Two separate threads?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Mick F
Spambuster

Two separate threads?

Post by Mick F »

What about the idea of two separate threads, with one pro-helmet and the other anti-helmet?

Very important!!! Be disciplined about this, and only the pro can post on the pro, and only the anti can post on the anti.

This would give two separate and distinct arguments, that anyone "sitting on the fence" about helmet use can look at both sides without getting bogged down with opposing views all mixed up and clouding the issue.

We could give two separate links to people, in the clear knowledge that they won't be embroiled in it all and will see the pros and cons of it all.

What do we think?
Good idea or not?
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Re: Two separate threads?

Post by Jdsk »

I'd do that rather differently... offer blog space for anyone who feels strongly to put their own views at as much length as they feel like. With an attached discussion. And then they can refer to that blog with a single link from other threads.

No "censorship", and many of the other threads would benefit enormously.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

An ideal project for anybody who finds they have time on their hands: the subject has been well-covered as in "done to death" and fortunately, almost all the relevant material has been conveniently dumped in one place. It all just needs assembling in two coherent "for" and against "arguments" using neutral language and then presenting for general perusal.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Several different versions could be provided, in particular a short summary that one could read in five minutes or less
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Navara

Post by Navara »

No need.
Wear one if you want to.
Don't wear one if you don't.

Not much else to say on the matter is there?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Navara wrote:Not much else to say on the matter is there?
From your lips to God's ears! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Navara wrote:No need.
Wear one if you want to.
Don't wear one if you don't.

Not much else to say on the matter is there?

Except that that is the situation in this country at the moment.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Mick F wrote:What about the idea of two separate threads, with one pro-helmet and the other anti-helmet?

Where would that leave me, do you think?

Part of the problem with "the helmet debate" is misconstruing the reality that it isn't a simple black and white issue. More the case that the "debate" itself is the problem, suggesting that the things themselves are significant issues in cyclist safety.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I fear somebody has taken the bait.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

thirdcrank wrote:I fear somebody has taken the bait.

Guilty as charged
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My idea was that anyone sitting on the fence wouldn't be able to post on either thread.
Just a pro thread and an anti thread.

For the record, I'm anti though have worn one for a few years just out of habit. Definitely anti now.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

N+1!
Then we need a separate thread for 'don't knows', if there are any :wink:
I am a don't know on plenty of questions, glad to admit my ignorance
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Mick F wrote:My idea was that anyone sitting on the fence wouldn't be able to post on either thread.
Just a pro thread and an anti thread.

For the record, I'm anti though have worn one for a few years just out of habit. Definitely anti now.

This is what I was getting at in my sense-of-humour failure above. What do you actually mean by "anti"?

The Utility Cyclist, for example is clearly anti-helmet. He is, as far as I can tell, against any use of helmets by anyone. I have been informed by some denizens of the Interweb that I am an "anti-helmet zealot", but as the pic I use here and on twitter (probably my most public internet face) show me wearing... a cycle helmet, and I don't have that much trouble with anyone choosing to wear one for themselves, I don't think I rate an "anti-helmet" position. I am not "don't know", I think it's not a simple black and white issue and is all about context, nuance and individuals.

Pro and Anti suggests either everyone should wear or nobody should wear one. The actuality is a bit more complicated than that. I'm absolutely "anti" the over-promotion of helmets and laws enforcing their wearing, but that's not the same thing as "helmets".

Pete.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Cheltenham CC's facebook page has lit up with a helmet debate (I think some people on rides have suggested more should wear them). From what I've read, it has been suggested that a vote (by club members) should take place to decide on mandatory helmet wearing on club rides. Pro helmet wearing comments seem to be in the majority (with jibes, such as riders being a burden on family and the nhs after suffering from a helmetless crash).

*I'm pro choice (sometimes wearing a helmet, sometimes not).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My idea is that anti or pro is personal preference, not dictatorship.

If you are anti, you could feel that all helmets are pointless and would be happy to speak to helmet wearers and try to educate them into not being sheep and following the "fashion" without thought.

If you are pro, you could feel that all cyclists should wear a helmet because it's common sense and an easy thing to wear. They too would be happy to talk to non-helmet wearers to try to educate them and that it's not fashion, but a necessity.

Note the words, "could".

Dictatorship is an entirely different argument.
Mick F. Cornwall