Liberating

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Nigel

Re: Liberating

Post by Nigel »

SimonCelsa wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 6:30pm
pjclinch wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 2:28pm I also use a cotton duck Tilley T1 bucket hat if it's very sunny, as that gives sun protection to my ears and a bit at the back too. With the turned down brim it works better on the bike at anything like speed than a "normal" Tilley.
I frequently wear a Tilley, the model T3. 'Guaranteed for life, replaced free if it ever wears out'.

Unfortunately it did actually wear out after 6 years. Did they honour their replacement policy?....................................Yes!!! Highly recommended.
We're about to really test the system..... a guarantee replacement T3 has worn through, so will be contacting them for a replacement replacement...

- Nigel
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Nigel wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 8:48am
SimonCelsa wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 6:30pm
pjclinch wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 2:28pm I also use a cotton duck Tilley T1 bucket hat if it's very sunny, as that gives sun protection to my ears and a bit at the back too. With the turned down brim it works better on the bike at anything like speed than a "normal" Tilley.
I frequently wear a Tilley, the model T3. 'Guaranteed for life, replaced free if it ever wears out'.

Unfortunately it did actually wear out after 6 years. Did they honour their replacement policy?....................................Yes!!! Highly recommended.
We're about to really test the system..... a guarantee replacement T3 has worn through, so will be contacting them for a replacement replacement...
The replacement system is a bit different during the outbreak, but it does work.

Jonathan
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

He,
Mike Sales wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 9:48am
mattheus wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 9:41am Excellent news!
TrevA wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 5:19pm I’ve had a negative reaction from a few riding mates who continue to wear theirs.
Tell them to go forth and <this post has been redacted>
On a club run I was told that I looked good on the bike but I would look better in a helmet.
"No, I would look a pratt like you."
That's a bit tough so everyone who wears helmet is a prat?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 10:15am
Spur of the moment banter as we rode along, but one can get a bit fed up of being told one should wear a helmet.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Paulatic wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 12:14pm It’s good the OP has thought about it.
I think some people just don’t think. I passed a JOGLEr this morning. Four panniers in blazing sunshine wearing helmet with light stuck on the top.
I think he was in more risk of overheating and laying himself open to making bad decisions because of his discomfort than he ever was of falling off at 9 mph.
I didn’t ask why you need a light in July :D
That might of been me apart from the fact that I don't use four panniers but two.
And the light would probably be because I've been riding at night while you are tucked up in bed :)
Seriously though this is just turning out to be another hate thread...............
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Deep breaths, folks, please.

It's interesting to hear what others choose to do in the heat and to share experiences.

But another divisive argument about the general issue of wearing helmets might not be the best outcome for this thread.

Thanks

Jonathan
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Mike Sales wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 10:24am
Spur of the moment banter as we rode along, but one can get a bit fed up of being told one should wear a helmet.
Yes I quite understand what you were saying.
I don't think anyone's ever told me not to wear my helmet certainly not to my face anyway or within earshot.
but I always ride solo.
Ignore them, And wear a modified tea cosy............What's that for? It keeps me ears warm :lol:
Attachments
90BFDEA7-243E-4A14-AF0D-043F4059944F.jpeg
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I have a T3 I use walking, though I find the T1 better suited to the bike as the brim doesn't get so twisted in the wind (be that self generated or ambient).

Crown pocket handy for a "just in case" face-mask now the nice weather is lowering other pocket possibilities.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 10:34am Hi,
Mike Sales wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 10:24am
Yes I quite understand what you were saying.
I don't think anyone's ever told me not to wear my helmet certainly not to my face anyway or within earshot.
but I always ride solo.
No, you probably haven't - whereas everyone that rides bare-headed will at some point receive some "advice" about it.
(if they go on the internet, they will DEFINITELY get this advice!)
Only this morning I saw a score of people agreeing with a radio station statement that cyclists should be required to wear them.

I think Mike's comment was quite understandable - the other rider was being a pratt to tell Mike what to wear.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

mattheus wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 11:45am
No, you probably haven't - whereas everyone that rides bare-headed will at some point receive some "advice" about it.
(if they go on the internet, they will DEFINITELY get this advice!)
I'm a qualified Bikeability Scotland instructor. I gave my time away to teach it as a volunteer, but I always made a point of riding like I usually ride in that sort of un-sporty context, not using any special gear. Last time I did it I had anonymous parental complaints that I "set a bad example". There is nothing in the curriculum or National Standards requiring or even recommending their use for training, but despite that the Local Authority didn't back me up, and now none in Scotland will let me give my time away to teach (Cycling Scotland were happy to pay me as a consultant to feed in to the last revision of the resources, but Local Authorities actually in charge of delivering the course can't have the likes of me being seen by children learning to ride). I get a lot of respect from people that actually know what they're on about, but as far as Local Authorities are concerned I'm a dangerous heretic and can't be trusted.

I've had abuse shouted at me in the streets for riding with my kids without helmets, back when they were at school they were frequently lectured by peers and teachers that they were in the wrong (I demanded that staff at their primary school not do that, backed up with a lot of evidence, and while the school complied with my request it made me persona non-grata as far as the Head was concerned).

And on the Internet, of course, I've been subject to a constant stream of abuse ranging up to pretty much having blood on my hands.

I'm not going to try and pretend it's anything like as bad as everyday racism/sexism for folk that suffer from those, but I think it's fair to say that it's difficult to understand just how much grief one can get for breaking with the main UK helmet culture if you always ride in a lid.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

it's difficult to understand just how much grief one can get for breaking with the main UK helmet culture if you always ride in a lid
That's when you get patronised.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

pjclinch wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 10:48am I'm not going to try and pretend it's anything like as bad as everyday racism/sexism for folk that suffer from those, but I think it's fair to say that it's difficult to understand just how much grief one can get for breaking with the main UK helmet culture if you always ride in a lid.
Isn't it a shame? Regular cyclists must all know what it's like to be abused as a minority, and yet some choose to belittle/abuse a minority of their brothers/sisters on bikes.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mattheus wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 11:41am
pjclinch wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 10:48am I'm not going to try and pretend it's anything like as bad as everyday racism/sexism for folk that suffer from those, but I think it's fair to say that it's difficult to understand just how much grief one can get for breaking with the main UK helmet culture if you always ride in a lid.
Isn't it a shame? Regular cyclists must all know what it's like to be abused as a minority, and yet some choose to belittle/abuse a minority of their brothers/sisters on bikes.
I am not sure whether I dislike helmet advice from drivers more or less than from cyclists.
By the way, didn't pj mean to write "always ride without a lid"?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike Sales wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 11:46amBy the way, didn't pj mean to write "always ride without a lid"?
I read that as describing the limited experience of those who always wear a helmet...

Jonathan
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 11:47am
Mike Sales wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 11:46amBy the way, didn't pj mean to write "always ride without a lid"?
I read that as describing the limited experience of those who always wear a helmet...

Jonathan
Thanks, that makes sense of it.