I bought a helmet

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
[XAP]Bob

Re: I bought a helmet

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Hellhound wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 8:50pm That exactly what I'd expect from researching this forum.The very fact that anything helmet related usually gets dumped into the 'helmet' section and some of the comments from the anti-squad are verging on ridiculous but thank you for your comments.
BTW have you ever seen what one of these old barriers can do to the roof of a car?I can say this for a fact it would be more than a bruise but once again I thank you for your completely irrelevant ramblings.
Like I have said I wear one it's my choice ,if you don't it's yours.I don't need your opinion on helmets as like most anti-anything it's generally poorly researched rubbish.
Now where's the ignore button....
If you don't want other peoples researched opinions on helmets why are you posting unsubstantiated claims of benefit in here.

Yes - I have seen a barrier impact a car, not for a very long time though - there is a very significant advantage that a human has - they aren't solidly braced against the floor. That fact alone massively reduces impact, and on the basis that I can't find any news item ever of anyone outside a vehicle being killed by an operating barrier (though I can find ones where motorists have been killed by them) suggests that I am right.

I found one case where a gentleman was struck on the head without warning (https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/790001 ... e-on-head/)
It's nearly ten years ago, and didn't result in his skull exploding and causing bone shrapnel injuries to those around (yes, I am exaggerating for effect). It gave him a good whack, and as far as we can tell didn't result in more than a bruise (in terms of physical trauma there is no report on the CT outcome, which strongly implies that there wasn't further damage) and a pretty significant headache (as reported and further evidenced by the decision to have a CT scan).

I don't need your opinion
on anything that I have made my mind up on and post unsubstantiated rubbish about on the internet.

I fully support your choice to wear one, not your choice to promote them as a significant safety measure - because, outside of very specific cases, they aren't an effective one and their mere promotion is known to suppress cycling, which is far more detrimental to health and wellbeing than any possible change from wearing a magic hat.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mike Sales wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 9:37pm
Hellhound wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 9:22pm Sarcastic rubbish like the earl[er post from xapbob are far too common.
You were very keen to rubbish the opinions you do not agree with.
Surely you cannot take exception to a reply pointing out the weakness of your arguments?
Goldacre and Spiegelhalter are well qualified to assess the evidence and they have looked at it with an expert eye.

[Xap]Bob was not being sarcastic. He was pointing out that there are many other activities which sometimes produce head injuries, and most people would think it ludicrous to wear a helmet for them.
You will find, in any neurological ward, more head injuries produced by riding in a car which is involved in an impact, airbags notwithstanding, than cyclists.
Helmets for motorists have been marketed but for some reason did not catch on.
If you had really looked through the many posts here, I would not need to rehearse the evidence yet again.
Did you read their article?
No sarcasm at all.
You really think that riding a bike is more dangerous than virtually any other activity you do?

The leading cause of deaths in the UK is heart disease and dementia - both of which are strongly protected against by increased activity.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

Reclaiming my thread here…
I've been wearing this thing for a few weeks now and here are some impressions for those interested:
Firstly is that the streamlining advantages have increased my cycling efficiency by 0.001%. I think it looks pretty good and is quite subtle compared to some others I've seen. It's not caused any overheating. It has MIPS and I like that a lot – It means that I can make the helmet perfectly fit my head with no pressure points so it's very comfortable to the point of me not being aware that I'm wearing it. I'm sure I could leave it on after I get home without realising. I like the straps as well - while I've been ill my weight has increased by 14kg and my head has become a beachball with a face, the straps are really comfortable and feel as if they'll adjust perfectly as I lose weight and get down to my old ruggedly handsome self.
So while I'm no expert on the subject I'll give this lid very high marks for comfort and quality. Here's a shot of Mr Beachball last week as I made a video out on the Lune Estuary cyclepath and another of a far skinnier me from a quarter of a century ago wearing my mushroom helmet somewhere in the Sonora Desert near Phoenix (the bike is a lovely Terry Dolan built Ribble dripping with Campag, but that's another story)
Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 16.37.31.jpg
Me in the desert.jpg
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Colin63 wrote: 7 Jun 2021, 5:16pm Reclaiming my thread here…
I've been wearing this thing for a few weeks now and here are some impressions for those interested:
Firstly is that the streamlining advantages have increased my cycling efficiency by 0.001%. I think it looks pretty good and is quite subtle compared to some others I've seen. It's not caused any overheating. It has MIPS and I like that a lot – It means that I can make the helmet perfectly fit my head with no pressure points so it's very comfortable to the point of me not being aware that I'm wearing it. I'm sure I could leave it on after I get home without realising. I like the straps as well - while I've been ill my weight has increased by 14kg and my head has become a beachball with a face, the straps are really comfortable and feel as if they'll adjust perfectly as I lose weight and get down to my old ruggedly handsome self.
So while I'm no expert on the subject I'll give this lid very high marks for comfort and quality. Here's a shot of Mr Beachball last week as I made a video out on the Lune Estuary cyclepath and another of a far skinnier me from a quarter of a century ago wearing my mushroom helmet somewhere in the Sonora Desert near Phoenix (the bike is a lovely Terry Dolan built Ribble dripping with Campag, but that's another story)

Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 16.37.31.jpgMe in the desert.jpg
Excellent.

