Two separate threads?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
pjclinch

Re: Two separate threads?

Post by pjclinch »

Mick F wrote:Seems simple to me.

To borrow a catch-phrase of Dr. Ben Goldacre, "I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that"...
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote:Back to my OP and others of mine.

Discipline.
Stay on your side of the house.

Pointless, I feel.
I've been out-voted on this idea. :cry:

But what of those who don't fit into either of the convenient boxes you create?

I'm strongly anti-compulsion, anti-promotion, but pro-choice (though as with many things I feel that choice should be conscious on the part of the decision maker).

The efficacy of cycle grade helmets is approximately zero, but if through risk compensation they get more people cycling that's a good thing - if, however, their use suggests that cycling is in some way dangerous and reduces the number of people cycling then that's a bad thing.
The balance there is very very difficult.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

When I saw the title I thought you meant having a separate thread for face coverings!

Wrong again!

However separate threads for discussion about helmets, and compulsory wearing of helmets, and a separate one for statistics/research findings etc. might be more to the point. I'm for helmets, but against compulsion, and wear one based on my own (often hard) experiences and close shaves over the years on two wheels(with/withpout motors), but get fed up of finding that people who ask about purchasing advice, for example, have the replies swamped by the anti-wearing, anti-compulsion contributors so separating the the three might at least allow people to find the answers to theier queries in all the other stuff.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

recumbentpanda wrote:I think the idea of to separate threads is great -just not separating the discussion into two partisan echo chambers. Instead, I propose: one thread, for the discussion of the efficacy and desirability of helmets, as per the present discussion, and another for those wishing to wear helmets and who wish to discuss the pros and cons of different models, design features etc etc, free from partisan objections from either side.

+1
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Mick F wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:
Mick F wrote: ... Two separate presentations setting out your store.
The readers can then make their own minds up.

As I posted. It's been done to death. It just needs somebody with time on their hands to volunteer to sort it into two neat piles. When that's done, if anybody notices something missing, they can make a neat addition to the appropriate heap.
TC, you are correct of course, but that's not what I'm getting at.

In order to sort the stuff out, it needs someone to read it all. It perhaps needs a Mod to weed out the two (or more) sides of the argument(s). Impossible task methinks.

I'll try again to put my idea forwards.

I'm suggesting ................

The people who like helmets and want to tell people why they like them and why they wear them, can post on one thread.

The other side of the house, can post on another thread about why they don't like them and why they don't wear them and why they want to tell people about it.

Seems simple to me.

It is, and start with a clean sheet i.e. delete the original thread which is full of repetition anyway, often long winded at that and by now much of it outdated by newer research.!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rmurphy195 wrote:... but get fed up of finding that people who ask about purchasing advice, for example, have the replies swamped by the anti-wearing, anti-compulsion contributors so separating the the three might at least allow people to find the answers to theier queries in all the other stuff.

Agreed.
My proposal to address this posted above:
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=140623#p1524920

Jonathan
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Mick F wrote:Very important!!! Be disciplined about this, and only the pro can post on the pro, and only the anti can post on the anti.

I love the optimism of this. Good luck!!
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Actually, we need three.

One for "anti" helmet people

One for "pro" helmet people

And one for people who have just realised how many hours of their life they've wasted reading fruitless helmet discussions. This should mainly consists of things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGF6bOi1NfA