ISO 4210 helmet - is there such a thing?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
RickH

ISO 4210 helmet - is there such a thing?

Post by RickH »

Following a link to an event I wanted to check the requirements for helmets (link) & found
All riders must wear a cycle helmet that complies with the ISO 4210

Unless my google-fu is failing, I can't find any reference to helmets & ISO 4210 in any link so far. It isn't a standard I've ever come across for helmets. Is there an actual ISO 4210 standard for helmets? Or is this a modern rehash on the 25 year out of date standards required by other event organisers?
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mjr

Re: ISO 4210 helmet - is there such a thing?

Post by mjr »

I can't find one. Some Scott helmet manuals seem to claim that the manual conforms to that ISO standard but it's the manual, not the helmet.

It doesn't seem to be an old helmet standard, so it's not like the ANSI one that was withdrawn about 25 years ago.

Why not ask the organiser to drop the helmet requirement, as clearly no one has met it recently?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I think ISO 4210 is a standard for the construction of the cycles themselves. Not sure there is an ISO standard for cycle helmets.
hufty

Post by hufty »

Looking at it the other way, surely whatever you have on your head complies with the requirements of ISO4210 so no need to ask the organiser.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
RickH

Post by RickH »

hufty wrote:Looking at it the other way, surely whatever you have on your head complies with the requirements of ISO4210 so no need to ask the organiser.

I did wonder whether to ask if a set of ISO 4210 compliant forks tied on my head would be an acceptable substitute in the absence of a compliant helmet! :twisted:

In contrast, today we've done the "Two Mills (Wirral) Early Season Challenge Ride" (part of the Cycling UK Challenge ride series) 50 miles, mostly in glorious sunshine, on the tandem. Our headgear was a traditional cycling cap each (our usual attire) & no-one seemed bothered in the slightest (a lump of polystyrene of whatever designation or standard was not required) . :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Agree with all the above, ISO 4210 has nothing to do with helmets.

To add to the organisers' confusion I note the Family/Leisure ride on the same day requires a helmet to EN1078.

I conclude that the organisers know neither why they are asking for helmets nor what the helmet standards are.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

gaz wrote:I conclude that the organisers know neither why they are asking for helmets nor what the helmet standards are.

But they are beset by a nagging fear that they will be blamed - for what and by whom, they know not - and therefore some sort of stipulation should be issued. Like garlic for deterring vampires.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

bovlomov wrote: Like garlic for deterring vampires.
It works with me.
I can't stand the smell of garlic. Horrible stuff and I keep away from it.

Maybe I'm a vampire! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Mick F wrote:
It works with me.

Shame! If you rub in on your head before getting on the bike, it will protect you from all harm. And is a hair restorer. But neither works with vampires.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Garlic is a hair restorer?
That's another reason for avoiding the stuff. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have alopecia universalis, and love it! ............... but I suspect you knew this. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Mick F wrote:I have alopecia universalis, and love it! ............... but I suspect you knew this. :lol:

I probably know more about you than Facebook does.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That is another completely different subject. :D
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=120768
Mick F. Cornwall
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

There are all sorts of issues with helmet standards, not least of knowing which ones they pass.

Many will not test to the Snell standard as they test of the shelf helmets and there is a charge.

Manafacturers prefer to send a chosen sample to passs the tests rather than the ones you will get

They also tend to use the minimum standard to pass for sale, EN1078 Europe for instance

In some cases where there is multinational packaging, you will see the others listed, or you can look at theist websites or independent reviews
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

bovlomov wrote:
Mick F wrote:
It works with me.

Shame! If you rub in on your head before getting on the bike, it will protect you from all harm. And is a hair restorer. But neither works with vampires.

I once ran over a rabbit, and rather than waste it, put it into my pannier.

Only got a few yards when I was stopped by a Police car questioning my activities.

They took the rabbit, placed it on the bonnet of the car, and checked it over

One Copper goes into teh back, brings out a small sachet, opens it and pours it over the rabbit...... which bounds up and across the fields

Amazed, I asked what was in the bottle.....

The Copper replies......

"Hare restorer"