Australia plumb to new depths on attacking cycling, potential £2000 fines for no helmet!

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
The utility cyclist

Australia plumb to new depths on attacking cycling, potential £2000 fines for no helmet!

Post by The utility cyclist »

So it seems that ACT, the state that bangs on about how pro cycling they are have just hit new depths on attacking people on bikes with a massive change in the fines they can hand out for people including some of the pettiest ridiculous stuff no ordinary person would bat an eyelid over :twisted:

It doesn't mention it in the gov pdf but penalty units are currently $110/unit so 20 penalty units for no helmet is $2200.
Cycling at more than 6mph over a crossing, maximum fine of $2200, no bell, yup could be fined 20 penalty units or $2200 :twisted:
https://www.shglawyers.com.au/news/lega ... april-2018
http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/sl/20 ... 017-43.pdf
gaz

Re: Australia plumb to new depths on attacking cycling, potential £2000 fines for no helmet!

Post by gaz »

High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
The utility cyclist

Re: Australia plumb to new depths on attacking cycling, potential £2000 fines for no helmet!

gaz wrote:https://twitter.com/multimodalism/status/975534464460775424

So what, given that the fine was handed out at the protest ride in NSW I don't see the relevance and says nothing in itself about potential fines.
He pleaded guilty, the judge decided on this occasion to dismiss it, that will not happen in 99% of cases and hasn't done so in any state, you only need look at how Sue abbot has being harassed, intimidated and targetted t have any inkling as to what you've posted is the extremely rare example.
Next time he does it he won't get let off.
Not wearing a helmet is a strict liability offence.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm very glad that I did all my cycling in Oz back in 1988 ............................ before anyone had invented cycling helmets for the masses.

If there's one cycling invention that is pointless, it's the cycling helmet. Millions and millions and millions of cyclists rode their bikes for decade after decade after decade - even in Oz - and now they "need" to wear one and are even forced to wear one. Why?

I've seen the light, and mine is consigned to the shed.
Mick F. Cornwall
gaz

Post by gaz »

The utility cyclist wrote:So what,

Seems an odd repsonse. Given your thread title is about Australia, not just ACT, I felt that a recent court judgement in NSW was relevant to the thread.

I've no reason to doubt that what I've posted is an extremely rare example. I still believe it was worth posting. YMMV.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
The utility cyclist

It's not an odd response at all.
Someone puts a link in a thread and makes no point about the relevance ... because there is none.
A guilty plea/dismissal in a low level court is meaningless in the context of fines set at a massively higher maximum for infringement.

The odd occasional dismissal wont stop people being stopped for criminality like not having a bell, nor wil it prevent ridiculously over the top (unlawful) penalties from being doled out.
It certainly won't stop targeting of people on bikes more so than those that kill and maim on the roads and the very obvious agenda driven harsh acts of parliament which is yet further proof Australia hates cycling

If you see the relevance do explain because the person that replied with the link didn't
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe all the Europeans should quit Australia and give it back to its rightful owners

Could the max fine be like theoretical sentences for motor crime that are never imposed

What do cyclists, public opinion, media down there think?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I read once that the cops, when they caught people cycling bare headed, would deflate the tyres of the machine used to commit the crime
Would they confiscate the pump too?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies