero evidence yet despite the significantly greater number of child head injuries they write this with no mention of suggesting helmets as a prevention to injury, clearly it's obvious common sense for kids in the playground to wear helmets to prevent the injuries that are significant to the injured child, what the hell are they waiting for ... :roll:
" Efforts to determine the best means to prevent injuries will benefit more from epidemiologic studies that focus on injuries that have greater significance for the injured child"

It's all so much BS and slanted view, they want to take a look at prevention in one instance but not in another, they ignore the massive numbers of sporting head injuries within and outside of school but not those of kids on bikes, the hypocrisy is astounding!
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Rather ironically given my stance in this, my only childhood head injury requiring hospital attention was stacking it off my bike at speed into a kerb :roll: . Got away with 4 stitches, a scar and not much sympathy :lol:
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

I am not ready for another kicking so I am chickening out for now. Reminds me of school playground :mrgreen:
Seems a very emotional subject.
We give opinions only.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

RAF Lynham .. Returning from a RAFCC hilclimb. Mick Gaze was on my right and decided to turn left punting me onto the road using my head as a brake .. 3 days in hospital with concussion .... Only head injury in 40 years of cycling ...... Bloody cyclists ... :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Ruadh495 wrote:Saw a pupil on his way to school yesterday; riding on the pavement on the wrong side of the road, dark clothing (school uniform), no lights, but he did have a helmet... hung from the side of the saddle.

So I guess one of my local schools has a similar policy.

Or his mum does.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Stevek76 wrote:Rather ironically given my stance in this, my only childhood head injury requiring hospital attention was stacking it off my bike at speed into a kerb :roll: . Got away with 4 stitches, a scar and not much sympathy :lol:.....

I think you have summed-up the way our society has changed. When I was a kid when I did something daft and injured myself likewise the result was "not much sympathy" whereas these days you become a "victim" (hopefully a "survivor"), pressure groups get press coverage, MPs get involved, Civil Service kicks off reviews and inquiries.

Not suggesting the "not much sympathy" is ideal (though it worked fine for my childhood) but there must be a sensible balance and the current way has got ludicrous (probably as much because of ar5e covering maybe due to all that pressure group, inquiry, etc.).

Ian
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Psamathe wrote:Not suggesting the "not much sympathy" is ideal (though it worked fine for my childhood) but there must be a sensible balance and the current way has got ludicrous (probably as much because of ar5e covering maybe due to all that pressure group, inquiry, etc.).

Ian

My 'not much sympathy' was a little exaggerated. I got a reasonable amount, though I also got a fair bit of 'you moron'. Was likely the hassle of the trip and wait at A&E (which was pretty bad then), that was unappreciated.

whereas these days you become a "victim" (hopefully a "survivor"), pressure groups get press coverage, MPs get involved, Civil Service kicks off reviews and inquiries.

I'm not sure that's universal? There may be an element there that the attention seeking parents and groups have a much more visible and constant 24/7 media in which to get that coverage. In the past they might, at most, have got something wedged in the local paper.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:I am not ready for another kicking so I am chickening out for now. Reminds me of school playground :mrgreen:
We give opinions only.

If your safety is impinged by others action/inaction, have freedoms removed, if you're victim blamed and so on are you really surprised that people are very "emotional" about a subject matter? Are you surprised that they would want to out and express their feelings and opinions as well as pointing to facts and want to do everything they can to avoid the afore mentioned but are fearful that a certain minority will get their way and destroy civil liberties and make the roads more dangerous for everyone.
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

Shoddy journalism from the BBC does not help, full of clichés:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-hampshire-42345928/girl-says-cycle-helmets-should-be-compulsory

"'A helmet saved my life'

A year after her life was saved by a cycle helmet, a 12-year-old girl from Hampshire is calling for them to be made compulsory. Maisie was run over by a car on her way to school in November 2016.

Her pelvis was shattered in five places, and doctors say that her cycle helmet saved her life. She is now working with road safety officials to promote safe cycling in schools.

Video journalist: Samantha Everett"
Attachments
2008-03-12 (700 x 238).jpg
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
The utility cyclist wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:I am not ready for another kicking so I am chickening out for now. Reminds me of school playground :mrgreen:
We give opinions only.

If your safety is impinged by others action/inaction, have freedoms removed, if you're victim blamed and so on are you really surprised that people are very "emotional" about a subject matter? Are you surprised that they would want to out and express their feelings and opinions as well as pointing to facts and want to do everything they can to avoid the afore mentioned but are fearful that a certain minority will get their way and destroy civil liberties and make the roads more dangerous for everyone.

TBH I was actually talking about the removed posts :!:
I am happy to hold my end of the discussion no problem.

Anyway this is not productive so I won't go on.
But I reserve the right to return later :mrgreen:
I am thinking how the whole controversy could be sorted but its a bit like brexit and other more touchy subjects, complex.

I have always said that I wear a helmet for other than safety reasons, if it helps safety wise then theres a bonus for me.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Oh! Don't stop, I do like a good argument/'discussion', and, it's only got to eighteen pages, much too short for a helmet discussion :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
mjr

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:I have always said that I wear a helmet for other than safety reasons, if it helps safety wise then theres a bonus for me.

Your other reasons can be fulfilled otherwise and what it if harms safety wise?

Then there's the damage it does to public health by reducing cycling, but I've long given up much hope of helmet users accepting that.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Erudin wrote:Shoddy journalism from the BBC does not help, full of clichés:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-hampshire-42345928/girl-says-cycle-helmets-should-be-compulsory

"'A helmet saved my life'

A year after her life was saved by a cycle helmet, a 12-year-old girl from Hampshire is calling for them to be made compulsory. Maisie was run over by a car on her way to school in November 2016.

Her pelvis was shattered in five places, and doctors say that her cycle helmet saved her life. She is now working with road safety officials to promote safe cycling in schools.

Video journalist: Samantha Everett"
Quite a few questions there.

So this unfortunate girl's pelvis was 'shattered in five places'. I suppose a h*lm*t would have protected her from that? Perhaps a suit of armour, rather?

From the video, it appears that she was riding (illegally) along the pavement when she 'flew over the handlebars'. How come? Maybe the bike was defective.

And then she landed in the road and was run over by the car. Unlucky! It has to be said, lid or no lid, if the car's wheel had gone over her head, that would have been it. Curtains. No helmet can protect your skull against being crushed.

Looks like an ill-informed 'headway' promotion video, if you ask me.....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

'Ill informed' - 'Headway', how can you be so unkind, surely it could never be the case!!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity