Helmet life

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Mike Sales

Re: Helmet life

Post by Mike Sales »

kylecycler wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 8:07pm
Sweep wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 6:52pm I agree. I was being sarky.
My wiggle helmet is being changed no time soon.
Oh right, I see. Yeah, I knew you knew their helmets hadn't changed! :)

You do wonder, though, how much fake 'built in obsolescence' there is in the cycle industry. Five years for a helmet may or may not be an example of that (not sure it is, tbh), but there are plenty of examples of so-called progress being no progress at all; in reality it's just to keep folk replacing old with new.
**New, Improved** is a constant of marketing. From soap powder onwards.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Mike Sales wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 8:10pm New, Improved is a constant of marketing. From soap powder onwards.
And dog and cat food - never been sure what to make of Eddie Izzard, but this is genuinely funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LxxrwiOfA0&t=194s
nirakaro

How long do helmets last?

Post by nirakaro »

Forever, I'd imagine, barring accidents. But maybe I'm wrong? Does the plastic degrade over time? Should I be thinking of replacing the helmet I've had for six or seven years?
And if not, how do you clean the straps, that get all horrid and manky?
gaz

Re: How long do helmets last?

Post by gaz »

link removed. topics merged by moderator
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Thanks for that – a lot of varying views expressed. The takeaway that I distilled it all down to was this bit –
"In short I worry as much about this as my underwear being eaten by rats." :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

nirakaro wrote: 13 Mar 2022, 8:53am Thanks for that – a lot of varying views expressed. The takeaway that I distilled it all down to was this bit –
Confirmation bias is alive and well, eh?

If you're going to believe the maker that their product offers a significant benefit, why disbelieve them about its lifespan? Irrational position.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

nirakaro wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 7:53pm Forever, I'd imagine, barring accidents?
Typically 3 years best case, then best to replace as advised by manufacturers
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

They would advise that, wouldn't they?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

nirakaro wrote: 13 Mar 2022, 8:53am Thanks for that – a lot of varying views expressed. The takeaway that I distilled it all down to was this bit –
Now that is bloody worrying if you're wearing it at the time.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

thirdcrank wrote: 13 Mar 2022, 11:08am They would advise that, wouldn't they?
They would, but it is in line with the "just in case" nature of the product.
I've had cause to inspect a lot of helmets over the years as helmet checks are a typical start to Bikeability or coaching sessions and while they're mostly okay you do occasionally come across ones with visible cracks despite no formal "hits". I imagine you can get cracks that start at the outside edge that weaken the lid a fair bit while not propagating to the side you can see.

If you're wearing a lid for "what if" reasoning then it makes a degree of sense to assume the worse about a helmet's ongoing integrity too, because "what if?"...

If you're wearing it as you just feel happier wearing it, and the fact that it's a few years over the recommended use-by doesn't bother you, then I suppose it's still doing the job you wear it for.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
nirakaro wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 7:53pm Forever, I'd imagine, barring accidents. But maybe I'm wrong? Does the plastic degrade over time? Should I be thinking of replacing the helmet I've had for six or seven years?
And if not, how do you clean the straps, that get all horrid and manky?
I wash my helmet everytime I use it as I normally sweat most rides.
I normally after doing washing of dishes, dunk the straps in the warm water and wipe off the outer shell with a sponge, then squeeze the dish water with a sponge onto the foam padding inside, rinse off under hot tap the foam bits and straps then hang to dry.
I like to point out that I normally rinse off all the dishes before I wash then so the water is quite clean.
Apart from breaking two helmets in two years, I normally stop using helmet when the foam pads start to disintegrate.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

I think I might be correct in saying my Kask has a 6 years advisory assuming it isn’t in an accident.I wear a skull cap under it all year round so only the straps get white stains from sweat.I just wipe the straps down with a damp cloth.I’ve never kept one 6 years as I like to change colours long before then.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Maillot Rouge wrote: 15 Mar 2022, 9:31pm I’ve never kept one 6 years as I like to change colours long before then.
Can't help but ask, does that apply to your bikes? :D
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

kylecycler wrote: 15 Mar 2022, 10:35pm
Maillot Rouge wrote: 15 Mar 2022, 9:31pm I’ve never kept one 6 years as I like to change colours long before then.
Can't help but ask, does that apply to your bikes? :D
Yes and no.
I usually change my bikes every two years but usually go for one of the same two colours,silver or black.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Maillot Rouge wrote: 16 Mar 2022, 10:22amYes and no.
I usually change my bikes every two years but usually go for one of the same two colours,silver or black.
There was a chap on STW who only bought black and white bikes as he reckoned his wife wouldn't look too closely if the number and colour of the bikes didn't change.