Re: Recycling helmets (helmets sub-forum)

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

mjr wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:Unless it was test dropped on a curved anvil shaped object as you do in real life :mrgreen:, from a specified height with a lens attached we'll never really know the protective values of said filter :lol:

Only the Snell lens-smashing test still uses a curved anvil. EuroNorm only requires flat and straight-edge ;)

And if its a Japanese lens? :mrgreen:
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Hi. I landed on this having searched the Forum for advice re what to do with my old helmet I have just replaced with a new one. The title at least seemed promising? Unfortunately the thread seems to head off into the usual quagmire of whether helmets are a good idea and testing regimes and I am not much the wiser.
Can anyone simply advise if it's possible to put helmets into recycling, or whether it needs to go into the general waste? Alternatively I think I read somewhere that emergency services might gladly receive them for training purposes - re cutting helmets off accident victims? I don't know how correct or widespread that is?
Suggestions for the final fate of my Specialized helmet appreciated. Happy cycling.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Well almost all are just made from expanded polystyrene and while it is a very recyclable substance in theory, few to no councils collect it in the recycling. Does vary and some take more things at the tip than they collect so check your council's website.

The hard outer shell can usually be separated and go in regular plastic recycling, as can any plastic fittings.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Thanks for that Steve.
David
mjr

Post by mjr »

This is only the quagmire bits of the recycling discussion cut out and moved into the helmets forum. The original discussion was viewtopic.php?f=1&t=134758
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Though I'm all for the freedom of use them, because we should all have the right to leave home and be back in one piece and not injured because of someone else's fault, thus not having manfatory protection devices; to advocate for not using protections at all, whatever the circumstances are, is plain silly. I.e., proper mountain bike riding (not a flat bridleway!) without a helmet is just stupid.
I was hoping to read about recycling of helmets not a load of bickering about wearing them. I'd love it if someone could stay on topic. :x
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

Recycling helmets is all a bit "old hat"......

Instead, they should apparently be "upcycled" - re-used as e.g. hanging baskets, storage bowls or lamps: https://discerningcyclist.com/recycle-bicycle-helmet/
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

backnotes wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 6:38pm Recycling helmets is all a bit "old hat"......
ISWYDT

: - )

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

backnotes wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 6:38pm Recycling helmets is all a bit "old hat"......

Instead, they should apparently be "upcycled" - re-used as e.g. hanging baskets, storage bowls or lamps: https://discerningcyclist.com/recycle-bicycle-helmet/
Would you really put another one of those awful-looking things in/around your home per person per 3-5 years? The hanging-basket idea has the problem of leaving the polystyrene exposed to UV which will break it down and release plastics into the environment, while I wonder whether you could ever get a helmet with years of hairy sweat clean enough for the storage bowl idea.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

From a thread a few years ago.
This was mine.
Helmet.jpg
Helmet.jpg (61.78 KiB) Viewed 3198 times
Mick F. Cornwall