Helmet may actually have saved a life...

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
brooksby

Re: Helmet may actually have saved a life...

Post by brooksby »

Cyril Haearn wrote:.. &c.. speeding crime is the greatest cause of "accidents"

I thought it was all due to those cars reported in the papers which can apparently leave the road / roll over / break into someone's front room without apparently there being any human interaction at all (like KITT or Herbie, as far as the papers would have it).
hondated

Post by hondated »

[XAP]Bob wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/triathlon/44978252

From the description the helmet actuallyndisnwhatbitnwas designed to do (crushed) and they guy still ended up with a halo bolted to his head for three months...

Sorry to read this Bob as I didnt know Tim had suffered this accident. Back in the day he was one of our great triathletes so I hope he fully recovers and get to where he should be in his age group.
hondated

Post by hondated »

It really doesn't matter whether they save lives or not as in todays society if your not wearing one your not a proper cyclist, end of. :lol:
Discuss :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:I don't care.
I still don't care.

Helmets?
Do and wear what you want. I don't care.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

hondated wrote:It really doesn't matter whether they save lives or not as in todays society if your not wearing one your not a proper cyclist, end of. :lol:

I ride recumbents, folders, tricycles and cargo bikes / trikes

For these reasons I have never been a “proper cyclist” anyway
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

hondated wrote:It really doesn't matter whether they save lives or not as in todays society if your not wearing one your not a proper cyclist, end of. :lol:

We have bike-shaped objects
Where might one get a helmet-shaped object? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

We have bike-shaped objects
Where might one get a helmet-shaped object? :wink:

Any ‘cycle’ shop - they’re just labelled helmets.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Funeraldirector

Post by Funeraldirector »

Quote from the coroner ‘If he had been wearing a helmet he’d be in hospital but he’d be alive.’
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Funeraldirector wrote:Quote from the coroner ‘If he had been wearing a helmet he’d be in hospital but he’d be alive.’

I am not so scared of dying
I am scared of surviving seriously injured and crippled, spending decades in care unable to communicate my wish to be put out of my misery
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Funeraldirector wrote:Quote from the coroner ‘If he had been wearing a helmet he’d be in hospital but he’d be alive.’

At the very least the word "probably" belongs in there. Nobody could be 100% sure about something like that.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Wrong, magic hats have all sorts of powers! Including the capacity to make otherwise intelligent people say stupid things :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

I am scared of surviving seriously injured and crippled, spending decades in care unable to communicate my wish to be put out of my misery

This goes back to the ill informed scaremongering that forms far too much of the pro-helmet debate

The fact is that if you are to attend any hospital then the number of people who are " surviving seriously injured and crippled, spending decades in care unable to communicate my wish to be put out of my misery' will not be cyclists, but pedestrians, car drivers, people who have been drinking, elderly etc. Cyclists are actually rare when it comes to the total picture

Yet everyone seems to accept this large majority of head injuries, as though the pain, trauma, effect on the individual and families is some how less or doesn't matter because they were not on a bike!

Sheer hypocrisy
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

pwa wrote:

At the very least the word "probably" belongs in there. Nobody could be 100% sure about something like that.

It reminds me of those "Things you will never hear" jokes

Things you will never hear a Coroner say about a pedestrian/ assault / car accident / accident in a pub........... If he had been wearing a helmet he’d be in hospital but he’d be alive
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Cyril Haearn wrote:

+1
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Cyril Haearn wrote:

+1

Given that 60% of head injuries are alcohol related, and 34% from assaults....does the fear extend to going down to a city centre pub on a Saturday night

The fear of these injuries whilst cycling is irrational given the incidence