Promoting helmet wearing when cycling to work

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
gaz

Re: Promoting helmet wearing when cycling to work

Post by gaz »

Stevek76 wrote:Enforced working from home obviously. :roll:

Only whilst wearing a polystyrene hat :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

gaz wrote:

Of course there are other HR issues at home.

I have had a member of staff who had an unwanted pregnancy

If only HR had been there to give advice on protection...................
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Goodness no!
Don't the vast majority of accidents happen in the home?!

Plastic hats all round!

This thread is a great example of why I love this place, please do continue!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cunobelin wrote:
gaz wrote:

Of course there are other HR issues at home.

I have had a member of staff who had an unwanted pregnancy

If only HR had been there to give advice on protection...................

You rang?
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Here's a thought; if they'd like to put up posters to help improve safety for the cyclists of the workforce, then might I suggest ones with messages aimed at the cause of the majority of accidents, namely inattentive drivers? Safe passing space, putting the phone down etc etc etc...

Barks

Post by Barks »

Just picked up on this thread again as we have now had direction in my workplace that we have to wear helmets if cycling to/from work be that on the actual sites or on the public roads between them. I have already gone back to the HR and H&S staff who have combined on this to point out that helmet use is not the clear cut case they may have ‘defaulted’ to and can lead to some unintended consequences such use reducing the numbers of those cycling as well as the points about very minimal protection, prevalence of other injuries exacerbated by wearing a helmet, motorists giving less space to helmet wearers and possible higher risk thresholds for cyclists, etc.

I have also pointed out the aspects that they are not trying to the same to drivers, pedestrians who have vastly higher number s of hard injuries overall. In addition, I mentioned that reminding drivers to be aware of other road users, give sufficient (1.5 m plus) space, particularly on the sections that are too narrow to pass safely with approaching traffic in the opposite lanes, appropriate speeds, etc would almost certainly result in greater overall safety gains than concerning themselves with plastic hats.

What I am really interested in is whether others have done similar and has it resulted in any back tracking on the initial dictats or not? (I also noticed there is a similar school thread running and whether challenge has resulted in any results)
hufty

Post by hufty »

They seem to have gone very quickly from desiring promotion to desiring compulsion. How much do you like your job, how sackable are you, how much do you want to rock the boat?
[EDIT: Sorry just noticed it's a different poster at a different workplace -ignore me]
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

What the hell business is it of theirs what you wear whilst not at work?! Unless they're offering to extend your paid hours to include the commute they know where they can shove their 'good intentions'! [emoji35]

Not quite the same, but one place I work at started insisting that we use a carpark half a mile away and wear hi-viz whilst walking along the footway to the offices/warehouse. First I accidentally laughed in the manager's face (genuine reaction, wasn't trying to be smart or anything, honest), but then just started charging them for the extra time which made it feel much less of an imposition...

So will they also be checking the NCAP ratings of all employees cars? Ensuring that they are rated highly enough and properly maintained? What absolute bollox.

Sorry; they really annoy me with their interfering (even though I'm generally a helmet wearer).

Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Utter tosh. They have no duty of care to their employees outside of then work environment. Do they try to promote Volvo's to their motoring staff, or Durex to their more promiscuous employees?
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I am away from home and on the mobile, so access is limited

Look up the Post Office and their attempts at compulsion

There is a letter from HSE that clearly states the Pist Office could not enforce helmets as PPE

This may be an option in that the H&S staff are acting in direct contradiction of the HSE