Amusement

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
rmurphy195

Amusement

Post by rmurphy195 »

= What I feel when I read the threads on this section of the forum, well you've got to laugh haven't you !
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
mjr

Re: Amusement

Post by mjr »

If it didn't put so many in danger, it would be hilarious.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I understand the argument for/against helmets but is there really evidence that comments on these pages have actually put anyone in danger. Apart from theoretically?
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 10 Mar 2021, 11:05am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mjr wrote:If it didn't put so many in danger, it would be hilarious.

I don't think he really finds it amusing: I doubt he even cracked a smile.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Oldjohnw wrote:I understand the argument for/against helmets but is there really evidence that comments 9n these pages have actually put anyone in danger. Apart from theoretically?

The main danger isn't to the likes of yourself wearing a lid, it's for folk not going cycling and consequently not being active. Check out e.g. Peter Walker's recent "The Miracle Pill" for the degree to which inactivity is a deadly, widespread and expensive problem. There's an increasing pile of evidence that pushing helmets as a "solution" to cycle safety puts people off cycling.

(one might point to studies that helmets e.g. make neck injuries significantly more likely, but all the same reasons why the case/control work on head trauma isn't sound apply to other case/control work on helmets too, so cherry picking tends to be involved, and you've also got stuff where folk in helmets crash more but while that's a correlation it isn't necessarily causation at the individual level, which is probably what most individuals are interested in)

Pete.
Last edited by pjclinch on 1 Mar 2021, 8:43am, edited 1 time in total.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

pjclinch wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I understand the argument for/against helmets but is there really evidence that comments 9n these pages have actually put anyone in danger. Apart from theoretically?

The main danger isn't to the likes of yourself wearing a lid, it's for folk not going cycling and consequently not being active. Check out e.g. Peter Walker's recent "The Miracle Pill" for the degree to which inactivity is a deadly, widespread and expensive problem.

(one might point to studies that helmets e.g. make neck injuries significantly more likely, but all the same reasons why the case/control work on head trauma isn't sound apply to other case/control work on helmets too, so cherry picking tends to be involved, and you've also got stuff where folk in helmets crash more but while that's a correlation it isn't necessarily causation at the individual level, which is probably what most individuals are interested in)

Pete.

I don't usually wear a lid: sometimes swmbo requires it based on where I am going.
John
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

I understand the argument for/against helmets but is there really evidence that comments 9n these pages have actually put anyone in danger. Apart from theoretically?

There is evidence showing helmets incur more impacts than would occur for those not wearing.
There is evidence of some children being strangled by helmet straps.
There is evidence indicating a higher accident rate can occur to helmet wearers, due in part to helmets themselves.
There is evidence of an increased risk leading to postconcussion syndrome in adults.
There is evidence that helmet laws discourage cycling, with social, health and legal aspects.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

AFAIK there was one case of a child being strangled by a strap but not cycling. I would be interested in other evidence of this
John
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... se_revised
page 3, refer to Au info and 4 deaths. Which one did you have in mind?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_helmet has a section

https://www.cpsc.gov/Newsroom/News-Rele ... aygrounds/
One in Canada and one in the USA are mentioned.