Two separate threads?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
pjclinch

Re: Two separate threads?

Post by pjclinch »

Mick F wrote:My idea is that anti or pro is personal preference, not dictatorship.

If you are anti, you could feel that all helmets are pointless and would be happy to speak to helmet wearers and try to educate them into not being sheep and following the "fashion" without thought.

If you are pro, you could feel that all cyclists should wear a helmet because it's common sense and an easy thing to wear. They too would be happy to talk to non-helmet wearers to try to educate them and that it's not fashion, but a necessity.

Note the words, "could".

There are still problems here with polarisation of something that isn't actually polarised, despite people at the extreme ends seeing it as purely black and white.

To draw an analogy with how "pro" and "anti" aren't actually that helpful, aspirin are useful in some situations for preventing heart attacks, but the evidence isn't there to support everyone popping an aspirin every day (that has actually been suggested, at least for certain groups). If someone says that the evidence isn't there to support that, are they "anti aspirin"? If someone doesn't think everyone should be popping one every day for cardiac health, does that mean they shouldn't take one for e.g. a headache?
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
RH20

Post by RH20 »

Aargh gone from helmets to Aspirin. Back to the subject, should there be a pro and anti helmet thread. Why not close the issue altogether? After all, the likelihood that pro helmet wearers will change to no helmet, or anti helmet wearers will change to wearing a helmet is highly unlikely. This issue seems to have been done to death. Better perhaps to have no more on this discussion, hang on that could be censorship mmmm now what to do?
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

RH20 wrote:Aargh gone from helmets to Aspirin. Back to the subject, should there be a pro and anti helmet thread. Why not close the issue altogether? After all, the likelihood that pro helmet wearers will change to no helmet, or anti helmet wearers will change to wearing a helmet is highly unlikely.

I know quite a few folk, me included, who have gone from helmet on every trip and thinking they're s clear safety win to be encouraged, to rarely wearing them and turning against promotion of them.
So I don't see that as the case at all!

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Back to my OP.

Mick F wrote: ..............This would give two separate and distinct arguments, that anyone "sitting on the fence" about helmet use can look at both sides without getting bogged down with opposing views all mixed up and clouding the issue.

We could give two separate links to people, in the clear knowledge that they won't be embroiled in it all and will see the pros and cons of it all .................

Two separate presentations setting out your store.
The readers can then make their own minds up.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote: ... Two separate presentations setting out your store.

As I posted. It's been done to death. It just needs somebody with time on their hands to volunteer to sort it into two neat piles. When that's done, if anybody notices something missing, they can make a neat addition to the appropriate heap.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

thirdcrank wrote:

As I posted. It's been done to death. It just needs somebody with time on their hands to volunteer to sort it into two neat piles. When that's done, if anybody notices something missing, they can make a neat addition to the appropriate heap.

You're missing the third pile, the really important pile. The pile which includes "helmets are not in the top-10 of issues which affect cycling safety" (paraphrasing Chris Boardman).

The problem with the "pro/anti" dichotomy is that it suggests cycle helmets are really important. They're not, except when they become a barrier to people cycling, or participation in not-racing cycling events.

- Nigel
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote:

TC, you are correct of course, but that's not what I'm getting at.

In order to sort the stuff out, it needs someone to read it all. It perhaps needs a Mod to weed out the two (or more) sides of the argument(s). Impossible task methinks.

I'll try again to put my idea forwards.

I'm suggesting ................

The people who like helmets and want to tell people why they like them and why they wear them, can post on one thread.

The other side of the house, can post on another thread about why they don't like them and why they don't wear them and why they want to tell people about it.

Seems simple to me.
Mick F. Cornwall
Navara

Post by Navara »

Mick F wrote:
The people who like helmets and want to tell people why they like them and why they wear them, can post on one thread.

The other side of the house, can post on another thread about why they don't like them and why they don't wear them and why they want to tell people about it.

Seems simple to me.

And it is........until you get people involved :wink:
There are few topics that will always create conflict on both sides.
Helmets.
B****t
Clipless/flats
Racism/or not
Tubeless
Best to leave it be.
Last edited by Navara on 5 Sep 2020, 12:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
recumbentpanda

Post by recumbentpanda »

I think the idea of to separate threads is great -just not separating the discussion into two partisan echo chambers. Instead, I propose: one thread, for the discussion of the efficacy and desirability of helmets, as per the present discussion, and another for those wishing to wear helmets and who wish to discuss the pros and cons of different models, design features etc etc, free from partisan objections from either side.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Delete the lot. There isn't any convincing evidence either way and promote the CUK line https://www.cyclinguk.org/campaigning/views-and-briefings/cycle-helmets, which, as a helmet-wearer, I think is quite balanced
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If we apply the tiniest bit of consideration to this, the suggestion seems to involve two - possibly more - threads on which views can be expressed supporting only one "side" of a controversial subject. This is to be ordered by some form of self-discipline. I expect the reality would be that whether by accident or design, there'd be all manner of controversial posts which could not be directly challenged. The only routes for disagreement would be either by complaining to the moderators or cumbersome cross-referencing to arguments on the other thread.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I didn't get involved in the pages of angst. It sometimes descended with some into something almost like bullying - on either side.

My view remains the same: wear one if you want, don't if you don't want.
John
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

But some one will disagree with a point thus creating a 2 sided thread.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Back to my OP and others of mine.

Discipline.
Stay on your side of the house.

Pointless, I feel.
I've been out-voted on this idea. :cry:
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Your suggestion has been adopted elsewhere, there are two live seatpost threads:
1 seatpost stuck
2 seatpost loose
:wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies