Re: Four year old killed by bike helmet.

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Tiberius

Re: Yet another helmet thread (split from 4 year old...)

Post by Tiberius »

A couple of days ago I was really glad that I was wearing a helmet and I'm sure that the outcome would have been worse if I hadn't been wearing one.

A windy day and I'm cycling along a local tree lined country road. A decent size branch snapped off a tree and hit me fully on the bonce. The impact was hard and loud, a full on proper smack and I JUST managed to keep control of the bike. Cheers helmet 1.

THEN....I'm riding home on a fairly narrow two way road. I see a gritter lorry coming towards me which was (understandably) spewing grit all over the place. I got my head down just in time to hear my helmet get peppered by the grit. Cheers helmet 2.

I realise that these incidents are not really what this thread is about but I'm going to keep on wearing a helmet. End of.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Tiberius wrote:A couple of days ago I was really glad that I was wearing a helmet and I'm sure that the outcome would have been worse if I hadn't been wearing one.

A windy day and I'm cycling along a local tree lined country road. A decent size branch snapped off a tree and hit me fully on the bonce. The impact was hard and loud, a full on proper smack and I JUST managed to keep control of the bike. Cheers helmet 1.

THEN....I'm riding home on a fairly narrow two way road. I see a gritter lorry coming towards me which was (understandably) spewing grit all over the place. I got my head down just in time to hear my helmet get peppered by the grit. Cheers helmet 2.

I realise that these incidents are not really what this thread is about but I'm going to keep on wearing a helmet. End of.

I'm afraid that this is just demanding the question: couldn't these incidents happen to a pedestrian just as easily? Do you wear a helmet when on foot?
Incidentally, why do you feel the need to write "end of"?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Tiberius wrote:A couple of days ago I was really glad that I was wearing a helmet and I'm sure that the outcome would have been worse if I hadn't been wearing one.

Had you been walking ............................

Would you have wanted a helmet?
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tiberius wrote:A windy day and I'm cycling along a local tree lined country road. A decent size branch snapped off a tree and hit me fully on the bonce. The impact was hard and loud, a full on proper smack and I JUST managed to keep control of the bike. Cheers helmet 1.

It might have missed you entirely if you'd been wearing a less outsize hat.

Tiberius wrote:THEN....I'm riding home on a fairly narrow two way road. I see a gritter lorry coming towards me which was (understandably) spewing grit all over the place. I got my head down just in time to hear my helmet get peppered by the grit. Cheers helmet 2.

Meh. Getting gritted is a fairly frequent thing when cycling in icy Norfolk but grit bounces off even the thin hood of my raincoat. Almost any covering suffices. I don't need thick plastic for that. The important thing is seeing the gritter lorry and reacting in time, such as putting your hood up if you don't have a hat on (but why wouldn't you when it's near zero?)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.