A bit of anecdata

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
pjclinch

A bit of anecdata

Post by pjclinch »

This morning I was participating in a video shoot that Dundee City Council are doing with an aim of encouraging cycling. Having volunteered I was on the "I cycle to be kind to the environment" segment, turning up at a recycling centre on my cargo bike full of empty bottles. Instructions were wear what you'd usually wear, so there I was in my Walz cap, Stretch Bags and a normal-viz old polycotton jacket.

At some point we moved on to stills and I stood in with the bike front of a portable backdrop... which was caught by the wind and fell over, whacking me on the back of the head. Ouch!

Some take-aways...

- It hurt, and a helmet would almost certainly have offered useful protection
- Not being able to measure the force, I'd have had to assume the lid had taken its one-shot use and it would have cost me at least a tenner to get a new one
- I survived with a minor headache that I'd stopped noticing about 10 minutes later
- chap running the video shoot was far more worried about it than I was
- one of the team was from the Council's Community Health Partnership and is a doctor by trade. She didn't seem to think any more than asking if I was okay was merited, once I'd said I was.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Stevek76

Re: A bit of anecdata

Post by Stevek76 »

If you'd been wearing high viz that backdrop would have seen you and avoided... :D
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Stevek76 wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 3:07pm If you'd been wearing high viz that backdrop would have seen you and avoided... :D
Oddly enough, it was bright orange but I didn't see it coming... :|
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

OP says he was indeed wearing hi viz — it just shows that it doesn’t make any difference. :)