Helmets?

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 47724
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Helmets?

Postby Mick F » 24 Jul 2019, 7:15pm

atoz wrote:It doesn't take that much force to deform a cycle helmet .................
There's a thread on here of mine describing an experiment dropping my helmet onto solid concrete with a bag of sand inside.
I dropped it twice from head height before it even became damaged.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=79382&start=75

I weighed my head, and put the same? weight of sand in a bag, then dropped my helmet ...................................
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 14680
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Helmets?

Postby mjr » 24 Jul 2019, 8:19pm

Mick F wrote:
atoz wrote:It doesn't take that much force to deform a cycle helmet .................
There's a thread on here of mine describing an experiment dropping my helmet onto solid concrete with a bag of sand inside.
I dropped it twice from head height before it even became damaged.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=79382&start=75

I weighed my head, and put the same? weight of sand in a bag, then dropped my helmet ...................................

Which might be informative if your skull is soft and brain granulated!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

brynpoeth
Posts: 11926
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Helmets?

Postby brynpoeth » 25 Jul 2019, 6:05am

I read that the cops in Perth WA deflated the tyres of Hellmuth-less cyclists :?
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "597"

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9928
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Helmets?

Postby Cunobelin » 25 Jul 2019, 6:14am

Reminds me of the "melon test"

There used to be a common "demonstration" used that involved an egg being dropped, and then again in a protective case.

Simply do the same with the egg encased in a melon and the result is the same, proving that cyclists should wear melons!

rogerzilla
Posts: 1315
Joined: 9 Jun 2008, 8:06pm

Re: Helmets?

Postby rogerzilla » 25 Jul 2019, 12:45pm

Shouldn't this thread be consigned to the purgatory where all other helmet threads reside?

mattheus
Posts: 1380
Joined: 29 Dec 2008, 12:57pm

Re: Helmets?

Postby mattheus » 25 Jul 2019, 3:19pm

rogerzilla wrote:Shouldn't this thread be consigned to the purgatory where all other helmet threads reside?


Do you mean Y*CF??

[This thread is already in the "Helmets sub-forum" - I don't think there is anywhere lower for it to go.)

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 47724
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Helmets?

Postby Mick F » 25 Jul 2019, 6:16pm

mattheus wrote:.............. I don't think there is anywhere lower for it to go.)
What about the Brexit thread?

I would like to wear one to keep the Remainers off my head. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall

brynpoeth
Posts: 11926
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Helmets?

Postby brynpoeth » 25 Jul 2019, 6:36pm

mattheus wrote:
rogerzilla wrote:Shouldn't this thread be consigned to the purgatory where all other helmet threads reside?


Do you mean Y*CF??

[This thread is already in the "Helmets sub-forum" - I don't think there is anywhere lower for it to go.)

It could be put behind a paywall :wink:
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "597"

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9928
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Helmets?

Postby Cunobelin » 26 Jul 2019, 6:30am

Mick F wrote:
mattheus wrote:.............. I don't think there is anywhere lower for it to go.)
What about the Brexit thread?

I would like to wear one to keep the Remainers off my head. :wink:


This was not you then?

Image

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9928
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Helmets?

Postby Cunobelin » 26 Jul 2019, 6:32am

To be honest, the OP asked a question and got the answer

A bit of fun now is not changing that

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 47724
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Helmets?

Postby Mick F » 26 Jul 2019, 7:01am

Cunobelin wrote:This was not you then?
No. It can't be.

That person has hair! :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall

brynpoeth
Posts: 11926
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Helmets?

Postby brynpoeth » 27 Jul 2019, 7:47am

Saw a child wearing a Hellmuth, sitting on granny's shoulders, granny held a child's scooter in her hand
The kiddie was maybe 180 cm up
Could that be a situation where a h****t is appropriate?
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "597"