Helmets in Spain

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
further

Helmets in Spain

Post by further »

We might be going to the Costa Blanca next year,what is the real world position with cycle helmets ?
Grateful for any input
C
deckertim

Re: Helmets in Spain

Post by deckertim »

Was there last week. Nobody seems to care, we saw loads of police and none of them batted an eye lid. The law is rather vague and seems to have loads of exceptions.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my JSN-L21 using hovercraft full of eels.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

We were in Mallorca a couple of weeks ago and very few people were wearing helmets
Richard M
Cardiff
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

further wrote:We might be going to the Costa Blanca next year,what is the real world position with cycle helmets ?
Grateful for any input
C

Several years ago I was stopped by the police for not wearing a helmet. I politely talked my way out of it by saying I'd forgotten to wear it, and it was at the hotel, and I would not forget it in future, senor. This was on the Costa Blanca. My friend who lives there warned me that the police have issued on the spot fines and sometimes confiscated a front wheel from riders who can't pay up on the spot. I've also been stopped for riding two abreast by the police, but they didn't complain about no helmet at the time. Riding two abreast is not illegal in Spain and even some of the road signs show two cyclists riding side by side. The only advice I can give is not to argue with the Spanish police, particularly the Guardia Civil who are the ones who deal with traffic. And don't you dare make any jokes about Franco to them... (Note to moderators. This post is about the Spanish police. Any mention of cycle helmets is ancillary to the main discussion about touring in Spain.)
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

richardfm wrote:We were in Mallorca a couple of weeks ago and very few people were wearing helmets

Really? I am usually a lone non-helmet wearer..... apart from 'locals' etc who don't seem to take any notice.

Very complex rules, technically it is legal requirement to wear one unless; in town, when climbing, or it is very hot.......
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

eileithyia wrote:
richardfm wrote:We were in Mallorca a couple of weeks ago and very few people were wearing helmets

Really? I am usually a lone non-helmet wearer..... apart from 'locals' etc who don't seem to take any notice.

Very complex rules, technically it is legal requirement to wear one unless; in town, when climbing, or it is very hot.......

That's my experience, too.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

LinusR wrote:
eileithyia wrote:

That's my experience, too.

My cycling was around Calla Millor on the east coast. So most of the cyclists I saw were tourists on hire bikes, not serious cyclists up in the mountains. That may account for it.
Richard M
Cardiff
randonneur

Post by randonneur »

Cycled across Spain early this year-end was stopped twice by Traffic Police for not wearing a helmet, both times were in the Picos Europa area, in rural areas. Told it was the law to wear a helmet, but after pleading ignorance I was allowed to go on my way.
Whilst I was aware of the law, having cycled many thousand miles in Spain over the last few years, it was quite a surprise to be stopped and guess will take a helmet next year.
further

Post by further »

Thank you all,don't think I will bother wearing one,I have never worn one in the UK
oldun

Post by oldun »

I have ridden many many miles in Spain but always with a helmet . I believe it is the law in non urban areas except when riding up hill :shock: or when the weather is hot :D .
I wear one, as i wonder what position my travel insurance company would take if i had an accident and sustained a head injury whilst not wearing a legally required helmet ? Just saying .
further

Post by further »

I must admit i hadn't thought about the insurance thing Mmmmm
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

The helmet would make the same amount of difference as it does in a country where they *aren't* required. So there are very few situations where the insurer could wriggle out of paying much of your claim.
Your choice though - your head!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Been to Spain loadsa times.
Plenty cyclists, Ecyclists, Escooterists ......... lots.
Never seen a helmet unless they were roadies, but not all of them though.
Mick F. Cornwall
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

A roadie friend of mine was given an on the spot fine for not wearing a helmet in Spain a year or two ago. IIRC it was a €50 fine.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Never had an experience with the law for not wearing a helmet anywhere in Spain. Most tourists on hire bikes will not wear a helmet, you'd have to catch a Guarda Civil in a very bad mood to get told off I think.

Locking your bike up a different matter though. I locked my road bike up outside our hotel when the garage was full, next to a shop. Next morning, a note attached to the shop door. 'Your bike confiscate'. Actually the local police were very nice about it, just showed ID and described my bike and off Scott free on my way, no fine. But be careful where you park up! Same goes for wild camping, get yourself completely out of sight of the road or houses and you'll be fine. Otherwise the Guarda will hunt you!