German helmet campaign backfires

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
661-Pete

German helmet campaign backfires

Post by 661-Pete »

As well it should:
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/ ... met-sexist
No more need be said...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mjr

Re: German helmet campaign backfires

Post by mjr »

So if more people start using helmets, there will be fewer ads of half-dressed women? I suspect some men will now stop using helmets in order to encourage more similar ads. I don't think they thought it through very well!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

661-Pete wrote:As well it should:
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/ ... met-sexist
No more need be said...

well yes there is : Trust the Guardian to censor the picture so you cant see what all the fuss is about?

helmit.JPG

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47684746

even the BBC didnt do that.
hard to believe that appearing here in the UK? maybe on a Playboy cover?
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

there are actually photos of men and women in a state of undress, it's not sexist.

It is however yet more lies spread by a government that ignores the facts regarding cycling deaths. Only 3% modal share of transport, 382 road deaths (79000 reported injuries!!). Every 8th person to die on German roads is a cyclist, every 5th person injured on German roads is a cyclist and with the rise in helmet wearing they've seen a no real decrease in cycle deaths in the last 5 years yet over the same period 13% overall drop 9so taking out cyclists peds and motor users have dropped by more than 13% but cyclists remain static.
Oh yeah and according to the gov fatalties are 80% sole fault for HGV drivers and 75% car drivers fault, that's from the usual victim blaming bias plod, but yeah, let's focus on the vulnerable to take protective measures even if proven to not actually protect against the main reason for deaths! :twisted:

Look forward to German gov posting 'wear an anti rape device don't get raped' posters :twisted:
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

mercalia wrote:well yes there is : Trust the Guardian to censor the picture so you cant see what all the fuss is about?

helmit.JPG

To be accurate, the BBC also censored it. But to remove the naughty words.

I shan't post the actual uncensored version as apparently it upsets the sensibilities of all the many children reading this forum. :roll:

However the uncensored versions (9 in total) complete with 4-letter word are here: https://www.runtervomgas.de/aktionsmaterial/alles.html

There are both scantily clad young men and ladies. Though apparently the ladies are more offensive than the men. I am not sure if anyone has complained about the heteronormativity of the couples in the ads, but probably that could also offend someone?

I am not sure about their slogan. It seems to me that saying 'you will look terrible if you wear a helmet' is not a winning idea. They seem to be selling lots of helmets in the UK on the basis of 'they will make you faster' (true I think in some circumstances?) and 'Chris Froome wears one' (also true).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

thelawnet wrote:
mercalia wrote:well yes there is : Trust the Guardian to censor the picture so you cant see what all the fuss is about?

helmit.JPG

To be accurate, the BBC also censored it. But to remove the naughty words.

I shan't post the actual uncensored version as apparently it upsets the sensibilities of all the many children reading this forum. :roll:

However the uncensored versions (9 in total) complete with 4-letter word are here: https://www.runtervomgas.de/aktionsmaterial/alles.html

There are both scantily clad young men and ladies. Though apparently the ladies are more offensive than the men. I am not sure if anyone has complained about the heteronormativity of the couples in the ads, but probably that could also offend someone?

I am not sure about their slogan. It seems to me that saying 'you will look terrible if you wear a helmet' is not a winning idea. They seem to be selling lots of helmets in the UK on the basis of 'they will make you faster' (true I think in some circumstances?) and 'Chris Froome wears one' (also true).

wow as I said the cover page for a Playboy pictorial :lol:
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

thelawnet wrote: and 'Chris Froome wears one' (also true).

Interesting that BITD Chris Froome went out on a training ride with Geraint Thomas (I think) and did so without a helmet, the video is on youtube somewhere.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Got people talkng/arguing, minusplus, the pictures seem inappropriate, is it wise to 'travel in ladies underwear' (only?)
S**t is not a word that should be used (the ad headlines are in English!)
Politicians of the 'great coalition' are glad of the chance to criticise each other :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I was puzzled too, as to why the slogan is in English. Presumably most people in former West Germany, at least, speak good English (a lot better than English people speak German!).

The slogan doesn't really ring true to a native English-speaker, does it? But perhaps to a German whose second language is English, it gives just the message they want to convey?

Anyway, German folk have every good reason to poke fun at us poor old Englanders, just now!

Incidentally, the portrayal of scantily-clad ladies is more the Sun's domain, or the Daily Fail's, surely - rather than the Grauniad's...?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

The campaign may have backfired on sexist grounds, but it was based on
According to Germany's Road Safety Association (DVR), 430 cyclists were killed on Germany's streets last year - 14% more than in 2017. Only 8% of the target age group wear helmets, the DVR says.
This implies that most of the 430 would not have died if they had been wearing helmets.
But what the DVR doesn't say is how many of those 430 died through head injuries, which is the most relevant point. If they died through other causes then that's what should be campaigned for in preference to helmets.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.