Well fitted is absolutely key, and that strap is much better fitted than most photographs of helmeted cyclists.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Comfort is the key of course, I've got a funny shaped head so I struggle to find a helmet to fit I've got one and I keep buying any I see because they're relatively cheap, tics all my boxes on functionality and comfort.
Also on comfort helmet to keep your head cool, unless you're stationary in the rain it keeps dry too.
I'm not getting into any discussions on whether or not people should or should not wear them I think that's a real personal choice and people should go along with what they think personally.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Colin63 wrote: 7 Jun 2021, 5:16pm Reclaiming my thread here…

Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 16.37.31.jpgMe in the desert.jpg
That's the key,fit and comfort 8)
My helmet was replaced with a shiny new Kask Mojito3 last week along with an apology.They are still looking into the incident.By replacing the lid are they accepting blame?I don't know but as a goodwill gesture it goes a long way with me.
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

Hellhound wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 1:59pm My helmet was replaced with a shiny new Kask Mojito3 last week along with an apology.They are still looking into the incident.By replacing the lid are they accepting blame?I don't know but as a goodwill gesture it goes a long way with me.
That's good to hear. Three cheers for Goodwill and Graciousness.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Jdsk wrote: 12 May 2021, 5:57pm
Colin63 wrote: 12 May 2021, 5:37pmThis week I've started riding again after a longish period of illness and injury.
Well done on getting back on the saddle.

Jonathan
+1 - Though I spend about £30 -£35 on mine, just wait for the sales so I get 'em at sale prices!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
ravi

Post by ravi »

Alright, so I'm wanting to buy my gear to take my MSF course, and I wanna buy my helmet online (only because it's cheaper) but I've heard that a medium in one brand may be a small/large in another.
192.168.0.1 router login 192.168.l.l
So is there another way of getting around this? I don't wanna be that guy that goes in and tries on helmets in the brick and mortar then goes on to just buy it online. Because that's pretty douchey.

Thanks!!
Last edited by ravi on 16 Feb 2022, 11:28am, edited 1 time in total.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Colin63 wrote: 12 May 2021, 5:37pm Some years ago (1995 I think) I bought my first helmet. I was in Washington DC and as I was unfamiliar with riding bicycles there I decided that a helmet was no bad idea (the following year in Phoenix I lost my bearings and one of my nine lives by riding straight across a busy three-lane highway after looking the wrong way for traffic). I bought a Giro for $69.00 from a little shop in Maryland. It looked like a mushroom and I stuck with it for quite some time when back home in the UK, but I didn't really like it and so it ended up in the cellar where it quickly went mouldy and was eventually turned into a hanging basket.
This week I've started riding again after a longish period of illness and injury. After just two trips through Lancaster city centre I'm feeling unease among the traffic. I can't take my full weight on my left leg at present and feel that same vulnerability as I felt on the roads of DC. I'm afraid that a sudden stop will see me lose balance and end up on the pavement, so this morning I paid £86.00 for my second Giro helmet - in real terms much cheaper than my first - and I feel more confident already.
My initial impression is surprise at just how comfortable/unnoticeable this modern helmet is (it's called an Agilis if that's useful). The mushroom was sweaty and only roughly head-shaped, this new one is as light as a feather and adjusts to a perfect Colin-shaped fit. I'm rather annoyed at having to part with so much money on something so soulless and mass-produced, but my prejudice against helmets per se has taken a battering by the advances made since
I found the same -- my head is not round like a ball as helmets for a long time seemed to be -- until I bought an expensive-ish helmet which fitted better but as I later found out didn't come down far enough on my forehead and my fault, I didn't really tighten it enough. ( it sort of sat atop my head so unless you fall right on your crown it won't protect you most head bumps will be to the side.)

I ditched that one after a bad off and got one of those Giros ( about £80 I think ) -- brilliant -- not only did it fit well and cover my head better but it was still comfortable and light.
Last edited by Cowsham on 7 Mar 2022, 7:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am here. Where are you?
50sbiker

Post by 50sbiker »

Go and bang your head off the wall a few times...or scrape your head down the gravel...with and without helmet..Take some pix even.Then tell yourself a helmet makes no difference.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

:o ....................
I am here. Where are you?
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

50sbiker wrote: 19 Feb 2022, 1:01pm Go and bang your head off the wall a few times...or scrape your head down the gravel...with and without helmet..Take some pix even.Then tell yourself a helmet makes no difference.
Then go replace your helmet as recommended.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

50sbiker wrote: 19 Feb 2022, 1:01pm Go and bang your head off the wall a few times...or scrape your head down the gravel...with and without helmet..Take some pix even.Then tell yourself a helmet makes no difference.
Go and knee a wall a few times…or scrape your knee down the gravel…with and without a kneepad…Take some pix. even. Then tell yourself kneepads make no difference.
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

Colin63 wrote: 19 May 2021, 5:52pm
Jdsk wrote: 19 May 2021, 4:23pm
PS: You should read what the squirrels are saying about this on their web forum!
I looked. They're divided. Some some suggesting treeability training for all, others insisting that they they're innately arboreal and agile and should be allowed to choose whether to run across trails or leap from limb to limb. Reds and greys obviously sit in different camps (reds being more agile). Occasionally a pine martin troll joins in with its own interpretation of woodland lore but they tend not to understand woodland ecology and are always thinking about their own next meal without seeing themselves as a part of the bigger picture..
I don't have anything to say here on the subject of helmets, but OP, I like your style.