Yet another helmet thread (split from 4 year old...)

This sub-forum all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmets will be moved here, if not placed here correctly in the first place.
Tiberius

Re: Yet another helmet thread (split from 4 year old...)

Postby Tiberius » 14 Feb 2020, 4:01pm

A couple of days ago I was really glad that I was wearing a helmet and I'm sure that the outcome would have been worse if I hadn't been wearing one.

A windy day and I'm cycling along a local tree lined country road. A decent size branch snapped off a tree and hit me fully on the bonce. The impact was hard and loud, a full on proper smack and I JUST managed to keep control of the bike. Cheers helmet 1.

THEN....I'm riding home on a fairly narrow two way road. I see a gritter lorry coming towards me which was (understandably) spewing grit all over the place. I got my head down just in time to hear my helmet get peppered by the grit. Cheers helmet 2.

I realise that these incidents are not really what this thread is about but I'm going to keep on wearing a helmet. End of.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 14 Feb 2020, 4:09pm

Tiberius wrote:A couple of days ago I was really glad that I was wearing a helmet and I'm sure that the outcome would have been worse if I hadn't been wearing one.

A windy day and I'm cycling along a local tree lined country road. A decent size branch snapped off a tree and hit me fully on the bonce. The impact was hard and loud, a full on proper smack and I JUST managed to keep control of the bike. Cheers helmet 1.

THEN....I'm riding home on a fairly narrow two way road. I see a gritter lorry coming towards me which was (understandably) spewing grit all over the place. I got my head down just in time to hear my helmet get peppered by the grit. Cheers helmet 2.

I realise that these incidents are not really what this thread is about but I'm going to keep on wearing a helmet. End of.

I'm afraid that this is just demanding the question: couldn't these incidents happen to a pedestrian just as easily? Do you wear a helmet when on foot?
Incidentally, why do you feel the need to write "end of"?

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 14 Feb 2020, 4:14pm

Tiberius wrote:A couple of days ago I was really glad that I was wearing a helmet and I'm sure that the outcome would have been worse if I hadn't been wearing one.

Had you been walking ............................

Would you have wanted a helmet?
Mick F. Cornwall

mjr

Postby mjr » 14 Feb 2020, 4:41pm

Tiberius wrote:A windy day and I'm cycling along a local tree lined country road. A decent size branch snapped off a tree and hit me fully on the bonce. The impact was hard and loud, a full on proper smack and I JUST managed to keep control of the bike. Cheers helmet 1.

It might have missed you entirely if you'd been wearing a less outsize hat.

Tiberius wrote:THEN....I'm riding home on a fairly narrow two way road. I see a gritter lorry coming towards me which was (understandably) spewing grit all over the place. I got my head down just in time to hear my helmet get peppered by the grit. Cheers helmet 2.

Meh. Getting gritted is a fairly frequent thing when cycling in icy Norfolk but grit bounces off even the thin hood of my raincoat. Almost any covering suffices. I don't need thick plastic for that. The important thing is seeing the gritter lorry and reacting in time, such as putting your hood up if you don't have a hat on (but why wouldn't you when it's near zero?)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.