Anyone else stopped wearing helmets in this weather?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Cugel

Re: Anyone else stopped wearing helmets in this weather?

Post by Cugel »

The utility cyclist wrote:
Mick F wrote:Major "at risk" group are car occupants.helmet_causes.jpg

that's not even close to UK stats.
1.3million reported head injuries, that usually means something serious enough to report it, 160,000 admitted into hospital, total UK serious cycling injuries, the majority of which are due solely to criminal motorists are about 3200, serious head injuries number circa 800-1500 depending on whose guesswork you use. That figure has only got worse SINCE helmet wearing started to become a thing after UCI changed the rules for pros and BC followed suit plus more active promotion by government and police.
But yup, let's only focus on the group that presents a tiny fraction of the hundreds of thousands of SHI and the heat problems that helmets cause in this weather, somethings okkers/Kiwis and others have real problems with all the time.
I sometimes wear a cap but usually don't, good quality sunblock on the neck and ears.

I feel that you are being utterly irresponsible in not wearing a good cycling cap, which will almost certainly one day save your life by preventing you riding over a cliff that you hadn't noticed because the sun was in your eyes.

If and when you come to your senses and realise your responsibility to set a good example to the little children everywhere by always wearing your cap, you will be pleased to know that I have a selection of proven designs for sale at only £199 each (£299 for those which are 1gm lighter and have cooling vents).

Cugel, an entrepreneur.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Cugel wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:
Mick F wrote:Major "at risk" group are car occupants.helmet_causes.jpg

that's not even close to UK stats.
1.3million reported head injuries, that usually means something serious enough to report it, 160,000 admitted into hospital, total UK serious cycling injuries, the majority of which are due solely to criminal motorists are about 3200, serious head injuries number circa 800-1500 depending on whose guesswork you use. That figure has only got worse SINCE helmet wearing started to become a thing after UCI changed the rules for pros and BC followed suit plus more active promotion by government and police.
But yup, let's only focus on the group that presents a tiny fraction of the hundreds of thousands of SHI and the heat problems that helmets cause in this weather, somethings okkers/Kiwis and others have real problems with all the time.
I sometimes wear a cap but usually don't, good quality sunblock on the neck and ears.

I feel that you are being utterly irresponsible in not wearing a good cycling cap, which will almost certainly one day save your life by preventing you riding over a cliff that you hadn't noticed because the sun was in your eyes.

If and when you come to your senses and realise your responsibility to set a good example to the little children everywhere by always wearing your cap, you will be pleased to know that I have a selection of proven designs for sale at only £199 each (£299 for those which are 1gm lighter and have cooling vents).

Cugel, an entrepreneur.

DIBS!! :lol:
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

Heck no. After the accident I had when I was 7y/o I will not get on a cycle without a helmet.

Same as despite the heat I won’t get on a motorbike without my full armoured suit. You think a cycle helmet is hot. Try body armour and a full face lid.
My poor poor bottom
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

I expect that's why folks ride around in short sleeved shirts without helmets on their Harley-Davidsons in Florida
mr_pedalling

Post by mr_pedalling »

I stopped wearing my helmet when ride my pushbike, but not when ride my motorbike :D
Shut up legs! Do what I tell you to do
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

mr_pedalling wrote:I stopped wearing my helmet when ride my pushbike, but not when ride my motorbike :D

And I wear an open face helmet on the motorbike .. But no cycling helmet.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Xilter wrote:Heck no. After the accident I had when I was 7y/o I will not get on a cycle without a helmet.
I had loads of accidents from riding a bike as a kid.
Knees, arms, hands, feet, and even my chin.
This is me on my scooter with my sister and her bike. I fell off her bike and when I hit the road, my chin scraped along and I still have the scars. :cry:
Scooter.jpeg

As an adult, my accidents have hurt my knees, thighs, feet, hands.
Never ever ever have I banged my head.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Only accident on a bicycle in 43 years and my head hit the ground and smashed the helmet.
Chin childhood injuries we all had them, I got a scar too.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

Mick F wrote:
Xilter wrote:Heck no. After the accident I had when I was 7y/o I will not get on a cycle without a helmet.
I had loads of accidents from riding a bike as a kid.
Knees, arms, hands, feet, and even my chin.
This is me on my scooter with my sister and her bike. I fell off her bike and when I hit the road, my chin scraped along and I still have the scars. :cry: Scooter.jpeg

As an adult, my accidents have hurt my knees, thighs, feet, hands.
Never ever ever have I banged my head.

