Anyone else stopped wearing helmets in this weather?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Airsporter1st

Re: Anyone else stopped wearing helmets in this weather?

Post by Airsporter1st »

Phil Fouracre wrote:
De Sisti wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:Who in their right mind would stop wearing a life-saving device, just because it is hot?

Helmets have never been proven to save lives. One would have to have the same accident under the exact
same conditions to prove whether a helmet would have saved someone.

Oops!! Was Airsporter serious? I'd assumed it was trolling! :-) :-)

Not trolling, I hope - just a light-hearted poke. I've no problem with those that feel safer wearing them, but they are not for me.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Nothing wrong with a 'light hearted poke'! Just finding it hard work recently getting grief from total strangers about not wearing a helmet!!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

We have bike-shaped objects, where may I get a helmet-shaped object? :wink:
Actually I nearly always wear a cap or a woolly hat when cycling
I have a beard too of course, Cunobelin described how his saved his life, +1
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Nothing wrong with a 'light hearted poke'! Just finding it hard work recently getting grief from total strangers about not wearing a helmet!!

So far, I’ve not had any adverse comments - possibly because they are all too busy looking at my dog who comes along with me in a Buddyrider. However, I would be very tempted to print out a few copies of the table posted above and hand a copy out to any dissenters.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

I am still wearing mine. I have only had two days without cycling in the last five weeks and have done some 935 miles. I now have the usual odd dark patches on my (follically-challenged) bonce where the sun shines through the vents, together with paler areas where the straps screen my face. (My legs look silly as usual, almost black to just above the knee). But if I go fast enough there is a nice breeze through the helmet vents :lol:. OTOH the straps are almost rigid with salt encrustation.

The other week I was chatting to a pleasant young cycling bobby. He is not only required to wear a helmet but also a fluoro jacket and heavy-looking trousers with heaps of clobber: handcuffs, truncheon etc. He did however somewhat guiltily confide to me that he was breaking the rule book by not wearing his stab vest :shock: I didn’t feel I’d got much to complain about as I tucked into my ice cream.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Airsporter1st wrote:If you line it with tinfoil, you can kill two birds with one stone.

Lining it with granite and throwing it at pigeons would also work.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Mick F wrote:Major "at risk" group are car occupants.helmet_causes.jpg

that's not even close to UK stats.
1.3million reported head injuries, that usually means something serious enough to report it, 160,000 admitted into hospital, total UK serious cycling injuries, the majority of which are due solely to criminal motorists are about 3200, serious head injuries number circa 800-1500 depending on whose guesswork you use. That figure has only got worse SINCE helmet wearing started to become a thing after UCI changed the rules for pros and BC followed suit plus more active promotion by government and police.
But yup, let's only focus on the group that presents a tiny fraction of the hundreds of thousands of SHI and the heat problems that helmets cause in this weather, somethings okkers/Kiwis and others have real problems with all the time.
I sometimes wear a cap but usually don't, good quality sunblock on the neck and ears.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Is this one of those 'when did you stop beating your wife' questions? :wink: :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mjr

Post by mjr »

The utility cyclist wrote:That figure has only got worse SINCE helmet wearing started to become a thing after UCI changed the rules for pros and BC followed suit plus more active promotion by government and police.

I urge everyone to look at the solid body of evidence that the UCI compiled to convince the pros to start wearing... oh no sorry, that was a dream. In reality, they cynically exploited rider deaths to force more helmet-use rules through and then applied stonking fines... but I'm sure Verbruggen and McQuaid never took bribes from anyone to change rules oh no :evil:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

A few weeks ago I ditched my helmet mid ride as I had an near empty pannier to put it in. The reason for the wind in my hair feeling was it was hot and a lot of sweat was coming off my head and being absorbed by the pads and then dribbling down my forehead so the ten miles from Saltford to central Bristol on the B2B path was done bareheaded.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I have short hair (No. 2, as it grows like wildfire) and wear neither helmet or cap.
I massage a blob of Factor 50 through my hair onto my scalp on sunny days.
Having taken part in a recent 14 day ride in intense heat and sun, riding for 8 -9 hours a day i suffered neither sun burn or other heat issues.
Drinking 6+ litres of fluid / day helped I'm sure .. :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
And that was probably not enough drinking either landsurfer.
We normally put on weight during the day I put on 1-1.5kgs.
Away from home for over 16 hrs drank 7 litres still light at home by 1-2 kgs.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Airsporter1st wrote:Who in their right mind would stop wearing a life-saving device, just because it is hot? Surely, if they are convinced of the efficacy of a helmet, they should wear it constantly (maybe take it off for bed).

Even in bed there are dangers to the head! I have known ladeez who would go for the head if annoyed, often after one had fallen asleep. Also, the picture hung above the bedhead might decide to lose its hanger at 01:47, just when you thought you were safe and had carefully placed the helmet on the dresser before retiring.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

yakdiver wrote:
mjr wrote:
yakdiver wrote:I'd would feel naked without it

You get used to it, same as most of us got used to feeling weighed down by them, having grown up riding normally.

No not me, actually while out on my trike today I thought of this photo

That will keep the alarmed crows, or even a red kite, from getting its claws too near the wig. I hope you are still also wearing your cricket box, as the crow might decide to concentrate its ire elsewhere once it realises the helmet is preventing wig-scratting.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
pwa

Post by pwa »

Midweek, cycling with my wife SW from Talgarth on what happens to be NCN 8 in the direction of Brecon, through Llanfilo, along a beautiful, spectacular but insanely hilly lane (hence its NCN status) I did suggest to my better half that we could ditch the lids for the long slow climb, with the day being so hot, but she said she'd stick with the helmet and review things as we climbed. We never reached the point where we needed to lose the lids. TBH I don't remember even thinking about it again. It wasn't an issue.

But my policy is that the lid stays on until something else, such as excess heat on a long slow climb, makes that impractical.