German helmet campaign backfires

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 9417
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm
Location: Sussex

German helmet campaign backfires

Postby 661-Pete » 24 Mar 2019, 6:14pm

As well it should:
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/ ... met-sexist
No more need be said...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 14680
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: German helmet campaign backfires

Postby mjr » 24 Mar 2019, 6:39pm

So if more people start using helmets, there will be fewer ads of half-dressed women? I suspect some men will now stop using helmets in order to encourage more similar ads. I don't think they thought it through very well!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

mercalia
Posts: 12251
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: German helmet campaign backfires

Postby mercalia » 24 Mar 2019, 8:19pm

661-Pete wrote:As well it should:
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/ ... met-sexist
No more need be said...


well yes there is : Trust the Guardian to censor the picture so you cant see what all the fuss is about?

helmit.JPG


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47684746

even the BBC didnt do that.
hard to believe that appearing here in the UK? maybe on a Playboy cover?

User avatar
The utility cyclist
Posts: 2711
Joined: 22 Aug 2016, 12:28pm
Location: The first garden city

Re: German helmet campaign backfires

Postby The utility cyclist » 24 Mar 2019, 9:36pm

there are actually photos of men and women in a state of undress, it's not sexist.

It is however yet more lies spread by a government that ignores the facts regarding cycling deaths. Only 3% modal share of transport, 382 road deaths (79000 reported injuries!!). Every 8th person to die on German roads is a cyclist, every 5th person injured on German roads is a cyclist and with the rise in helmet wearing they've seen a no real decrease in cycle deaths in the last 5 years yet over the same period 13% overall drop 9so taking out cyclists peds and motor users have dropped by more than 13% but cyclists remain static.
Oh yeah and according to the gov fatalties are 80% sole fault for HGV drivers and 75% car drivers fault, that's from the usual victim blaming bias plod, but yeah, let's focus on the vulnerable to take protective measures even if proven to not actually protect against the main reason for deaths! :twisted:

Look forward to German gov posting 'wear an anti rape device don't get raped' posters :twisted:

thelawnet
Posts: 2278
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 12:56am

Re: German helmet campaign backfires

Postby thelawnet » 24 Mar 2019, 10:03pm

mercalia wrote:well yes there is : Trust the Guardian to censor the picture so you cant see what all the fuss is about?

helmit.JPG

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47684746

even the BBC didnt do that.
hard to believe that appearing here in the UK? maybe on a Playboy cover?


To be accurate, the BBC also censored it. But to remove the naughty words.

I shan't post the actual uncensored version as apparently it upsets the sensibilities of all the many children reading this forum. :roll:

However the uncensored versions (9 in total) complete with 4-letter word are here: https://www.runtervomgas.de/aktionsmaterial/alles.html

There are both scantily clad young men and ladies. Though apparently the ladies are more offensive than the men. I am not sure if anyone has complained about the heteronormativity of the couples in the ads, but probably that could also offend someone?

I am not sure about their slogan. It seems to me that saying 'you will look terrible if you wear a helmet' is not a winning idea. They seem to be selling lots of helmets in the UK on the basis of 'they will make you faster' (true I think in some circumstances?) and 'Chris Froome wears one' (also true).

mercalia
Posts: 12251
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: German helmet campaign backfires

Postby mercalia » 24 Mar 2019, 11:15pm

thelawnet wrote:
mercalia wrote:well yes there is : Trust the Guardian to censor the picture so you cant see what all the fuss is about?

helmit.JPG

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47684746

even the BBC didnt do that.
hard to believe that appearing here in the UK? maybe on a Playboy cover?


To be accurate, the BBC also censored it. But to remove the naughty words.

I shan't post the actual uncensored version as apparently it upsets the sensibilities of all the many children reading this forum. :roll:

However the uncensored versions (9 in total) complete with 4-letter word are here: https://www.runtervomgas.de/aktionsmaterial/alles.html

There are both scantily clad young men and ladies. Though apparently the ladies are more offensive than the men. I am not sure if anyone has complained about the heteronormativity of the couples in the ads, but probably that could also offend someone?

I am not sure about their slogan. It seems to me that saying 'you will look terrible if you wear a helmet' is not a winning idea. They seem to be selling lots of helmets in the UK on the basis of 'they will make you faster' (true I think in some circumstances?) and 'Chris Froome wears one' (also true).


wow as I said the cover page for a Playboy pictorial :lol:

User avatar
The utility cyclist
Posts: 2711
Joined: 22 Aug 2016, 12:28pm
Location: The first garden city

Re: German helmet campaign backfires

Postby The utility cyclist » 25 Mar 2019, 12:56am

thelawnet wrote: and 'Chris Froome wears one' (also true).

Interesting that BITD Chris Froome went out on a training ride with Geraint Thomas (I think) and did so without a helmet, the video is on youtube somewhere.

brynpoeth
Posts: 11926
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: German helmet campaign backfires

Postby brynpoeth » 25 Mar 2019, 4:08am

Got people talkng/arguing, minusplus, the pictures seem inappropriate, is it wise to 'travel in ladies underwear' (only?)
S**t is not a word that should be used (the ad headlines are in English!)
Politicians of the 'great coalition' are glad of the chance to criticise each other :?
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "597"

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 9417
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm
Location: Sussex

Re: German helmet campaign backfires

Postby 661-Pete » 25 Mar 2019, 9:18am

I was puzzled too, as to why the slogan is in English. Presumably most people in former West Germany, at least, speak good English (a lot better than English people speak German!).

The slogan doesn't really ring true to a native English-speaker, does it? But perhaps to a German whose second language is English, it gives just the message they want to convey?

Anyway, German folk have every good reason to poke fun at us poor old Englanders, just now!

Incidentally, the portrayal of scantily-clad ladies is more the Sun's domain, or the Daily Fail's, surely - rather than the Grauniad's...?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

MikeF
Posts: 3810
Joined: 11 Nov 2012, 9:24am
Location: On the borders of the four South East Counties

Re: German helmet campaign backfires

Postby MikeF » 25 Mar 2019, 2:10pm

The campaign may have backfired on sexist grounds, but it was based on
According to Germany's Road Safety Association (DVR), 430 cyclists were killed on Germany's streets last year - 14% more than in 2017. Only 8% of the target age group wear helmets, the DVR says.
.
This implies that most of the 430 would not have died if they had been wearing helmets.
But what the DVR doesn't say is how many of those 430 died through head injuries, which is the most relevant point. If they died through other causes then that's what should be campaigned for in preference to helmets.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master