Isle of Man NOT set to adopt compulsory cycle helmet use.

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
gaz

Isle of Man NOT set to adopt compulsory cycle helmet use.

Post by gaz »

https://cyclingindustry.news/isle-of-ma ... ng-helmet/

The Isle of Man will introduce a compulsory cycling helmet law, having passed a third reading of a new Road Traffic Legislation Bill that captures cyclists, horse riders and motorbike sidecar passengers.

Not familiar with Manx legislative procedures but it sounds like it's just the rubber stamp left to go.

Edit: NOT added to title, false alarm - https://road.cc/content/news/updated-is ... ets-274379
Last edited by gaz on 11 Jun 2020, 1:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Marcus Aurelius

Re: Isle of Man set to adopt compulsory cycle helmet use.

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Our Government missed a trick by not bringing in a compulsory helmet law, with all of the Covid-19 changes.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Well, that's another island not to visit!

What the heck were they thinking? Were they thinking? Does the island's politicians hate its public health?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
willcee

Post by willcee »

!!! interesting . this is bit off topic mind...I was covering motor industry biz in the 90's on that island... I wonder if they actually have an MOT nowadays,or what passes for one... on one of my visits I had a very interesting and informative hour with the service director on the only BMW dealership over there, part of a group who also had Porsche , Audi, and VW in the Capital, Douglas.. I was on good terms with the MD, who had been a race motor cyclist and had done the TT , he lent me a car every trip to get around the island.. anyway they had head hunted a guy to be their new service manager for the group ,designate director, a personable chap, well educated and had come through tools into management and was previously a senior BMW honcho tek and he and I had a lengthy conversation involving a legal eagle on the island who drove a 3 year old BMW 7'series in for a major service and its tyres, I was shown them, were approaching race slicks, he had appeared the previous evening to collect his vehicle, told he needed tyres, cost was close to 800 quid on top of a hefty service bill ,they had tried to get him earlier that day but he was in court and unreachable and he threw a fit and wanted his car home with him.... that didn't happen because of the legal implications for the company had they allowed an unusable illegal vehicle to be driven on the road , BUT no mot on Mann.. he wanted my thoughts on it which I gave him and backed it up with a conversation with my team in London..he stood his ground.. the situation was resolved later that week and the tyres were fitted..but the new guy had made his decision and stood on it using all his knowledge short of calling the Isle of Mann police ,whom I heard were contacted by the owner of the car.. They backed the service director...Mann does things differently.. If you die on the TT mid race you' re in a body bag and left until races are over and packed into a transit van late evening to the hospital so no one knows.. will
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

gaz wrote:https://cyclingindustry.news/isle-of-man-compulsory-cycling-helmet/

The Isle of Man will introduce a compulsory cycling helmet law, having passed a third reading of a new Road Traffic Legislation Bill that captures cyclists, horse riders and motorbike sidecar passengers.

Not familiar with Manx legislative procedures but it sounds like it's just the rubber stamp left to go.

Disgraceful :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

willcee wrote:!!! interesting . this is bit off topic mind...I was covering motor industry biz in the 90's on that island... I wonder if they actually have an MOT nowadays,or what passes for one...

They don't.

https://www.gov.im/categories/travel-traffic-and-motoring/drivers-and-vehicles/vehicle-registration-and-licensing/
"Although there is no periodic MOT test for vehicles in general, annual roadworthiness tests are required for all goods vehicles over 3500kgs, buses, minibuses, passenger cars that are to be used as public passenger vehicles (taxis or private hire cars) and hire and drive vehicles which are over 3 years old. "

Jonathan
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
They operate outside UK and EU law, no tachos required in lorries for example. Ironic that you can have the freedom to choose in your motor vehicle but not on a bike
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mjr wrote:Well, that's another island not to visit!

What the heck were they thinking? Were they thinking? Does the island's politicians hate its public health?

Let it be known... write to their Tourist Office
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

Cunobelin wrote:
mjr wrote:Well, that's another island not to visit!

Let it be known... write to their Tourist Office

There is an email address tourism@gov.im and a form on their tourism contact page to send any comments.

I've never been to the Isle of Man and have long wanted to visit, but I certainly won't now until this law is rescinded.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

I've cycled round the TT circuit on a Brompton - the climb out of Ramsey up to the mountain was a killer but what a view when you get up there.

It's a lovely place and definitely recommended but avoid the first couple of weeks in June... :shock:
gaz

Re: Isle of Man NOT set to adopt compulsory cycle helmet use.

Post by gaz »

False alarm - IoM say this legislation will NOT introduce cycle helmet compulsion. As you were all.

https://road.cc/content/news/updated-is ... ets-274379
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Tiberius wrote:I've cycled round the TT circuit on a Brompton - the climb out of Ramsey up to the mountain was a killer but what a view when you get up there.

It's a lovely place and definitely recommended but avoid the first couple of weeks in June... :shock:

I did that on a hired three speed with poor steel calipers. Getting down was also a trial.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mjr

Post by mjr »

gaz wrote:False alarm - IoM say this legislation will NOT introduce cycle helmet compulsion. As you were all.

https://road.cc/content/news/updated-is ... ets-274379

Perhaps, but it still seems to enable a future minister to make them compulsory by simply issuing regulations, rather than passing legislation. In other words, it moves the axe over cyclists' heads ready, rather than chops them off now - how much should we rejoice over that?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Seems like a misunderstanding;

I believe there may have been some misunderstanding through reporting, and the Bill before the House of Keys does not actually make the wearing of helmets compulsory.

A clarifying statement to that effect by the Minister is to be issued I understand.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:Our Government missed a trick by not bringing in a compulsory helmet law, with all of the Covid-19 changes.

Eh - what an earth do you mean? perhaps a joke?