Helmets for cricketers, footballers, motorists, not cyclists

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Cyril Haearn

Helmets for cricketers, footballers, motorists, not cyclists

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One hears repeatedly of footballers suffering dementia caused apparently by practising heading balls

To be good, they must practise thousands of times, seems a lot of exposure

Maybe they could wear unwanted cycling helmets, but what properties should a football helmet have? Cricketers wear helmets, pads etc, why not footballers?

Meantime I plan to play in goal, often the goalie goes 90 minutes without touching the ball once. Not much time to relax mind, one has to be alert all the time
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 8 Dec 2020, 4:57pm, edited 4 times in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Wanlock Dod

Re: Helmets for footballers instead of cyclists

Post by Wanlock Dod »

Surely professional exposures to hazards of that nature should be properly assessed and regulated by the HSE. I would imagine that they would be keen to remove the potential for exposure rather than hope that a special hat might prevent injury. Surely we should all be more concerned about the many thousands of amateur alcoholists that are recklessly endangering both themselves and others without the slightest consideration of donning an approved pub helmet.
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Meantime I plan to play in goal, often the goalie goes 90 minutes without touching the ball once.

Are you that bad that you don't save at least one shot? :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Jon Lucas wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
Meantime I plan to play in goal, often the goalie goes 90 minutes without touching the ball once.

No, my defenders are so good, the *enemy* never even gets a shot at goal
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 21 Nov 2017, 11:01am, edited 1 time in total.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Why "Instead"?
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

rmurphy195 wrote:Why "Instead"?

Instead because the risk of serious head injury is considerably higher for the group that should be wearing helmets instead of cyclists. Of course if activities that are much more likely to result in a serious head injury than cycling don't need a helmet there's always a chance that people are going to start thinking that cycling doesn't need one either.
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

Cyril Haearn wrote:One hears repeatedly of footballers suffering dementia caused apparently by practising heading balls..
Maybe they could wear unwanted cycling helmets, but what properties should a football helmet have?

Presumably something like a climbing helmet, since they're designed primarily to protect from objects falling from above?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

ChrisButch wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:One hears repeatedly of footballers suffering dementia caused apparently by practising heading balls..
Maybe they could wear unwanted cycling helmets, but what properties should a football helmet have?

Presumably something like a climbing helmet, since they're designed primarily to protect from objects falling from above?

Just read about a famous *base jumper* who took his last jump, not sure if he wore a climbing (or jumping) helmet
Footballers helmets could be optimised to give the ball more momentum, lots of marginal gains possible, and sponsorship €€!
Doubtless many footballers do lots of headers without suffering, just like my grandad who lived to 107 and smoked 20 woodbine a day %-#)
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Of course, players of American Football would never suffer brain damage, due to the extensive use of helmets to protect them...

Oh wait ... :lol:
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

IIRC, a big part of the problem for footballers is not so much the contact with the ball as the sudden twisting of the head to get it into the right position to hit the ball. The brain is reasonably well-protected from a direct blow, but a sharp twist has it banging against the inside of the skull in at least two places. If every header could be done by jumping straight up without turning the head, there'd be much less of a problem.

Presumably, any time the ball glances off the head in a way that makes it twist will also risk damage. Adding an inch or two of helmet would increase the leverage and hence the damage in these cases, unless the outer shell of the helmet could spin around the inner.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Isn't there evidence that boxing helmets don't do as well for their users as first thought? Even so far as saying they're increasing risk not decreasing it overall.

Mips for footballers?

Reminds me of kids about 7 wearing full face helmets whilst riding their bike on off road, surfaced cycle tracks (surfaced as in with tarmac). Why?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

You are forgetting one important thing

Head injuries suffered by non-cyclists hurt less, are less traumatic, the effects on families are far less, wiping an incontinent no-cyclists bottom is more pleasant and when you are fed soup through a straw it tastes so much better
Cyril Haearn

Re: Helmets for cricketers instead of cyclists

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What about cricket helmets?

Batsperson and Wicketperson wear them, but not bowlers or fielders, why not?
Stevek76

Re: Helmets for cricketers instead of cyclists

Post by Stevek76 »

Reaction times I think. Helmet use was only recently made mandatory and it applies to the batsman, wicketkeeper (when standing up to the stumps) and some close fielders (the 'silly' ones that are in-front of the batsman). In those positions there is a chance that a funky ricochet from the bat can hit you before humanly possible reaction times have elapsed.

Slips and the bowler are the notable exceptions. For the slips it's near impossible for an unpredictable and unreactable ball to go in their direction and for the bowler it's likely because bowling with a helmet on would be impractical.

The mandatory seems excessive but most players in such places were already using helmets. Less out of a brain injury concern (though that has happened) and more out of the fact that a cricket ball to the face at speed really hurts!

I think there was some suggestion that high speed bowlers might be more willing to bowl a high ball to a batsman with a helmet on though.

If you get hit outside those places then you probably need to pay more attention and you'll probably catch some stick from team mates due to poor fielding/missed catches. :)
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Jon Lucas wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:

No, my defenders are so good, the *enemy* never even gets a shot at goal

I used to find the net very helpful in ensuring I got an all-too-frequent touch.