Old Skool

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
foxyrider

Re: Old Skool

Post by foxyrider »

bigjim wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
mercalia wrote:
do they have straps so it dont blow off? thats the other aspect

I have never had my cotton cap blow off. Might be a question of the relative sizes of head and cap?

I've had to chase mine down the road a few times after a fast descent. If you have them that tight that they won't move then I find them really uncomfortable. It's the lift off the peak that causes it.

Which is why you wear them back to front at such times! I always found the three panel ones fitted and stayed put best, the 'rounder' designs always fit less well on my head.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

foxyrider wrote:
bigjim wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
I have never had my cotton cap blow off. Might be a question of the relative sizes of head and cap?

I've had to chase mine down the road a few times after a fast descent. If you have them that tight that they won't move then I find them really uncomfortable. It's the lift off the peak that causes it.

Which is why you wear them back to front at such times! I always found the three panel ones fitted and stayed put best, the 'rounder' designs always fit less well on my head.

then u dont have a sun peak
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mercalia wrote:
foxyrider wrote:
bigjim wrote:I've had to chase mine down the road a few times after a fast descent. If you have them that tight that they won't move then I find them really uncomfortable. It's the lift off the peak that causes it.

You turn it back after the descent - and anyway to look cool you should have sunnies on! :lol:
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

foxyrider wrote:Is it my imagination or are more riders going lid less this year?

This is also my perception, and whilst the lidless are still hopelessly outnumbered I put their seemingly increasing numbers down to it getting progressively harder and harder to avoid the truth.
I agree that there is typically a distinct difference between sports riders and utility riders, with it being more a part of the uniform of the former and an unnecessary inconvenience for the latter group, although utility riders have been virtually eradicated in these parts.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

foxyrider wrote:
mercalia wrote:
foxyrider wrote:

You turn it back after the descent - and anyway to look cool you should have sunnies on! :lol:

Glasses should be the first port of call, far better than a peak and effective at so many other things including keeping bugs out of your eyes.

As for cycle hats, nope, not seen any decrease in the usual roadie types but many others including kids hardly wear them, however Sussex police are promoting them after making another load of pony up about how it saved a life :roll:
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Bugs me in the local park when there are kids on Balance bikes {which means they are nearer to the ground than when stood up} with this huge piece of polystyrene clamped to their head. Often just riding over grass. Ridiculous!
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

bigjim wrote:Bugs me in the local park when there are kids on Balance bikes {which means they are nearer to the ground than when stood up} with this huge piece of polystyrene clamped to their head. Often just riding over grass. Ridiculous!

Yes I've noticed this too, little children on scooters etc wearing helmets. Extending this logic, shouldn't they be wearing helmets when using the equipment in the childrens play park, e.g. climbing frames, swings, roundabouts etc?
ossie

Post by ossie »

Well this year to date I've seen an increase in cyclists (could be the good weather effect after hard winter) but no real differential in lid wearing.

E bikes are different mind, not just here but in France and Germany there is more of a tendency not to wear a helmet.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

eileithyia wrote:
xjs wrote:Yeah, I've noticed it amongst commuters in London. Most people on the hire bikes are not helmeted, and there do seem to be more of the "usual" commuters sans casque. At a traffic light yesterday evening, four or five out of twenty or so riders had no helmet on.

Yea commonsense prevailing.

My own belief is that the majority of people are led by fashions and similar mass-thinks hooted about by the mass media. Of late there have been a number of articles in the cycling press, as well as the more widely-read media, questioning the assumed (and it is assumed, not proven) increase in safety obtained via helmet wearing. Here are two examples:

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/1365/ ... newsletter

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... z4zZZfpwZs

(Yes! Even in The Hate Mail!!).

In my club there are those who have been cyclists for decades and are therefore well-able to judge from their everyday experiences how useful a helmet is to safety, since they went about safely on their bikes for 30 years before there were helmets available. But they ignore this experience and follow the fashion. Everyone except me and one other wear a helmet. (They also have every gizmo going although only one or two actually seem to use the reams of data generated for anything). They follow a fashion, even if they feel a need to rationalise it with made-up-stuff about how someone they know had his life saved by a helmet.

But perhaps I am becoming over-cynical. :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Very annoying though when you can't ride with your local club because they have a "no helmet, no ride" rule.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

bigjim wrote:Very annoying though when you can't ride with your local club because they have a "no helmet, no ride" rule.

Who makes this rule in your club? What is the process for changing a rule? What will happen should you ignore the rule?

Perhaps a poke at the rule (or even two pokes) might be good?

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

bigjim wrote:Very annoying though when you can't ride with your local club because they have a "no helmet, no ride" rule.

Your club unfortunately aren't alone in this. I've heard claims of insurance and BC rules but both are a smoke screen for someone forcing a view on others. Change your club and don't be shy in letting them know the reason. Or start a renegade run and poach all their riders.

I wear a helmet when I have to and when I feel it's appropriate which isn't a solo ride around the lanes.

We should start a petition to force all car occupants to wear helmets as they are more likely to suffer potentially survivable head injury than cyclists.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Another factor in the decision of veteran riders now wearing helmets is pressure from the other halves - several of my club admit to this. (Anything for a quiet life)
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Unlike old-type helmets, modern ones really aren't hot to wear. I've honestly never seen why anyone would have a problem wearing one. Where I can see a practical objection is that they are a nuisance to cart around when you're off the bike. For people doing short slow runs on decent road surfaces, or smooth off-road tracks, I can see an argument for not bothering, though I always wear one and just stuff it in the pannier(s) or clip it to the pannier straps when off the bike.
I used to see helmets left locked to bikes, which made sense, but that was back in the day when helmets were a bit chunkier.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Cugel wrote:

Who makes this rule in your club? What is the process for changing a rule? What will happen should you ignore the rule?

Perhaps a poke at the rule (or even two pokes) might be good?

Cugel

Salford Cycling Club.
https://spark.adobe.com/page/K5ZJ8HQUz2MuY/
I think the guy who started the club is a member on here. Steve Purcell. Don't know if he is still active.