Large Helmets

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
iandusud

Re: Large Helmets

Post by iandusud »

I found this one which fits my wife
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15910463/m ... t-15910463
Unfortunately she doesn't like the look of it so it's going back. It is however proper big.
ChilledOut

Post by ChilledOut »

I tried many helmets and eventually tried the Giro Montaro..... their XL SIZE IS 61 to 65.... the large one is 59 to 63.
My measurement is 63 so I asked to try the XL. While the guy went to get one from the stockroom I tried the L size on display ( pre COVID) and it fitted perfectly.
zenitb

Mavic Crossmax works for me...

Post by zenitb »

I also have this problem although not as extreme. I regularly try out helmets in bike shops though (eg Decathlon) and of late can never find a helmet that fits. In the early '90s I had an early Giro that just fitted by leaving out the padding and after breaking that in the noughties I managed to try on a contemporary Specialized that fitted as well. Since breaking that one I managed to try a Mavic Crossmax that <<just>> fits with the adjustment at maximum. After hitting a tree with the original Crossmax I bought exactly the same lid again .. and thankfully this replacement helmet fits just as well. The Crossmax comes in three sizes (S M L) and mine is the "L" .. marked inside the helmet as 57/61cm. This is strange because in many shops the supposed XL 62cm helmets do NOT fit me. Maybe this is shape thing.. its always the fore and aft length of the helmet I have issues with, so maybe the Crossmax is has a longer oval at the expense of width ?
Mavic Crossride Helmet
Mavic Crossride Helmet
The Crossmax is a good compromise for on and off road but I am always on the lookout for alternative brands that would fit so I am keen to hear from others what they end up using ...
nez

Post by nez »

I’m another big ‘ead. 65 or 66, depends on the hat. I find a Giro xl is the closest to a fit I’ve ever had but I don’t like it clutching at my head so I don’t wear it unless it’s compulsory. I’ve also got my father’s Tilley hat (he died 20 yrs ago) and it’s WAY too big. Imagine.
bigbloke
Location: Upon my saddle! - in South Wales or wherever work takes me this week

Post by bigbloke »

Bumping an old thread, but I have now just unboxed the last of my "attic stash" of Bell king head helmets from the late 90s / 00s
for my 70cm circumference noggin.

I need to line up a new one - is there any viable option bar Hexr these days ?

Can you engage Hexr without being an iphone owner as I wont touch Idevices ?

If I have to travel to London for a fitting, even second class by train, that doubles the cost immediately !

Regards

BB
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

bigbloke wrote: 9 May 2022, 9:49amCan you engage Hexr without being an iphone owner as I wont touch Idevices ?
It looks if the app is only available for iPhones:
https://hexr.com/products/hexr
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/hexr-helmet

It will probably run on an M1 Mac.

But you don't need to be an iPhone owner: you could borrow someone else's or get them to run the app over your head for you.

Jonathan
drossall

Post by drossall »

Hexr are not currently accepting orders. Haven't for months. Not made clear on the site but, when you get it into your basket, the helmet is out of stock. If you complain, they just offer to put you on a mailing list to be notified when things change. I can't ride TTs as a result.

I think the current largest production model is the Bontrager Wavecel range.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Further update because I know this thread is of importance to those affected.

I tried a couple of Bontrager Wavecels, and they did not fit, even though advertised as 66cm, which is my measurement. That's probably because my head is longer and narrower than average - shape as well as size very much comes into this. I then happened to wander into an LBS that I don't use too much, and they had a MET Idolo in XL, which is advertised as only 64cm (and thus does not, in my book, qualify as anything more than L!) It does fit, just. That proves how much you can rely on published sizing, I suppose! It still seems to sit a bit on top of, as opposed to on, my head, but it lets me ride events with my club mates, so it's a win.

