Minimalist helmet?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Phileas

Minimalist helmet?

Post by Phileas »

I was pulled to one side by the site security guard this morning and told to get off my bike and walk because I wasn’t wearing a helmet. I scoffed and cycled off as he shouted after me.

I missed the email and didn’t go to work yesterday so I was unaware of the new policy introduced by the site owners – Airbus:

“Airbus have informed us that in the interest of the safety of all people on site, from Monday March 9th, 2020, all cyclists who wish to access and cycle on Filton site must be wearing reflective vests or jackets and safety helmets. If they are not, they will not be allowed to cycle on site.

For clarity employees will be allowed access to the site however will be unable to ride a bike once on site if they do not wear a reflective vest or jacket and a Helmet.

It is the responsibility of the cyclist wishing to enter the site to equip themselves with this essential safety equipment along with white front lights and red rear lights for cycling in the dark if required.”

I guess I have no choice but I’m wondering what constitutes the barest compliance with the rules, e.g. what is the most rudimentary headwear that could reasonably be called a cycle helmet?
Last edited by Phileas on 11 Mar 2020, 5:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Minimalist helmet?

Post by Mick F »

Do they stipulate where the helmet should be worn?

Arm?
Knee?

Do they supply the reflective vests and the "safety" helmets?
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:Do they stipulate where the helmet should be worn?

Arm?
Knee?

Do they supply the reflective vests and the "safety" helmets?

Good ones. They also specify no standards for either garment except "reflective".

I would also challenge for any evidence that there is a cycling safety problem on the site (not merely "OMG I saw a cyclist with no hat" wibble) and that h&h will mitigate against it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

They did offer to supply vests but they seem strangely unaware of the difference between hi-vis and reflective, given that they consider these "essential" safety equipment.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I would also ask WHY? Are cyclist being asked to protect themselves from drivers who don't look, or is it so pedestrians can see them easily and dive out of their way :lol: maybe it's to protect from falling aircraft!
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Phileas wrote:I was pulled to one side by the site security guard this morning and told to get off my bike and walk because I wasn’t wearing a helmet. I scoffed and cycled off as he shouted after me.

I missed the email and didn’t go to work yesterday so I was unaware of the new policy introduced by the site owners – Airbus:

“Airbus have informed us that in the interest of the safety of all people on site, from Monday March 9th, 2020, all cyclists who wish to access and cycle on Filton site must be wearing reflective vests or jackets and safety helmets. If they are not, they will not be allowed to cycle on site.

For clarity employees will be allowed access to the site however will be unable to ride a bike once on site if they do not wear a reflective vest or jacket and a Helmet.

It is the responsibility of the cyclist wishing to enter the site to equip themselves with this essential safety equipment along with white front lights and red rear lights for cycling in the dark if required.”

I guess I have no choice but I’m wondering what constitutes the barest compliance with the rules, e.g. what is the most rudimentary headwear that could reasonably be called a cycle helmet?

If you are in the union Seek advice, alternatively as it is Airbus do you have a Bicycle User Group (BUG)

However unless they are restricted areas and stipulations such as helmets and high vis are required for all. I think you have a case, but unless you are particularly brave I would let the union fight the case. We had similar edict, where they wanted Cyclists to dismount and walk through the pedestrian gate, It took myself and the union rep about 2 minutes to get the idea revoked and then get to real nub of the problem, Someone in a car had nearly run over the security guard in a car.
NUKe

Post by thatsnotmyname »

Phileas wrote:I guess I have no choice but I’m wondering what constitutes the barest compliance with the rules, e.g. what is the most rudimentary headwear that could reasonably be called a cycle helmet?

'Bob the Builder' hard hat and hi-viz from your local fancy dress shop should would be my suggestion. And if or when you are stopped at the gate and told that your headgear is not suitable, simply ask to see the guidelines which stipulate what constitutes an appropriate cycle helmet.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I imagine that since wearing a helmet is not a legal requirement your employer would have difficulty in enforcing.
John
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

Oldjohnw wrote:I imagine that since wearing a helmet is not a legal requirement your employer would have difficulty in enforcing.

I'm assuming the site is private property, so they can introduce whatever rules they like..
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Phileas wrote:
It is the responsibility of the cyclist wishing to enter the site to equip themselves with this essential safety equipment

Provision of PPE is the employers responsibility.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

It is worth noting that the HSE make a particular exception of cycle helmets as PPE when riding on roads. Have a read of https://www.cyclehelmets.org/1061.html
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

this was brought in at the Harwell (AEA) site a few years ago. Luckily I didn't work there long!

I asked the local BUG about it; they didn't have a problem with it as they all wore helmets anyway. Just brilliant - classic blinkered helmet evangelists.

Good luck fighting this; you will need it.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Phileas wrote:I missed the email and didn’t go to work yesterday so I was unaware of the new policy introduced by the site owners – Airbus:

This is odd. Does every single site employee have email? The cleaners, the chap who drives the fuel bowser? If not, then they must surely have had a campaign with notices informing people of the change in rules and giving them adequate notice so that they could get themselves equipped. Have you asked HR/personnel/the people organisation (or whatever fancy name they go by these days) where this requirement has come from, or perhaps site health and safety (who are not likely to be interested since they are there to protect the interests of the company and therefore their own job -- cynic - what me?).

I suppose one could stop just at the entrance and make a meal of finding these items that are stowed in you bag. A problem is that it will be gate security people given the task of enforcing this, for which they deserve some sympathy.

Minimalist must surely be a leather sausage helmet as used on the track until plastic hats were introduced.
millimole

Post by millimole »

mattheus wrote:this was brought in at the Harwell (AEA) site a few years ago. Luckily I didn't work there long!

I asked the local BUG about it; they didn't have a problem with it as they all wore helmets anyway. Just brilliant - classic blinkered helmet evangelists.

Good luck fighting this; you will need it.
Yes good luck indeed.
My -(probably out of date) experience with BUGs and the like are that they tend to be populated with the sort of riders who ride hard and fast to work and maybe do a sportive or two - with little understanding of wider cycling politics.
Unions? Certainly in my last workplace they were management puppets and more than happy to roll over at every odd edict.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

tatanab wrote:
Phileas wrote:I missed the email and didn’t go to work yesterday so I was unaware of the new policy introduced by the site owners – Airbus:

This is odd. Does every single site employee have email? The cleaners, the chap who drives the fuel bowser? If not, then they must surely have had a campaign with notices informing people of the change in rules and giving them adequate notice so that they could get themselves equipped. Have you asked HR/personnel/the people organisation (or whatever fancy name they go by these days) where this requirement has come from, or perhaps site health and safety (who are not likely to be interested since they are there to protect the interests of the company and therefore their own job -- cynic - what me?).

I suppose one could stop just at the entrance and make a meal of finding these items that are stowed in you bag. A problem is that it will be gate security people given the task of enforcing this, for which they deserve some sympathy.

Minimalist must surely be a leather sausage helmet as used on the track until plastic hats were introduced.

No, not everyone has email and I don't recall seeing any warning.

My intention is to ostentatiously put something on my head as I cycle through the gate and maybe remove it straight away.