helmets from Why wear black?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
BlueRider

Re: helmets from Why wear black?

Post by BlueRider »

So thats a big, fat, "no answer!" from the two of you on the simple question i asked?

Hmm
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mattheus wrote:
Mike: where does your quote - the "no benefit" one - come from?
(I suspect I've read it before, but I'm not sure!)

It is from Spiegelhalter's and Goldacre's BMJ editorial.

Goldacre links to it in this post in his Bad Science blog.

https://www.badscience.net/2013/12/bicycle-helmets-and-the-law-a-perfect-teaching-case-for-epidemiology/
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

BlueRider wrote:So thats a big, fat, "no answer!" from the two of you on the simple question i asked?

Hmm

I give you a view that I would apply to many many "simple questions" on the internet:

I really don't feel any obligation to answer questions from anyone. Is this a court of law? Are you my mum??

Now try this one:
Have you stopped beating your wife?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

BlueRider wrote:So thats a big, fat, "no answer!" from the two of you on the simple question i asked?

Hmm

In over sixty years of cycling I have only banged my head that once, and that was trivial.
I don't feel the need to wear a helmet which is not shown to work.
A similar conclusion has been reached by Henry Marsh, a neurosurgeon who cycles around London in a cowboy hat and has come to the conclusion cycle helmets are too flimsy to bother with.

A leading neurosurgeon has been accused of putting lives at risk after he controversially claimed that cyclists who wear helmets are wasting their time.
Henry Marsh, an eminent doctor and keen cyclist himself, reportedly said helmets were "too flimsy" to offer much protection.

Speaking at the Hay Festival, Mr Marsh, a consultant at St George's Hospital in Tooting, south London, said: "I ride a bike and I never wear a helmet. In the countries where bike helmets are compulsory there has been no reduction in bike injuries whatsoever.
"I see lots of people in bike accidents and these flimsy little helmets don't help."
He added: "I have been cycling for 40 years and have only been knocked off once. I wear a cowboy hat and cowboy boots. I look completely mad."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/neurosurgeon-says-bike-helmets-waste-3630012

P.S.
I strongly recommend his books.
His widely acclaimed memoir Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery was published in 2014.According to The Economist, this memoir is "so elegantly written it is little wonder some say that in Mr Marsh neurosurgery has found its Boswell." A further memoir Admissions: A life in brain surgery was published in 2017.
BlueRider

Post by BlueRider »

Mike Sales wrote:

Hmm

In over sixty years of cycling I have only banged my head that once, and that was trivial.
I don't feel the need to wear a helmet which is not shown to work.
A similar conclusion has been reached by Henry Marsh, a neurosurgeon who cycles around London in a cowboy hat and has come to the conclusion cycle helmets are too flimsy to bother with.

A leading neurosurgeon has been accused of putting lives at risk after he controversially claimed that cyclists who wear helmets are wasting their time.
Henry Marsh, an eminent doctor and keen cyclist himself, reportedly said helmets were "too flimsy" to offer much protection.

Speaking at the Hay Festival, Mr Marsh, a consultant at St George's Hospital in Tooting, south London, said: "I ride a bike and I never wear a helmet. In the countries where bike helmets are compulsory there has been no reduction in bike injuries whatsoever.
"I see lots of people in bike accidents and these flimsy little helmets don't help."
He added: "I have been cycling for 40 years and have only been knocked off once. I wear a cowboy hat and cowboy boots. I look completely mad."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/neurosurgeon-says-bike-helmets-waste-3630012

P.S.
I strongly recommend his books.
His widely acclaimed memoir Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery was published in 2014.According to The Economist, this memoir is "so elegantly written it is little wonder some say that in Mr Marsh neurosurgery has found its Boswell." A further memoir Admissions: A life in brain surgery was published in 2017.

Which is still not an answer to my simple question
BlueRider

Post by BlueRider »

mattheus wrote:

Hmm

I give you a view that I would apply to many many "simple questions" on the internet:

I really don't feel any obligation to answer questions from anyone. Is this a court of law? Are you my mum??

Now try this one:
Have you stopped beating your wife?

You won't answer the question either.

I am shocked, lol.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

BlueRider wrote:

You have missed your vocation as an interrogator.

