Wear a long wig?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Wear a long wig?

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Mick F wrote:Scythed chariot wheels?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scythed_chariot

Simms "Scout" quadricycle

Update the 1.5 hp petrol motor with an electric hub and a lighter more modern weapon...

.. Sorted
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mikeymo wrote:.....
4. I asked whether anybody had actually tried it. In order to increase their safety?

Things I didn't mention were "G&S" (though Iolanthe is my own favourite), whether Oscar Peterson was the world's best jazz pianist, if black or green olives are best, or who will win the FA cup this year.

It looks like nobody's tried 4. I think we need some studies on wig wearing, and many more data.

If somebody were to "try it" they experience would be totally anecdotal as perceived passing distance can be influenced my many factors e.g. if you are focusing on it cars can be perceived as passing closer or if cars are moving faster then your perception on distance can be influenced by perceived danger.

For anything to be useful you need a common system of measurement, objective not subjective.

Then maybe ask the question "How many male forum users happen to have a long blond wig in their cupboards?"

Ian
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Ian Walker of Bath Uni (himself an awesomely strong distance rider) almost ten years ago.

Hang on a sec ... is this the same Ian Walker that recently broke the europe N-S record? (after doing a few ultra-races, to get the hang of things. I think he was a marathon-runner/triathlete? for most of his life before that.)

Like everyone else, I'd read the wig study years ago ... but Walker's a pretty common name so I didn't make any connection ...
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Same guy.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Same guy.

Oh wow. I went to his talk at Bristol in Nov, would have been great to ask about the wig!

He did briefly mention his work, but I don't think he's still at Bath.

Really smart guy, as well as nice.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Psamathe wrote:Then maybe ask the question "How many male forum users happen to have a long blond wig in their cupboards?"

Well actually.....