Well I must be the only person in the world then who when had the front wheel lock up I went over the handle bars and split my helmet. Had to have a few stitches in my face aswell. But seeing the chunk missing from the front of my helmet and the crack running front to back...
My poor poor bottom
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Statistically you're very much in the minority, massively so in fact. Your injury is classified as a serious head injury, that puts you as one amongst circa 1.3million head injuries reported to a health professional every year from around the UK for various reasons.
Even if you take half of all serious cyclist injuries as being a head injury (it's not that high), that ratio compared to the rest of society is around 1000:1, the vast majority of cycling serious injuries are solely the fault of criminals.

Anyway, how do you know that you might not have hit your head without a helmet? How do you know the event would have happened at all if you were not wearing a helmet, your behaviour/actions would have been different? All these things are the reason why despite huge increases in helmet wearing they make absolutely zero difference, in many cases they make matters worse.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Same as despite the heat I won’t get on a motorbike without my full armoured suit. You think a cycle helmet is hot. Try body armour and a full face lid.

Which ironically full face helmets are what Headway advocate for cyclists
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Cunobelin wrote:

Which ironically full face helmets are what Headway advocate for cyclists

Is that true? They must really hate us.
hondated

Post by hondated »

The utility cyclist wrote:Statistically you're very much in the minority, massively so in fact. Your injury is classified as a serious head injury, that puts you as one amongst circa 1.3million head injuries reported to a health professional every year from around the UK for various reasons.
Even if you take half of all serious cyclist injuries as being a head injury (it's not that high), that ratio compared to the rest of society is around 1000:1, the vast majority of cycling serious injuries are solely the fault of criminals.

Anyway, how do you know that you might not have hit your head without a helmet? How do you know the event would have happened at all if you were not wearing a helmet, your behaviour/actions would have been different? All these things are the reason why despite huge increases in helmet wearing they make absolutely zero difference, in many cases they make matters worse.

Wrote a long message on here previously but somehow it never got published. Probably me hitting the button at the wrong time.
What I was basically saying was back in 1967 I had a motorcycle accident with my mate on the back of the bike and I wearing a helmet managed to split my head open and he helmetless got away without an injury. So go figure ! Is it really all down to happenstance and what will be will be !
Last edited by hondated on 5 Aug 2018, 12:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Xilter Now your talking !. Like you however hot it is I will not ride my motorbike without protective gear on. Its also leather all the way for me as well.
Last week out on my bicycle I saw two youngsters on small motorbikes one was also carrying a young girl wearing. All were in shorts and T shirts. Stopped at a set of lights I just had to say to them to be very careful but although polite in return they told me they didnt see a problem.
No doubt they thought I was just a silly old boy but I just pray that nothing does happen to them as it wouldn't be very nice as I am sure you will agree.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The utility cyclist wrote:Statistically you're very much in the minority, massively so in fact. Your injury is classified as a serious head injury, that puts you as one amongst circa 1.3million head injuries reported to a health professional every year from around the UK for various reasons.

One of the issues is that no research is done into helmets and head injuries as a whole..... only into cyclists and helmets

Cohort studies that look at all head injury admissions invariably place alcohol as the main factor followed by simple trips and falls. Cycling as an activity never ever features in theses studies.

A recent study (2016) showed:
We identified 15 820 patients with TBI presenting to neurosurgical centres directly (6258), transferred from a district hospital to a neurosurgical centre (3682) and remaining in a district general hospital (5880). The commonest mechanisms of injury were falls in the elderly and road traffic collisions in the young, which were more likely to present in coma.

There are also other links which should be of concern, but are ignored. If you are homeless, your risk of an admission from head injury is 5 times higher than the "average" person

It is really annoying that Health Care Professionals are allowed to get away with such blatant hypocrisy when they concentrate on cyclists and ignore the vast majority of head injuries