Hexr are still not, as far as I know, accepting orders. Their FAQs mention an order for a head that was, like bigbloke's, 70cm. I don't think there has ever been any production helmet for that size.
Last edited by drossall on 5 Aug 2022, 12:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/articles/view/11
15. Protective Helmets

All competitors must wear a properly affixed helmet which must be of hard/soft shell construction. Helmets should conform to a recognised Standard such as SNELL B95, ANSI Z90.4, AUS/NZS 2063:96, DIN 33-954, CPSC or EN 1078. It is the responsibility of the rider to:

(a) Select a helmet that offers protection against head injury and does not restrict the rider's vision or hearing.

(b) Ensure that the helmet is properly fitted, is undamaged and in good condition.

Footnotes:
(i) Any helmet which suffers damage (e.g. in the case of an accident or through mishandling) may no longer afford the same level of protection.
(ii) Cycling Time Trials makes no warranties or representations regarding the adequacy of any standard or the fitness for the purpose of any brand of helmet and will not accept any claims arising from the use of any particular helmet.
(iii) The current British Standard BS 6863 is primarily intended for use by young riders and is not intended to provide a complete specification for helmets for high speed or long distance riding
A 'c' section could be added -
(c) Exemptions from the requirement to wear a bicycle helmet may be granted if sufficient reasons are provided.
2. Powers of the Board

The Board shall:

(a) have the power to grant exemption from the operation of such of these Regulations and/or make such additional Regulations as it thinks fit in respect of:

(i) time trials in stage races

(ii) selection and international events

(iii) cycling festivals of not fewer than five days and similar events

(iv) course design

(b) not exercise the powers conferred herein without first obtaining the views of the appropriate District Committee(s) on the proposed exemption(s).
Some modification to the rules may be possible.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Steady rider wrote: 5 Aug 2022, 10:42am https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/articles/view/11
15. Protective Helmets

All competitors must wear a properly affixed helmet which must be of hard/soft shell construction. Helmets should conform to a recognised Standard such as SNELL B95, ANSI Z90.4, AUS/NZS 2063:96, DIN 33-954, CPSC or EN 1078. It is the responsibility of the rider to:

(a) Select a helmet that offers protection against head injury and does not restrict the rider's vision or hearing.

(b) Ensure that the helmet is properly fitted, is undamaged and in good condition.

Footnotes:
(i) Any helmet which suffers damage (e.g. in the case of an accident or through mishandling) may no longer afford the same level of protection.
(ii) Cycling Time Trials makes no warranties or representations regarding the adequacy of any standard or the fitness for the purpose of any brand of helmet and will not accept any claims arising from the use of any particular helmet.
(iii) The current British Standard BS 6863 is primarily intended for use by young riders and is not intended to provide a complete specification for helmets for high speed or long distance riding
IA 'c' section could be added -
(c) Exemptions from the requirement to wear a bicycle helmet may be granted if sufficient reasons are provided.
Regulation 2 describes the existing powers of exemption.

But this thread will probably remain of more value to more people if it sticks to the topic of helping each other to find "Large Helmets".

Jonathan
drossall

Post by drossall »

Jdsk wrote: 5 Aug 2022, 10:47amBut this thread will probably remain of more value to more people if it sticks to the topic of helping each other to find "Large Helmets".
Agreed. That was my fault for letting the difficulties get to me. I have removed the offending text from my last post, and stuck to the point.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

drossall wrote: 5 Aug 2022, 12:39pm
Jdsk wrote: 5 Aug 2022, 10:47amBut this thread will probably remain of more value to more people if it sticks to the topic of helping each other to find "Large Helmets".
Agreed. That was my fault for letting the difficulties get to me. I have removed the offending text from my last post, and stuck to the point.
That is exemplary etiquette. (It wasn't your post that triggered my comment.)

Thankyou

Jonathan
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

People have found problems obtaining suitable large helmets and this has resulted in then not taking part in their sport to the level they wanted to, due in part to the TT regulation. I assume a similar situation could arise in any form of cycling subject to regulations.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Has anyone looked at data for large helmet impacts compared with medium sized or smaller sized helmets?
drossall

Post by drossall »

I think we're wandering again. I still feel responsible. But this thread is about the practicalities of finding them.