I think I made it clear that I think that banging my head is extremely unlikely, and if it were to happen I believe that a helmet does not give a worthwhile amount of protection.

May I demand a answer? If you were to be struck by lightning, would you rather be carrying a lightning conductor, or not?

You seem to think your silly question tells us something worthwhile.
BlueRider

Post by BlueRider »

Mike Sales wrote:
BlueRider wrote:

I think I made it clear that I think that banging my head is extremely unlikely, and if it were to happen I believe that a helmet does not give a worthwhile amount of protection.

May I demand a answer? If you were to be struck by lightning, would you rather be carrying a lightning conductor, or not?

Still not answering the simple question in a simple and striaght forward manner huh?

Ok,

Scenario: You are falling off your bike. You know not the speed, or circumstance, but you will be sustaining a impact to the head. You have the following options at this point:

A) Wearing a helmet
B) Not wearing a helmet.

Which option would you choose?
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

BlueRider wrote:... I have posted the Guardian report which does actually focus on the effects of helmets on head injuries, rather than the secondary/tertiary effects...

Should bike helmets be compulsory? Lessons from Seattle and Amsterdam
The big bike helmet debate: 'You don’t make it safe by forcing cyclists to dress for urban warfare'
Mandatory bike helmet laws do more harm than good, Senate hears
Why forcing cyclists to wear helmets will not save lives – video explainer
The Guardian view on cycle helmets: head cases make bad law
There's no ethical case for mandatory cycle helmets
Do helmets save lives?

I'm wondering whether a weight of evidence might emerge from all of this, rather than us having to rely on an individual study?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

BlueRider wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
BlueRider wrote:

Still not answering the simple question in a simple and striaght forward manner huh?

Ok,

Scenario: You are falling off your bike. You know not the speed, or circumstance, but you will be sustaining a impact to the head. You have the following options at this point:

A) Wearing a helmet
B) Not wearing a helmet.

When you have got your teeth into the wrong end of the stick you don't like to let go, do you.

Your hypothetical scenario is impossible.
There are many other ways to get hurt in our lives. Some we judge as not worth guarding against, especially with an unproven guard.
I make my decisions about these risks at leisure, by reading the science.
Basta.
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

BlueRider wrote:... would choose to have a helmet on or not during an actual head injury incident ...

I am confident that hitting my head is unlikely given my instincts to protect my head with my limbs during a crash.
BlueRider

Post by BlueRider »

Wanlock Dod wrote:
BlueRider wrote:... I have posted the Guardian report which does actually focus on the effects of helmets on head injuries, rather than the secondary/tertiary effects...

Should bike helmets be compulsory? Lessons from Seattle and Amsterdam
The big bike helmet debate: 'You don’t make it safe by forcing cyclists to dress for urban warfare'
Mandatory bike helmet laws do more harm than good, Senate hears
Why forcing cyclists to wear helmets will not save lives – video explainer
The Guardian view on cycle helmets: head cases make bad law
There's no ethical case for mandatory cycle helmets
Do helmets save lives?

I'm wondering whether a weight of evidence might emerge from all of this, rather than us having to rely on an individual study?

The argument here is that helmets don't help you in an accident, not do helmets help statistics or secondary/tertiary safety issues.
BlueRider

Post by BlueRider »

Mike Sales wrote:
BlueRider wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

Ok,

A) Wearing a helmet
B) Not wearing a helmet.

When you have got your teeth into the wrong end of the stick you don't like to let go, do you.

Your hypothetical scenario is impossible.
There are many other ways to get hurt in our lives. Some we judge as not worth guarding against, especially with an unproven guard.
I make my decisions about these risks at leisure, by reading the science.
Basta.

"I am not answering you" would have been easier for you to write (and more accurate)
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

BlueRider wrote:"I am not answering you" would have been easier for you to write (and more accurate)

No answers about lightning conductors then?
BlueRider

Post by BlueRider »

Mike Sales wrote:
BlueRider wrote:"I am not answering you" would have been easier for you to write (and more accurate)

No answers about lightning conductors then?

Easy answer tbh.

If you are going to get struck by lightning, hold the rod. The current will take the easiest path to earth via the rod. (Not that it would be any less dangerous for you mind but every little helps).