Helmet manufacturer confirms helmets are not designed for incidents involving motorvehicles

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
The utility cyclist

Helmet manufacturer confirms helmets are not designed for incidents involving motorvehicles

Post by The utility cyclist »

As we always knew

Senior Brand Development Manager Eric Richter says there are "many misconceptions about helmets", and that when it comes to collisions with motor vehicles, it isn't possible to design a bicycle helmet specifically built to protect the user: “We do not design helmets specifically to reduce chances or severity of injury when impacts involve a car"

https://cyclingindustry.news/discussion ... -revision/
Still loads of ignorant waffle in the article mind.
Syd

Helmet manufacturer confirms helmets are useless in incidents involving motorvehicles

Post by Syd »

The utility cyclist wrote:As we always knew

Senior Brand Development Manager Eric Richter says there are "many misconceptions about helmets", and that when it comes to collisions with motor vehicles, it isn't possible to design a bicycle helmet specifically built to protect the user: “We do not design helmets specifically to reduce chances or severity of injury when impacts involve a car"

Just like the waffle in the title?

I see nothing in the article where a helmet manufacturer states they are ‘useless in event of incidents involving motor vehicles.’

A butter knife is not designed as a screwdriver but it does not a bad job in a pinch.

I do believe, given the variables in any crash, then it can vary from having some use you very little, if any, at all but to simply state useless is a bit disingenuous.
tim-b

Re: Helmet manufacturer confirms helmets are useless in incidents involving motorvehicles

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Still loads of ignorant waffle in the article mind

It's an article about revising helmet standards in the context of e-bikes and their capabilities, helmet developments such as MIPS, etc
It also contains red herrings such as CTE which occurs in people with a "history of repetitive brain trauma" (Boston University CTE Center https://concussionfoundation.org/CTE-resources/what-is-CTE) and doesn't seem to be an issue for the average cyclist

Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Lakelander

Re: Helmet manufacturer confirms helmets are useless in incidents involving motorvehicles

Post by Lakelander »

It seem LS the OP has taken liberties with the actual content and made his title reflect his thoughts rather than the message.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Syd wrote:

I see nothing in the article where a helmet manufacturer states they are ‘useless in event of incidents involving motor vehicles.’

A butter knife is not designed as a screwdriver but it does not a bad job in a pinch.

I do believe, given the variables in any crash, then it can vary from having some use you very little, if any, at all but to simply state useless is a bit disingenuous.

Really, do explain?
The waffle is the failure to acknowledge that helmets are not the solution to safe/r cycling, trying to continue to make more money from ignorant punters is the persons job, I get that, but they ignore that sports governing bodies that introduced helmets made that sport more dangerous
Cycling
Boxing
Gridiron
Ice Hockey
Cricket

We know full well that enthusiast cyclists in the modern era have far more self induced crashes and injuries amongst clubs/organised events and despite the huge increase of helmet wearing in this country, improved motorvehicle safety to those outside, more infra and no increase in cycling journeys since at least the mid 00s, cycling KSIs have gone nowhere.
Navara

Post by Navara »

The utility cyclist wrote:
Syd wrote:

Really, do explain?
The waffle is the failure to acknowledge that helmets are not the solution to safe/r cycling, trying to continue to make more money from ignorant punters is the persons job, I get that, but they ignore that sports governing bodies that introduced helmets made that sport more dangerous
Cycling
Boxing
Gridiron
Ice Hockey
Cricket
We know full well that enthusiast cyclists in the modern era have far more self induced crashes and injuries amongst clubs/organised events and despite the huge increase of helmet wearing in this country, improved motorvehicle safety to those outside, more infra and no increase in cycling journeys since at least the mid 00s, cycling KSIs have gone nowhere.

All your statements may or may not be correct depending on each individuals interpretation.What the article does not do is state what the title of your thread says.That is your interpretation of what the article states.My interpretation differs from yours.
The helmet argument is almost as unwinnable as the flats/spds or FS/HT or Carbon/Aluminum argument and therefore just as pointless.
Trying to gain points with such a misleading thread title put the your argument on the back foot from the off!
Syd

Post by Syd »

The utility cyclist wrote:
Syd wrote:

Really, do explain?
Cycling
Boxing
Gridiron
Ice Hockey
Cricket

I already have explained. You may wish to make the next sentence bold too.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Helmet manufacturer confirms helmets are not designed for incidents involving motorvehicles

Post by [XAP]Bob »

If they're having to redesign helmets for bike riders doesn't that rather imply that they don't do anywhere near the job they should for any rider capable of 15mph...

I used to average a little over that on my electrically assisted commute, but significantly more on my non electrified commute.

The concept that they should be redesigned to account for 15mph rather illustrates the point that the original design standards approximate a head falling off your shoulders from a standstill and hitting the ground in a straight line (i.e. a fall of 1.5m, which produces a 12mph vertical component*).

Good to see that they are looking at rotational accelerations, but to be honest there simply aren't enough tbis from cycling to merit the amount of attention it receives.

* Assuming a spherical cow
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Helmet manufacturer confirms helmets are not designed for incidents involving motorvehicles

Post by Mick F »

Started to read the linked article.
Then I got bored with the waffle, and scan read the rest. Wish I'd not bothered.
Mick F. Cornwall
Syd

Post by Syd »

I see the title has now been edited / changed.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I would say "don't worry, a fanatic will be along soon to claim that helmets do something beneficial in multi vehicle collisions, contrary to most research and the manufacturers' own warnings" but it seems some arrived here before me!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Syd

Post by Syd »

mjr wrote:I would say "don't worry, a fanatic will be along soon to claim that helmets do something beneficial in multi vehicle collisions, contrary to most research and the manufacturers' own warnings" but it seems some arrived here before me!

There are too many random variables to say what with happen in any collusion never mind multiple vehicle ones.

One seemingly random injury was when I ended up having a perfect chainring injury in an incident where a car hit me. Problem is it is on my left leg not my right [emoji57]

My problem was with the original title not the content of the linked article.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Syd wrote:One seemingly random injury was when I ended up having ....................
............... being hit by a buzzard.

http://www.bikeweb.org.uk/newsarchive14.htm

Scroll down to May 2005.
The buzzard attacks in North Devon again. The first reported strike is from Mick Fairhurst of Gunnislake, who was struck on the back of his helmet, near Halwill Junction on the A3079.
Mick F. Cornwall
Syd

Post by Syd »

Mick F wrote:
Syd wrote:One seemingly random injury was when I ended up having ....................
............... being hit by a buzzard.

http://www.bikeweb.org.uk/newsarchive14.htm

Scroll down to May 2005.
The buzzard attacks in North Devon again. The first reported strike is from Mick Fairhurst of Gunnislake, who was struck on the back of his helmet, near Halwill Junction on the A3079.

Thankfully not had something that random yet thought have nearly been hit by a couple of pheasants.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Donks ago, I knew an A&E consultant who simply remarked that she'd not seen a single serious injury resulting from cyclist v motor vehicle, where the helmet had made the tiniest bit of difference...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)