My Lidl helmet - and fall

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Steady rider

Re: My Lidl helmet - and fall

Post by Steady rider »

thelawnet » 28 Mar 2019, 4:09pm

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... t-2017.pdf

The casualty rate is 5604 per billion passenger miles cycling, and 238 per billion passenger miles in a car.

The death rate is 30.9 per billion passenger miles by cycle, and 1.9 per billion passenger miles in a car.

As noted, cyclists have a similar (only slightly lower) risk of casualty to motorcyclists, but much lower risk of death - slightly lower than a pedestrian. This presumably reflects speeds, etc., and does suggest analogies with motorcyclists are not wise.

In terms of 'serious injury' these are about 1/5 of the total for cyclists, i.e. 1120 per billion miles

To put it another way, if you did 52 * 50 mile weekly rides for 20 years with 12 people, that would be 624,000 passenger miles cumulatively, and you would expect to see a SI in that time

Just checking the figures, assuming the 1120 is correct, 1000,0000,000 /1120 = 892,857 passenger miles per SI. Assuming serious head injury to be 40% of injuries, once in 2.232 million miles cycled. Is this near to what would be expected from the data?
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

bigjim wrote:There is a video doing the rounds somewhere of a little girl trying to master riding a bicycle. It's in somewhere like Sweden. Time and again she falls off that bike. She never hits her head. Always lands on her hands.

This one? (Dutch, btw, "leren fietsen" is "learning to cycle")
[youtube]zkPYPeR97rU[/youtube]

bigjim wrote:I am amazed that parents stuff these huge helmets on a toddlers head while they are on a balance bike that leaves them closer to the ground than when they are walking/running. Learning to walk and ride my kids and grandkids have never banged their heads. It's always knees and hands.

At least our culture isn't mad enough to have whole-heartedly embraced the Thudguard for small folk learning to walk. Read the marketing blurb for that and it's remarkably close to how helmets have been pushed on cyclists. I think it's mainly gained traction for bikes because cycling isn't normal any more, and can thus be assumed to be weird and/or dangerous.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

That's it. Well done. Lovely happy video
No helmets just kids discovering the joy of cycling.