I bought a helmet

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
ClappedOut

Re: I bought a helmet

Post by ClappedOut »

Bruised /scuffed helmet, better than concussion.

Glad your ok
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

ClappedOut wrote: 19 May 2021, 6:02pm Bruised helmet, better than concussion.

Glad your ok
Thank you.
It was was the lightest of bumps and no harm to me or helmet. It did seem like a very serendipitous purchase though. I bravely rode on and listened to the oyster catchers and lapwings down on the estuary while most people were still in bed (sadly no curlews today which is the most haunting of songs).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

mjr wrote: 12 May 2021, 5:43pm Well done getting riding again.
Colin63 wrote: 12 May 2021, 5:37pm [...] this morning I paid £86.00 for my second Giro helmet - in real terms much cheaper than my first - and I feel more confident already. [...]
Danger Will Robinson! That is almost the literal definition of "risk compensation".

Sorry to tell you now, but I think you would have done much better spending £86 on Bikeability skills training.

Erm - the OP:

"I can't take my full weight on my left leg at present and feel that same vulnerability as I felt on the roads of DC. I'm afraid that a sudden stop will see me lose balance and end up on the pavement,"

That sounds like the exact situation a magic hat is designed for.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

This Forum seems to have more than it's fair share of anti-helmet types :roll: That's their choice.
I started wearing helmets in the early 90s.I think I've only ever needed one twice,once when I hit a tree mountain biking in Wales probably 10+ years ago and again this Sunday 30th May.
I was just returning to the Caravan site Sunday after a very nice ride in the Lincolnshire Fens when,for whatever reason investigation pending,the site security lowered the barrier straight on top of my head as I cycled past!This is one of those 150mm/6" tubular steel types about 4m/12' long.Gave me a right wallop.I wobbled to the kerb and had to sit down for a couple of minutes.My £120 Kask Mojito has a dint/crease in it but rather that than my head!
The guard's response?"good job you had a helmet on mate" No sorry etc!
My main concern is there are literally 100s of kids/parents who ride off site to the village and back,most without helmets,and had the barrier hit a child the out come could be far worse!
The nay sayers can say what they like but I know that both times my helmets saved me from a head injury.
Better to wear and never need than not wear and need.
I always wear one that's my choice.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Hellhound wrote: 1 Jun 2021, 8:21pm This Forum seems to have more than it's fair share of anti-helmet types :roll: That's their choice.
I started wearing helmets in the early 90s.I think I've only ever needed one twice,once when I hit a tree mountain biking in Wales probably 10+ years ago and again this Sunday 30th May.
I was just returning to the Caravan site Sunday after a very nice ride in the Lincolnshire Fens when,for whatever reason investigation pending,the site security lowered the barrier straight on top of my head as I cycled past!This is one of those 150mm/6" tubular steel types about 4m/12' long.Gave me a right wallop.I wobbled to the kerb and had to sit down for a couple of minutes.My £120 Kask Mojito has a dint/crease in it but rather that than my head!
My main concern is there are literally 100s of kids/parents who ride off site to the village and back,most without helmets,and had the barrier hit a child the out come could be far worse!
The nay sayers can say what they like but I know that both times my helmets saved me from a head injury.
Send them the bill
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

So what about those walking out?
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

ClappedOut wrote: 1 Jun 2021, 8:26pm Send them the bill
That will be discussed when she gets back to me with her findings.
Stevek76 wrote: 1 Jun 2021, 11:05pm So what about those walking out?
NA.
Those walking in/out use a separate footway or one of the many pedestrian only paths.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Having been on many camp sites, I have concerns about barriers, relying on someone or automatic system perhaps. They could have senors added to prohibit lowering if someone is close, or within a suitable distance. A traffic light type system may give some warning when due to be lowered.

This type of incident would be very infrequent compared with other situations when cycling. Overall, it would be quite unsuitable to judge the merits or other wise of helmet use. I think there may have been an incident on the Severn Bridge, not sure, mentioned on this forum previously?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Stevek76 wrote: 1 Jun 2021, 11:05pm
So what about those walking out?
The OP said
. I was just returning to the Caravan site
On every caravan site I’ve stayed at there is always a loop to the side of the barrier ( entry and exit) for pedestrians and cycles. On every site I stay at there is a sign advising vehicles to wait for the barrier to be down before letting it raise for you. ie Do Not follow the vehicle in front Do Not go through an open barrier.
I don’t wear a helmet but perhaps compensate for that by showing some caution?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Hellhound wrote: 1 Jun 2021, 8:21pm This Forum seems to have more than it's fair share of anti-helmet types :roll: That's their choice.
Very few anti-helmet types, a good number of people who are anti-compulsion or anti-promotion. Since the real "head injury" benefits are a net of zero +/- errors.
There are however a number of well discussed detrimental effects of promotion/compulsion, and the detrimental effects of those dwarf any positive or negative impact actually made by a few ounces of polystyrene.
So you hit a tree ten years ago, in a situation that is probably one that most would agree that a full face helmet is a reasonable precaution (even if just to avoid the scrapes from branches)
Well, a child may well have been through and clear, since they are lower than you. I'd suggest that you should get rid of that horrible upright bikes and ride something more sensible that would just go straight under the barrier whether it was up or down.

