Impending conversation with my wife

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
horizon

Re: Impending conversation with my wife

Post by horizon »

I'm also beginning to think that this thread has more to do with relationship issues than helmet issues. How do you cope with things like vaccinations if you disagree? Or just simple risk taking like foreign travel? And then there is the trust needed to accept your partner's decisions. I suppose I would couch it in terms like this:

"I would always do whatever you wanted me to do because your happiness means everything to me and I trust your judgment. But there will be times when I cannot go along with something and I need you to trust that I'm making the right decision for both of us. I might even be wrong and I'm willing to keep an open mind but right now I'm asking you to accept and support my decision even though it's a tough one. And if you can, it's something that I'm going to remember when you need my support for something that I find difficult."

No mention of helmets.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

Quick update: forgot to check the family calendar, so my wife was out last night and I dodged a bullet. And I'm on the bus today as I haven't worked out how to carry a full-size mop (which I need to buy) on a bike. As and when It happens, I'll of course let you all know... :D
tod28

Post by tod28 »

brooksby wrote: I haven't worked out how to carry a full-size mop (which I need to buy) on a bike. :D

Bungee'd fore 'n aft to the side of the top tube?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

brooksby wrote:Quick update: forgot to check the family calendar, so my wife was out last night and I dodged a bullet. And I'm on the bus today as I haven't worked out how to carry a full-size mop (which I need to buy) on a bike. As and when It happens, I'll of course let you all know... :D

Perhaps if you remove the mop head from the handle and wear it as a h*lm*t ,as it's as much use :wink:,and use the long handle as a lance to fend of cars :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

brooksby wrote:Quick update: forgot to check the family calendar, so my wife was out last night and I dodged a bullet. And I'm on the bus today as I haven't worked out how to carry a full-size mop (which I need to buy) on a bike. As and when It happens, I'll of course let you all know... :D

The most important advice ;) bungee the mop to the top tube.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Could this be an opportunity to start the conversation yourself, rather than wait until caught in the act? Casually mention you'll be back on the bike tomorrow, oh and by the way, haven't used the helmet for commuting for months after reading up on the pros and cons. Maybe drop in that (a) you didn't twig until recently that she hadn't noticed, and/or (b) drivers give cyclists less space if they have helmets on (research done at Bath and quoted somewhere in this forum, iirc).

Not knowing either of you I can't say if the above is a good idea, but it might start the conversation with a lower adrenaline concentration.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Perhaps you could tie the mop at right angles to the bike! That would stop any close passes :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I thought sometimes that there were needs for two half bricks fitted to the handlebars that would suit some conditions.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

tod28 wrote:
brooksby wrote: I haven't worked out how to carry a full-size mop (which I need to buy) on a bike. :D

Tennis-racket holder on the forks, like the girls at St Trinians used, just make sure not to bash any bridges
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Hmmm, smells like middle class southern softie talk, don't wear one, ignore her and she'll either stop nagging or file for divorce, win/win if you ask me :lol:
Why should you compromise on something you've decided based on fact, she sounds like she wouldn't be receptive for something on the other foot. Not a single women in my life incl my childs mother has mentioned helmets nor indeed for the boy either.
Take a stand fgs or just keep ignoring the nagging!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

tod28 wrote:

Replace the front forks - ride and clean at the same time...

Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cunobelin wrote:
tod28 wrote:

Replace the front forks - ride and clean at the same time...

Plus One, the little angels can clean up and have fun at once :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

A while has elapsed
Did the conversation take place, has the situation resolved itself? Was doing nothing an option?