Do unattended helmets get stolen much?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
mikeymo

Do unattended helmets get stolen much?

Post by mikeymo »

I almost always wear a helmet when cycling.

There are some occasions when they're a nuisance. Mainly social/shopping journeys, where, once I've locked the bike, I would have my hands free, were it not for the helmet.

So I was thinking, if the weather is good, and/or the bike is under cover, I could just leave the helmet on the handlebars. Does anybody do this regularly? If so do they get nicked? I was thinking that maybe a helmet dangling from the handlebars might signal to a potential thief - "the cyclist is nearby".
Jdsk

Re: Do unattended helmets get stolen much?

Post by Jdsk »

We sometimes leave helmets locked to bikes, always with something threaded through as many holes and straps as possible, the intention being to make it obvious that it would render the helmet useless to cut through them.

But it depends on the area etc and how much hassle it would be to take them with us.

Haven't had one stolen.

Jonathan

PS: There's a recent discussion of leaving panniers locked to bikes.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I very often see them left with a loop of the lock through the strap, that's what I used to do back when I used one. I've never heard of one being taken (this going back over 30 years).

Why would anyone bother? I can't see much retail value in selling on cheap second-hand PPI, so even though you could get it away by unthreading the strap the time it would take with the risk of being caught and something it wouldn't be too easy to sell on for much money I can't see who'd bother.

And if it turns out that's wrong then it's £15 the next time Aldi or Lidl have a bike sale, so not exactly an extreme financial risk.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
sjs

Post by sjs »

pjclinch wrote:I very often see them left with a loop of the lock through the strap, that's what I used to do back when I used one. I've never heard of one being taken (this going back over 30 years).

Why would anyone bother? I can't see much retail value in selling on cheap second-hand PPI, so even though you could get it away by unthreading the strap the time it would take with the risk of being caught and something it wouldn't be too easy to sell on for much money I can't see who'd bother.

And if it turns out that's wrong then it's £15 the next time Aldi or Lidl have a bike sale, so not exactly an extreme financial risk.

Pete.

I frequently leave my helmet hooked on the bars, no lock threading, almost hoping someone will take it, but no one ever has.
further

Post by further »

I wouldn't steal one,I won't even buy one
mjr

Post by mjr »

In my experience, if locked to the bike then they don't get stolen much but they do get vandalised or used for litter including half-finished drinks (deposited open and upended) in some towns. Check it before you put it on...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

No, only once, then you get another one.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
PH

Post by PH »

I leave mine with the lock through the straps, never had one stolen or vandalised. That's anecdote rather than data, there's a chance I could have it stolen tomorrow, but there's also the chance they'd take the bike as well.
EDDROBB

Post by EDDROBB »

Those of us with hair do tend to molt a bit and these hairs do accumulate in the helmet lining between cleans with sticky tape. This hygiene issue may be the reason that helmets are seldom stolen. If they ever become compulsory the situation would no doubt change.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Just paint "I have lice" on it, it'll be fine.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

further wrote:I wouldn't steal one,I won't even buy one
That's me too now, then I saw the light! :D

However, I did wear one for some years (before I saw sense) and when I went shopping with the bike, I towed a trailer with a lockable box on it.

I would take "normal" footware with me and swap from road cycling shoes to sandals or suchlike, and put my cycling shoes ....... and the helmet ........... into the box.

Do the shopping, put it in the box having taken out my helmet and swapping shoes back again, and then ride home.
Mick F. Cornwall
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Can see nothing wrong with wearing a helmet when out shopping or mooching round.Can become a fashion accessory in right hands,even customised with stickers for a collage effect.A shallow carrier for eggs and sweetsThis obviates the need to leave unattended.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Mick F wrote:
further wrote:I wouldn't steal one,I won't even buy one
That's me too now, then I saw the light!

Lordy lord, ain't that the truth! There are so many amongst us who have been blessed by the same revelation as you, brother!! Oh yes, those who once dwelled in misery amongst the damned sinners of the helmeted, but now have found salvation as the scales have fallen from their eyes!! Let us give praise as they cast aside the trappings of their past lives and joyfully enter the kingdom of bareheaded cyclery!!
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

You sound like Donald Trump and his rejection convetion eg no mask,taking liberties with women,eschewing exercise,and using a sacred text to justify crass conduct.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

mumbojumbo wrote:You sound like Donald Trump and his rejection convetion eg no mask,taking liberties with women,eschewing exercise,and using a sacred text to justify crass conduct.

Thanks for the compliment. I was going for a tone of quasi-religious evangelising zeal and proselytising fervour. Glad you picked up on that.
Last edited by mikeymo on 11 Oct 2020, 4:50pm, edited 1 time in total.