I suspect that the barrier wasn't deliberately closed on you, and that there are probably signs suggesting that you should wait for the barrier to be opened before proceeding.
Absolutely - but a scratch to the cheek is a head injury.
It will have saved you from a bruise, but very likely not from anything particularly significant.
Well I'm glad you wear one in the shower, and when climbing stairs, or in the kitchen.
Oh, you mean you've singled out one exceptionally safe activity for special treatment?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Paulatic wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 9:47am The OP said
. I was just returning to the Caravan site
On every caravan site I’ve stayed at there is always a loop to the side of the barrier ( entry and exit) for pedestrians and cycles. On every site I stay at there is a sign advising vehicles to wait for the barrier to be down before letting it raise for you. ie Do Not follow the vehicle in front Do Not go through an open barrier.
I don’t wear a helmet but perhaps compensate for that by showing some caution?
It ism't a caravan site like a CCC site etc it is a 'Holiday park' or 'resort' no tourers or camping just Caravans,lodges etc.It's one of those with fishing,Jet skiing,powerboat lakes that are popping up everywhere.
As I said there is a pavement for pedestrians at the side of the entry and exit road.There are no designated cycle paths so cyclist of all ages ride on the roads.If there are any signs I certainly haven't noticed any in the 100s of times I've driven and cycled through.I have also never seen either barriers down during daylight hours,hense the management wanting to know how this happened.The site speed limit is 5mph so if I had approached with any more caution I’d fall off.
[XAP]Bob wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 6:36pm
Very few anti-helmet types, a good number of people who are anti-compulsion or anti-promotion. Since the real "head injury" benefits are a net of zero +/- errors.
There are however a number of well discussed detrimental effects of promotion/compulsion, and the detrimental effects of those dwarf any positive or negative impact actually made by a few ounces of polystyrene.
So you hit a tree ten years ago, in a situation that is probably one that most would agree that a full face helmet is a reasonable precaution (even if just to avoid the scrapes from branches)
Well, a child may well have been through and clear, since they are lower than you. I'd suggest that you should get rid of that horrible upright bikes and ride something more sensible that would just go straight under the barrier whether it was up or down.

I suspect that the barrier wasn't deliberately closed on you, and that there are probably signs suggesting that you should wait for the barrier to be opened before proceeding.
Absolutely - but a scratch to the cheek is a head injury.
It will have saved you from a bruise, but very likely not from anything particularly significant.
Well I'm glad you wear one in the shower, and when climbing stairs, or in the kitchen.
Oh, you mean you've singled out one exceptionally safe activity for special treatment?
That exactly what I'd expect from researching this forum.The very fact that anything helmet related usually gets dumped into the 'helmet' section and some of the comments from the anti-squad are verging on ridiculous but thank you for your comments.
BTW have you ever seen what one of these old barriers can do to the roof of a car?I can say this for a fact it would be more than a bruise but once again I thank you for your completely irrelevant ramblings.
Like I have said I wear one it's my choice ,if you don't it's yours.I don't need your opinion on helmets as like most anti-anything it's generally poorly researched rubbish.
Now where's the ignore button....
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Hellhound wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 8:50pm
That exactly what I'd expect from researching this forum.
Did you come across the BMJ article by the Winton professor for the public understanding of risk and the Wellcome research fellow in epidemiology?

Not " generally poorly researched rubbish." but they cannot find any good evidence that helmets reduce casualties.

Read their article and think about it.

https://www.badscience.net/2013/12/bicy ... demiology/

https://www.badscience.net/wp-content/u ... .12.05.png
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Mike Sales wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 9:12pm
Hellhound wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 8:50pm
That exactly what I'd expect from researching this forum.
Did you come across the BMJ article by the Winton professor for the public understanding of risk and the Wellcome research fellow in epidemiology?

Not " generally poorly researched rubbish." but they cannot find any good evidence that helmets reduce casualties.

Read their article and think about it.

https://www.badscience.net/wp-content/u ... .12.05.png
The trouble is that for every article by a learned person against there's another one for :roll:
I've been wearing safety helmets of one kind or another for over 50 years.I read 100s of articles over the years and I choose to wear one.Why do anti-helmet cyclists feel they have to convert everyone who doesn't follow their thinking?It only happens with helmets.Sarcastic rubbish like the earl[er post from xapbob are far too common.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Hellhound wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 9:22pm

The trouble is that for every article by a learned person against there's another one for :roll:
I've been wearing safety helmets of one kind or another for over 50 years.I read 100s of articles over the years and I choose to wear one.Why do anti-helmet cyclists feel they have to convert everyone who doesn't follow their thinking?It only happens with helmets.Sarcastic rubbish like the earl[er post from xapbob are far too common.Why is it such an issue with the xapbobs of this world?
You were very keen to rubbish the opinions you do not agree with.
Surely you cannot take exception to a reply pointing out the weakness of your arguments?
Goldacre and Spiegelhalter are well qualified to assess the evidence and they have looked at it with an expert eye.

[Xap]Bob was not being sarcastic. He was pointing out that there are many other activities which sometimes produce head injuries, and most people would think it ludicrous to wear a helmet for them.
You will find, in any neurological ward, more head injuries produced by riding in a car which is involved in an impact, airbags notwithstanding, than cyclists.
Helmets for motorists have been marketed but for some reason did not catch on.
If you had really looked through the many posts here, I would not need to rehearse the evidence yet again.
Did you read their article?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

In any case, there are serious doubts about the effectiveness of helmets. They are, and can only be, designed to withstand minor knocks and falls, not serious traffic collisions. Some evidence suggests they may in fact increase the risk of cyclists having falls or collisions in the first place, or suffering neck injuries.

see https://www.cyclinguk.org/campaigning/v ... le-helmets

The topic is more complicated than most people may expect.