Boardman says people riding bikes without helmets is “quite wonderful”

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Oldjohnw

Re: Boardman says people riding bikes without helmets is “quite wonderful”

Post by Oldjohnw »

mattsccm wrote:Pray tell. How do helmets stop cars hitting you?

Did someone say that they did?
John
RickH

Post by RickH »

Oldjohnw wrote:
mattsccm wrote:Pray tell. How do helmets stop cars hitting you?

Did someone say that they did?

Possibly the opposite. It has been suggested that there is some evidence that wearing a helmet causes at least a proportion of drivers to pass closer than when they pass riders not wearing helmets.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

mattsccm wrote:
Pray tell. How do helmets stop cars hitting you?

Simple
1.motorists may view wearers of helmets with greater respect,reasoning that reckless rider without a helmet desrves less protection
2.wearing a helmet make for a conspicuous rider
3.riders in helmets have warmer heads giving of more thermal images to drivers wearing infa-red specs
4.riders with helmets are sensible,safety conscious thereby promoting safe conduct and reducing risks
Most people I see without helmets are riding on pavements-so see your case for less hemet less impact but transfers risk to pedestrian

Would you like any more reasons,pray tell me!
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

mumbojumbo wrote:Simple
1.motorists may view wearers of helmets with greater respect,reasoning that reckless rider without a helmet desrves less protection

Yet we hear that helmet weares get closer pases because they are seen as"protected".
Matt black helmets really stand out! Any coloured head gear (or white hair) might be a bit conspicuous.
3.riders in helmets have warmer heads giving of more thermal images to drivers wearing infa-red specs
Warmer heads, boiling brains, causing heat stress.
4.riders with helmets are sensible,safety conscious thereby promoting safe conduct and reducing risks
All those people with incorrectly fitted helmets really make a contribution don't they?
Most people I see without helmets are riding on pavements-so see your case for less hemet less impact but transfers risk to pedestrian
Rhubarb!

Perhaps I've misunderstood your points and you are poking fun.
hufty

Post by hufty »

Dark coloured road helmets + dark coloured clothing: the cyclist is sufficiently worried about a head injury to wear a helmet, but is not prepared to do things that might reduce the risk of that happening in the first place eg make the highest and most visible part of their body in traffic more visible.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

hufty wrote:Dark coloured road helmets + dark coloured clothing: the cyclist is sufficiently worried about a head injury to wear a helmet, but is not prepared to do things that might reduce the risk of that happening in the first place eg make the highest and most visible part of their body in traffic more visible.

You're making a lot of assumptions there.
The rider might be wearing a helmet... because everyone else does, because their partner nags them too, because they want to look "pro", because they're off to the woods for some MTB with lots of low branches and slippy roots, because it's frosty and they might slide out, because they're going on/are training for an event that requires one whether they want it or not, because they just prefer to, etc. etc. None of those have anything to do with being visible in traffic.

The standard helmets are built to specifically points out that it is for rider-only falls where no other vehicle is involved, i.e. one where the colour of it makes no difference.

(And that's before we get to the lack of evidence that dressing in YELLOW actually makes you tangibly safer)

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

pjclinch wrote:(And that's before we get to the lack of evidence that dressing in YELLOW actually makes you tangibly safer)
Off on a ride tomorrow, and the weather is nice and warm (still) so it'll be good warm late September ride.

I may ride starkers.
I have nice tan, so I'm sort of brown-ish all over.
Will I be seen ok?
Mick F. Cornwall
Syd

Post by Syd »

Mick F wrote:
pjclinch wrote:(And that's before we get to the lack of evidence that dressing in YELLOW actually makes you tangibly safer)
Off on a ride tomorrow, and the weather is nice and warm (still) so it'll be good warm late September ride.

I may ride starkers.
Will I be seen ok?

I need this now!!

RickH

Post by RickH »

Mick F wrote:

I may ride starkers.
Will I be seen ok?

Something like this? (edited to add: only without the helmet!)

[youtube]AlGmiHKCDI4[/youtube]
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Exactly that. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

mumbojumbo wrote:
Postby mattsccm » 19 Sep 2020, 7:13am

Pray tell. How do helmets stop cars hitting you?
]

Simple

Would you like any more reasons,pray tell me!

In my experience, everything you can do to appear irresponsible makes motorists pay you more, not less respect.

If you wear normal clothes, no helmet and weave around rather than hold a line, I guarantee you'll be given a wide berth.

If, on the other hand you wear conspicuous lycra and a helmet, and hold a line close to the kerb, you'll be close passed all day long.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

in my experience, everything you can do to appear irresponsible makes motorists pay you more, not less respect.

If you wear normal clothes, no helmet and weave around rather than hold a line, I guarantee you'll be given a wide berth.

If, on the other hand you wear conspicuous lycra and a helmet, and hold a line close to the kerb, you'll be close passed all day long.

Presumably you have tried both and opted for the former.I think I have seen you at school time riding a noddy bike,hugging the pavement,pigtails flying in the wiind!