Impending conversation with my wife

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Bez

Re: Impending conversation with my wife

Post by Bez »

Set up a google news alert for head injuries suffered while in a motor vehicle or on foot. Routinely forward her the links to the news articles that result from it.

If you want to take passive-aggressivism to the Pro level, after a few weeks of doing that, buy her a motorcycle helmet and insist she wears it in the car.

How brave are you feeling? :)
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bez wrote:If you want to take passive-aggressivism to the Pro level, after a few weeks of doing that, buy her a motorcycle helmet and insist she wears it in the car.

I'm pretty sure that's not legal due to the restricted vision, but you may still be able to find those awful Australian motoring helmets on ebay which presumably have no similar problems.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

My Missus might voice opinions about things like this but she would not try to impose her will over mine. Actually, I wear a helmet on most rides and she doesn't. That is us giving each other space to be ourselves.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Another sad thing which affects the concerns you have for your wife is that if you were wiped out by by bad driving it would be your bereaved family who would be left trying to sort it out. The crowing from the victim-blamers would be just one more thing exacerbating bereavement.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
Bez wrote:If you want to take passive-aggressivism to the Pro level, after a few weeks of doing that, buy her a motorcycle helmet and insist she wears it in the car.

I'm pretty sure that's not legal due to the restricted vision, but you may still be able to find those awful Australian motoring helmets on ebay which presumably have no similar problems.

If motor cycle helmets restricted vision in a way that affected driving they would be illegal for all types of driving. In any case they don't restrict vision.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:If motor cycle helmets restricted vision in a way that affected driving they would be illegal for all types of driving. In any case they don't restrict vision.

Firstly, some motorcycle helmets are not road legal and only for track racing.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure that even the road legal ones restrict vision more than permitted for driving a car - they're OK for motorcycling because the controls and mirrors are all closer together and there's no bodywork in the way.

Finally, just on a practical note, I'm fairly sure I would be hitting a helmet that big on various bits of the car interior while doing shoulder-checks and so on.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Bez wrote: ... If you want to take passive-aggressivism to the Pro level, after a few weeks of doing that, buy her a motorcycle helmet and insist she wears it in the car. ...

Or a driver's racing helmet, if only to prevent controversy on cycling forums
:wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plus One for this thread, a new angle

Has she ever managed to change your mind?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bez

Post by Bez »

The remark about the driving helmet may not have been entirely serious as a practical proposition. Just in case you wanted to avoid wasting your time arguing about it…

That said, I do have a driving helmet myself, and not even for the purpose of antagonising my wife ;)

broadway

Post by broadway »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:If motor cycle helmets restricted vision in a way that affected driving they would be illegal for all types of driving. In any case they don't restrict vision.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure that even the road legal ones restrict vision more than permitted for driving a car - they're OK for motorcycling because the controls and mirrors are all closer together and there's no bodywork in the way.

Finally, just on a practical note, I'm fairly sure I would be hitting a helmet that big on various bits of the car interior while doing shoulder-checks and so on.

Can't say any of these "facts" prove that wearing a helmet in a car is illegal.

The fact that a helmet is not road legal for motorcycle use would not prevent it being worn by someone in a car.
broadway

Post by broadway »

brooksby wrote:It's difficult, because I've known my wife for twenty five years and have never *ever* managed to change her mind on anything... She hasn't ridden a bike since she was a teenager: she's a regular motorist and has convinced herself that the roads are terrifyingly dangerous for cyclists.

It occurs to me that she's happy to drive her car on the roads even though it's old, and has no crumple zones, ABS, airbags, etc... I wonder if I could use that in a counter argument :D

(I suspect that I'll end up acting like a teenager, and wearing a helmet to leave the house and return to the house, but putting it in a pannier in between... :roll: )

My wife was in an car crash and had head injuries with concussion and was in a coma for a few days (Renault 14 no airbags, but seat belts). A few years later when I started cycling to work she wanted me to wear a helmet, but never felt the need to wear a helmet in a car even though she is one who has suffered head injuries.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Passengers in cars could certainly protect their brains with full-face helmets
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Trouble with lid posts is that you will be outnumbered by the anti lid wearing brigade.

It's not a contest decided by number of posts.

And in any case the "anti lid wearing brigade" are a minority (unless you regard the opposite of "pro life" groups as being "pro death", that is...) I'd characterise the view that comes over most here as being pretty much in like with CUK policy: anti compulsion, anti promotion, down to personal choice, evidence based.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:

If a motorcycle helmet passes the safety standards required for racing then it more than passes those required for road helmets. Most of the better helmets on sale are ACU approved for racing, it's the poorer helmets which are not suitable for use on the track.
Have you looked at the width of handlebar on many motorbikes - the controls are on the end of them and generally much further apart than those clustered round your car steering wheel. A motorcycle helmet will not affect the driver's view of car mirrors in any way , shape or form.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Has she got a cute younger sister ? If so run off with her ... Life's to short for control freaks in your life ... Remember to take your bikes ..... But leave the helmet !!!!!!!! :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.