Old Skool

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
foxyrider

Old Skool

Post by foxyrider »

Is it my imagination or are more riders going lid less this year? In the recent past i've been the lone polystyrene free rider on the local roads but just today about half of the road riders I saw were au naturel or just wearing a casquette.

So is this a national thing or a local Eroica fuelled thing?

Just curious if others have noticed this.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Mike Sales

Re: Old Skool

Post by Mike Sales »

foxyrider wrote:Is it my imagination or are more riders going lid less this year? In the recent past i've been the lone polystyrene free rider on the local roads but just today about half of the road riders I saw were au naturel or just wearing a casquette.

Not really, but a couple on hybrids, lidless, passed me on the Water Rail Way the other day.
Me, in casquette, said, "Where's your foam hats. You will die." They laughed.

A helmet is pretty much part of the uniform otherwise.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Mike Sales wrote:
foxyrider wrote:Is it my imagination or are more riders going lid less this year? In the recent past i've been the lone polystyrene free rider on the local roads but just today about half of the road riders I saw were au naturel or just wearing a casquette.

Not really, but a couple on hybrids, lidless, passed me on the Water Rail Way the other day.
I said, "Where's your foam hats. You will die." They laughed.

A helmet is pretty much part of the uniform otherwise.

No idea why anyone would need a lid to ride on there! Death, as they say is a fact of life!

Which reminds me - I saw a Rasta riding earlier, all the gear and his polystyrene precariously balanced atop his dreadlocks - absolute waste of time strapping it on. But that's a different thing altogether.
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

foxyrider wrote:No idea why anyone would need a lid to ride on there! Death, as they say is a fact of life!

I saw recently a cyclist riding on the pavement in helmet and hiviz with a flashing white beacon, in broad daylight. Can't be too careful.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

foxyrider wrote:
Which reminds me - I saw a Rasta riding earlier, all the gear and his polystyrene precariously balanced atop his dreadlocks - absolute waste of time strapping it on. But that's a different thing altogether.

I hope the helmet was red, green and yellow.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Mike Sales wrote:
foxyrider wrote:

I hope the helmet was red, green and yellow.

Sadly not - boring white
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

i only use a lid as it also has a peak to keep the sun out of my eyes
xjs

Post by xjs »

Yeah, I've noticed it amongst commuters in London. Most people on the hire bikes are not helmeted, and there do seem to be more of the "usual" commuters sans casque. At a traffic light yesterday evening, four or five out of twenty or so riders had no helmet on.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

xjs wrote:Yeah, I've noticed it amongst commuters in London. Most people on the hire bikes are not helmeted, and there do seem to be more of the "usual" commuters sans casque. At a traffic light yesterday evening, four or five out of twenty or so riders had no helmet on.

Yea commonsense prevailing.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

mercalia wrote:i only use a lid as it also has a peak to keep the sun out of my eyes

Cotton cap?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

eileithyia wrote:
mercalia wrote:i only use a lid as it also has a peak to keep the sun out of my eyes

Cotton cap?

Not nearly bulky enough to show off your cycling piety throughout the day...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

eileithyia wrote:

Cotton cap?

do they have straps so it dont blow off? thats the other aspect
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I'd love a cotton cap that doesn't blow off. I have to settle for a £3 Snood which is there to keep the sweat off my eyes and the sun off my neck. Or to keep me warm on the freezing days. Sunglasses are there to keep the sun out of my eyes.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mercalia wrote:
eileithyia wrote:

Cotton cap?

I have never had my cotton cap blow off. Might be a question of the relative sizes of head and cap?
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Mike Sales wrote:
mercalia wrote:
eileithyia wrote:
Cotton cap?

I have never had my cotton cap blow off. Might be a question of the relative sizes of head and cap?

I've had to chase mine down the road a few times after a fast descent. If you have them that tight that they won't move then I find them really uncomfortable. It's the lift off the peak that causes it.