Louis Theroux earns the scorn of the Sun

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
brooksby

Louis Theroux earns the scorn of the Sun

Post by brooksby »

Well, Louis Therous has earned the ire of the Sun's sleb journalists, by admitting that he doesn't wear a helmet when cycling and has occasionally cycled whilst under the influence of cycling.

I admire his nerve for admitting it, irrespective of whether or not I entirely agree with him (yes on helmets, no on drinking-and-riding).

THEROOPS! Louis Theroux confesses he regularly cycles drunk without wearing a helmet

LOUIS THEROUX is one of the wisest blokes on the box – but his latest confession is not the brightest thing he’s ever said.

The documentary maker has admitted he refuses to wear a helmet while cycling on main roads in London, where he lives.

When asked if he wears a helmet, Louis said: “No, I don’t. A lot of people, especially friends and my wife too, they’re not happy about that.

“I wish I had a really good reason.

“The only good reason I can give you is I have been cycling my whole life.

“When I was 11, I used to cycle from Wandsworth all the way along the Upper Richmond Road to school in East Sheen, which is about four miles each way.

“I do have lights. I do wear a fluorescent jacket.

“I’m not a danger freak. I’m not trying to get knocked over.

“It’s much more that I try and make my life as simple as possible, and a helmet just seems like one more complicating factor.

“You have to drag it around. I love bikes and I love cycling around. It makes you feel good about connecting with your body, you listen to a podcast.”

And in a move that is sure to infuriate road-safety campaigners, Louis admitted he is no stranger to drinking while on two wheels.

He added: “I have done it. I don’t recommend doing it. It’s a good feeling. You feel very free.”

Trust me, Louis. You wouldn’t feel free if you ended up in a cast.

Do not drink and ride, everyone.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/10990613/louis-theroux-cycle-drunk-without-helmet/
Oldjohnw

Re: Louis Theroux earns the scorn of the Sun

Post by Oldjohnw »

The Sun, being The Sun, would argue the other way next week if the story suited them.
John
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

brooksby wrote:Well, Louis Therous has earned the ire of the Sun's sleb journalists

Say no more. That is enough information to impress me already, even if I didn't already know of Mr Theroux :)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Is he related to the more famous Paul T?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Is he related to the more famous Paul T?

Son of. More famous? Depends whether you are a reader or a TV viewer. Brother of Marcel.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
horizon

Post by horizon »

I took Old Patagonian Express with me on my last trip. It's a bit passe now (rich white man travelling through poor Central American villages) but still brilliant.

Now back to the Sun. It's nice to think they care about the consequences of the actions of most of their readers, even if wearing a helmet is the wrong conclusion.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
PH

Post by PH »

brooksby wrote: cycled whilst under the influence of cycling.

Is there any other way?
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

PH wrote:
brooksby wrote: cycled whilst under the influence of cycling.

Is there any other way?

Yeah, stupid typo I've just noticed.

Should be "cycled whilst under the influence of alcohol".
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Well, he’s just gone up in my opinion! :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity