Guardian Video - Should cyclists be forced to wear helmets ?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Cunobelin

Re: Guardian Video - Should cyclists be forced to wear helmets ?

Post by Cunobelin »

Beards should be limited to recumbent riders and tourists....... anyone else with a bird is a poser and wannabe hipster!!!!

Having said that - my beard saved my life

I had a fall and the beard absorbed most of the damage, I don't think I would be here today if it wasn't for my beard. Perhaps they should be made compulsory
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'd have to use a false beard then! :shock:
Last haircut was in summer 2015 and my last shave was only a month or two later.
Mick F. Cornwall
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

ChrisButch wrote:… he looks the way a non-cycling sceptic would expect a Guardian cycling journalist to look. And unfortunately appearance counts for so much these days if you want to be taken seriously.

Have to admit I'd thought this. Mind you, I have a greying crew-cut, a beard, glasses, and wear a cycling cap so perhaps I'm also someone's stereotype...?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cunobelin wrote:Beards should be limited to recumbent riders and tourists....... anyone else with a bird is a poser and wannabe hipster!!!!

I had a fall and the beard absorbed most of the damage, I don't think I would be here today if it wasn't for my beard. Perhaps they should be made compulsory

But why do most men shave every day so they look like children? Surely they could get their faces waxed so the hair stops growing altogether
Don't expect an answer from Cunobelin :wink:

2018 is a Karl-Marx year, I could grow hair and beard (grey) to impersonate him
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Beards should be limited to recumbent riders and tourists....... anyone else with a bird is a poser and wannabe hipster!!!!

But why do most men shave every day so they look like children? Surely they could get their faces waxed so the hair stops growing altogether
Don't expect an answer from Cunobelin :wink:

2018 is a Karl-Marx year, I could grow hair and beard (grey) to impersonate him

Haven't shaved since 1976!

Waxing is for poseurs..........never felt the need for the ultimate poseur option, a 'back, sac and crack" either

Besides if I had shaved - I probably would have died
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm completely bald.
Totally over the whole body.
Not one hair or hair follicle anywhere.

Been like this for a couple of years now.
Excellent, and I'm more than happy to be like this and would be distraught if any hair came back.

Alopecia Universalis.
Seems like I have a "rare disease" :D
https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/disea ... niversalis
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mick F wrote:I'm completely bald.
Totally over the whole body.
Not one hair or hair follicle anywhere.

Been like this for a couple of years now.
Excellent, and I'm more than happy to be like this and would be distraught if any hair came back.

Alopecia Universalis.
Seems like I have a "rare disease" :D
https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/disea ... niversalis

I have heard of Brazilians but that sounds amazing! Short and curleys seem to resist the tendency to go grey. I treasure the ginger bits.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:
Yes, absolutely no hair anywhere, not even eyebrows or eyelashes.
It's the eyelashes that's a problem I think. I have to be careful with dust and cat hair and I try not to touch my eyes at all, not even rub them when I'm tired.

Other than that, no issues whatsoever and I'm in and out of the shower in a jiffy. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Except for Mick F, I think beards should be compulsory
Are there are statistics on how many injuries are caused by scraping sharp metal blades across the skin? Electric shavers in the bathroom are hazardous too
Not to mention the value of the time used, what could be produced in those millions of wasted hours?

Forby it might be better just to sleep a bit longer :wink:
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Crikey - that must be a very dense beard!
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Except for Mick F, I think beards should be compulsory
Are there are statistics on how many injuries are caused by scraping sharp metal blades across the skin? Electric shavers in the bathroom are hazardous too
Not to mention the value of the time used, what could be produced in those millions of wasted hours?

Forby it might be better just to sleep a bit longer :wink:

Having significantly expanded the hair on my head in recent months, I find the time saved by not shaving comes in handy for combing and cleaning the beard. At least sleeping with two cats reduces the temptation for birds to nest in it.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

fastpedaller wrote:

Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Could anybody summarise the arguments made in the film? I had to stop listening to it cos of the music
Diolch

What should a Guardian cycling Corris-pondent look like?
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Could anybody summarise the arguments made in the film?

Peter Walker's book "Bike Nation" is an obvious point of reference, particularly the "If bike helmets are the answer you're asking the wrong question" chapter (good book, worth a look IMHO). Well researched, he knows what he's on about and it's pragmatic more than preaching.

For the video, exec summary is it's all a bit more complicated than first-though "common sense" may suggest, and pushing them isn't going to help anyone much. Probably nothing you didn't know, but quite a lot that a great many people have got entirely the wrong idea about.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cunobelin wrote:
fastpedaller wrote:

Do you use any special care or grooming products? I see the drugstores have dreamed some up, trying to make more money

I am wondering whether to shave part of my beard or head, then I could look a bit like a footballer. Not sure tattoos are compulsory. The Grauniad has some good photos of footballers hairstyles :wink: