Shouty Helmet wearer

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Mike Sales

Re: Shouty Helmet wearer

Post by Mike Sales »

Wanlock Dod wrote:
drossall wrote:... This is an example of the kind of accident in which a helmet could be damaged quite significantly (should be; that's what's supposed to happen), without necessarily achieving any protection. It's also an anecdote, and it's very hard to be sure what would have happened with a helmet. ...

Given the tendency for helmets to suffer considerable damage during relatively minor crashes it is quite possible that there would have been an effect had you been wearing a helmet. The helmet would likely have been significantly damaged, but you would have been relatively unscathed (your head might even have been a little less sore). This would potentially have had the effect of you undergoing a spontaneous religious conversion into the Church of the Helmeteer. It would bear some similarity to somebody who had been miraculously cured of a terminal illness, because fatal head injuries only have one relevant outcome for those that suffer from them. The Church has a great many apostles and missionaries within its ranks and they roam the roads preaching about the benefits of helmets to anybody that they think might be in need of conversion.

The stupid driving of a friend put him in a coma for a few days. During his slow recovery he had a phase of believing in UFOs. (He is cured now.) His father, in his dour Scots accent said,
"If a little green man knocked on my door and asked me to take him to our leader, I still would not believe in them."
I like to think I would be equally resistant to a Pauline conversion, and if God spoke to me I would wonder who had spiked my beer.
Since I don't wear a lid I could not suffer such an accidental conversion.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Indeed, Paul is unusual in having apparently been converted by his vision. Other Biblical figures who reported visions either already more-or-less believed in whatever they saw, or changed their ideas for a short while then returned to old habits. I suspect it's the same for Helmuts, certainly there are some who've had lidded friends killed but still advocate halmit wear.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We were forced to wear bump hats on the ships during build up in Yarrows on the Clyde. All sorts of hazards for banging your head ........ up and down the passageways and compartments with cables, pipes, steel girders etc etc etc and workers carrying stuff past you and cranes lifting and shifting ..............

I lost count of the times my hat banged on a hatch, a beam or an obstruction. Didn't 'arf hurt.
Had I not been wearing a bump hat, would I have banged my (bare) head?
Bump hats are maybe 3" bigger all round than my bare head.
Mick F. Cornwall
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

Mike Sales wrote:Since I don't wear a lid I could not suffer such an accidental conversion.

Indeed there is evidently an element of susceptibility required. Could a god communicate directly to somebody who doesn’t believe in them at all?
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

Wanlock Dod wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:Since I don't wear a lid I could not suffer such an accidental conversion.

Indeed there is evidently an element of susceptibility required. Could a god communicate directly to somebody who doesn’t believe in them at all?

How else is a God going to get her belief system started :lol: :lol:
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Wanlock Dod wrote:In my experience folks are much more tolerant of people on bikes not wearing helmets than they are of cyclists not wearing helmets.
Normal clothes = no helmet expected
Lycra = helmet expected

I've worn 'lycra' since 1989, I've never had any comments when on the racing bikes, maybe the broad shouldered 16/17 stone rugby league don't get in my grill look makes people think twice about yapping off :lol: .
I've told plod to wear a helmet when I stopped to ask directions and one piped up about no plastic hat. The only other time was an old couple whilst at the market, obnoxious nasty people!

Some helmet wearers truly are pieces of work :evil:
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Wanlock Dod wrote:
drossall wrote:... This is an example of the kind of accident in which a helmet could be damaged quite significantly (should be; that's what's supposed to happen), without necessarily achieving any protection. It's also an anecdote, and it's very hard to be sure what would have happened with a helmet. ...

Given the tendency for helmets to suffer considerable damage during relatively minor crashes it is quite possible that there would have been an effect had you been wearing a helmet. The helmet would likely have been significantly damaged, but you would have been relatively unscathed (your head might even have been a little less sore). This would potentially have had the effect of you undergoing a spontaneous religious conversion into the Church of the Helmeteer. It would bear some similarity to somebody who had been miraculously cured of a terminal illness, because fatal head injuries only have one relevant outcome for those that suffer from them. The Church has a great many apostles and missionaries within its ranks and they roam the roads preaching about the benefits of helmets to anybody that they think might be in need of conversion.

I'm waiting for two of them, in full Sky kit, to knock on the door clutching pamphlets from some pro-helmet organisation along with the advert leaflets for helmets, each sale of which will get them another discount on their own daft Mekon-head bonnet.

I will invite them in for a long conversation. :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
jh27

Post by jh27 »

Mick F wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:I wonder if helmet wearers ever get shouted at by non-believers?
Under my breath I do!

Saw a couple of riders the other day, riding on the footway/pavement.
I wanted to stop and tell them to ..........

A. Get off the footpath onto the road.
B. Stop wearing a silly helmet because you're riding a bike on a footpath! What are you going to do? Fall off it?
C. Why aren't all the pedestrians wearing a helmet who you are having to navigate past?

Regarding point B, that's certainly a risk - particularly if it is narrow pavement and not a shared path. When an inattentive pedestrian suddenly steps into their path, there's a chance they'll collide with said pedestrian, fall 'off' the pavement and land in the road into the path of a vehicle - a helmet isn't going to do much to stop them getting squished.

I have collided with a pedestrian on a shared path - I gave him a very wide berth but he turned and moved into my path very suddenly and without any particular reason - I came away with a fractured wrist (he was completely uninjured), but I was fortunate not to have landed in the path of the oncoming 40mph traffic.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cugel wrote:I'm waiting for two of them, in full Sky kit, to knock on the door clutching pamphlets from some pro-helmet organisation along with the advert leaflets for helmets, each sale of which will get them another discount on their own daft Mekon-head bonnet.

I will invite them in for a long conversation. :-)

Cugel

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm afraid all of the evangelists have moved to Twitter.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

I know, let’s start a God thread - any chance of it outliving the helmet thread?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Did you see Chris Boardman riding and commenting on the World Championship Men's Road Race Harrogate loop prior to the days TV coverage?

He was on a hybrid, helmet-less, and numerous groups of helmeted roadies passed him.

No one shouted anything :D
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Well, he is God! :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity